Maybe Going To Buy 14-in. MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@lclev @MacInWin So, you're not concerned about the "beta testing" phenomenon?

For me, I try to get as many years out a machine as I can. For instance, my Mid-2010 MBP will no longer accept any OS updates/upgrades. It's max-ed out. I'll run it until it craps out. But I'm not a gamer or graphics person.
I don't know what you mean by "beta testing," but in this case my MBP mid-2015 was slowly failing. It was readily dropping in battery level, then recovering, then dropping. And then randomly rebooting. I couldn't count on it for anything critical. I knew I wanted a new machine, but when I heard that Apple was making a larger screen MBP, I was very interested. I had previously had a 17" MBP that I loved for the screen size. The 15" was just a bit small for me, but the 17" was no longer available, so I nursed the 15" along until the order date, as I said. Placed the order in the first five minutes it was possible. And I love the 16" M1 MBP.

To me, hardware is a pretty solid product for Apple. After all, hardware is what they make to sell. They give away the operating system and a lot of applications, but the sell the hardware. So the sharp focus on hardware generally means it is highly reliable and failures are rare.

And I'm with Lisa on wondering if those folks who say they are waiting for the "next big thing" ever order anything. There will always be the prospect of "something better next ...." when you buy anything. Next year's car, next model TV, newer homes, better mobile phone, newer..., newer...., newer.... If you wait for the next better thing, you never have anything. I buy when I need, never look back. When something newer comes out, I'll take note, but don't ever say, "I should have waited."

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "beta testing,"

Beta testing, as I understand it, is when a manufacturer releases a device to the public with the expectation that the public's experience with the device will be the last phase of product testing.

I had previously had a 17" MBP that I loved for the screen size.

I had one of those. It was good.

To me, hardware is a pretty solid product for Apple.

I'm a fan, and have had good experience with Apple until the 2017 MBP. I still have my first computer, a Macintosh Plus, in a box in my apartment. Pound for pound, its hardware and construction may be better made than any of the new computers I have owned.

I'm a buyer, but at current prices my buying has slowed a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I think if you’re not a video or gamer user, an M1pro will be blindingly super fast compared to where you are now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beta testing, as I understand it, is when a manufacturer releases a device to the public with the expectation that the public's experience with the device will be the last phase of product testing.

I had one of those. It was good.

I'm a fan, and have had good experience with Apple until the 2017 MBP. I still have my first computer, a Macintosh Plus, in a box in my apartment. Pound for pound, its hardware and construction may be better made than any of the new computers I have owned.

I'm a buyer, but at current prices my buying has slowed a bit.
Oh, I know the definition of "beta test" and your definition is NOT it. Beta testing is actually the second phase of testing where new testers, who have not seen the product before, use to to determine any bugs that the original testers did not find. It typically involves external users in real-world environments who report meticulously on what they find. Here is the dictionary definition:
: a field test of the beta version of a product (such as software) especially by testers outside the company developing it that is conducted prior to commercial release
Commercial release, or the final product, is the result of the beta testing and the changes that result from it. There are cynics these days who think companies release too early, letting early adopters fulfill the beta testing, but the downside to that is that if Apple were to do that with hardware, the repair rates would go through the roof and warranty costs would skyrocket. So, I would bet that for hardware, Apple has a cadre of trusted beta testers who they know will actually exercise the devices in real world environments and do a good job of reporting. Every once in a while the beta testing escapes into the open, like when someone left an early iPhone, I think it was, in a public restaurant or bar in California and it got some press. There are also some ways that investigators can sense new hardware in the internet, which the rumor mills jump on pretty quickly, so letting the beta test machine out of Apple Park is probably a well-controlled event in the life cycle of hardware.

Any company that tries to use the paying consumer to be the final beta testers is going to die quickly. I might buy a product from a company once that way, but never again. I don't pay commercial prices for untested products knowingly. I expect the hardware to work or be fully supported by the company if it doesn't. A design may change, but if I find I bought a "test" machine, I won't go back to that company for anything, ever.

Now, for software, Apple does use a phase called "public beta test" for OS releases, but nobody is paying for it, and I bet Apple gets very little good feedback from it. Beta testing software is a science, and the tester needs to push the "boundaries" to see if they can break the software. Beta testing a browser? Open 20 pages, then 200, then 2000, to see how many you can have open at the same time and not crash. Beta Testing a word processor? Exercise every option for format, text, layout, import, export, save, recover, etc. Bang on keys and key combinations both in an not in the user guides. Try different hardware, networking. Basically, try to break it, any way you can. So, the "public beta" testing from Apple is really just a pre-release to the public for which they expect little actual results. I would be surprised if 1% of those who install the public betas ever actually report anything useful. Actually, I'd make that 0.1%! But again, it's all free to the consumers who install it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
@lclev @MacInWin So, you're not concerned about the "beta testing" phenomenon?
Yes, which is the reason I didn't buy the first M1's that came out. I waited for the reviews, did tons of research and reading. My previous MBP was a 2020 13" i7 - 32Gb. It was fine for very small projects and photo work. We also have two 16" 2020 MBP's at work. One i7/16gb and one i9/32gb. Their users like them but they get so hot when they are encoding. I wanted to get away from Intel and the heat they generate. Plus the M1's are just crazy fast! I knew I was taking a chance with the apps I use and compatibility but so far, I have not had any issues.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
@lclev I was considering getting the annual, renewable Apple Care coverage on any new computer. Have felt the need for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@lclev I was considering getting the annual, renewable Apple Care coverage on any new computer. Have felt the need for that?
I don't think it's an annual, renewable service. It's called APpleCare+ and it's for three years in the US. Not renewable (at this point, anyway). And I recommend it. The prices on fixing M1 systems is very high. That high cost is because almost any failure will mean replacing the logic board, which is very expensive. There is no separate RAM or SSD, it's all integrated into the System-on-a-chip that is M1. You can read about AC+ here: AppleCare Products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always get Apple Care on any iMac/laptop as a rule.

Yes I considered these MacBook pros kind of the second edition of the new M1 platform.

Reaction score
When I got my 2012 MBP I had a choice between, as I recall, a 12" or a 16". The 12" was too small. It turns out the 16" was too big. I got a 14" last December and it is just right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I get Applecare+ on all my apple products. I have had to use it a few times but it pays for itself if something happens.
And yes, apple now offers renewable Applecare+ coverage billed once a year for the MBP's.

AppleCare+.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More info on AppleCare+ annual coverage. For my 2021 14" MBP it will cost $99 + tax/year until cancelled. While I like that option I have some gripes about it. For instance - if you forget to cancel it they will continue to bill you even if you no longer own the device and it has been erased, sold, and is attached to a new apple id. I know this as I gave my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my granddaughter and I am still getting a monthly bill. Since it is a granddaughter and I know how life is for her phone I haven't cancelled it. But Apple does not make it easy to cancel. Read below:

"For Annual Plans:
To cancel an Annual Plan, you may:
(A) Turn off your next Annual Plan renewal through your billing platform. You may also have the option to turn off Annual renewal billing directly on your Covered Device; or
(B) Call your billing provider (whether a Reseller or Apple) to cancel your Annual Plan."

If you forget - Apple will not! I always save those billing emails as they have the device name and serial number on it. That way I can call apple and cancel the plan if needed.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh wow, this is new! So, after my 3 years of applecare I can continue to extend past the 3 years as long as I pay the yearly?

if so I’d definitely do that for a few years after.

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "beta testing," but in this case my MBP mid-2015 was slowly failing. It was readily dropping in battery level, then recovering, then dropping. And then randomly rebooting. I couldn't count on it for anything critical. I knew I wanted a new machine, but when I heard that Apple was making a larger screen MBP, I was very interested. I had previously had a 17" MBP that I loved for the screen size. The 15" was just a bit small for me, but the 17" was no longer available, so I nursed the 15" along until the order date, as I said. Placed the order in the first five minutes it was possible. And I love the 16" M1 MBP.

To me, hardware is a pretty solid product for Apple. After all, hardware is what they make to sell. They give away the operating system and a lot of applications, but the sell the hardware. So the sharp focus on hardware generally means it is highly reliable and failures are rare.

And I'm with Lisa on wondering if those folks who say they are waiting for the "next big thing" ever order anything. There will always be the prospect of "something better next ...." when you buy anything. Next year's car, next model TV, newer homes, better mobile phone, newer..., newer...., newer.... If you wait for the next better thing, you never have anything. I buy when I need, never look back. When something newer comes out, I'll take note, but don't ever say, "I should have waited."
I'm in no rush. My 10 year old MBA should be good till then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These new apple silicon things are crazy fast. I don’t think I could max this thing out if I tried!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh wow, this is new! So, after my 3 years of applecare I can continue to extend past the 3 years as long as I pay the yearly?

if so I’d definitely do that for a few years after.
No, you had to have bought a new apple device - iPhone or laptop (not sure about any other devices) and select the yearly renewable choice at checkout. If you currently have a three year plan I do not believe you can extend it. Also I read that with the yearly renewable plan Apple can end it if the device becomes so old they no longer have repair parts. They send you a 60 day notice before cancelling.

This is a new plan they are offering.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you had to have bought a new apple device - iPhone or laptop (not sure about any other devices) and select the yearly renewable choice at checkout. If you currently have a three year plan I do not believe you can extend it. Also I read that with the yearly renewable plan Apple can end it if the device becomes so old they no longer have repair parts. They send you a 60 day notice before cancelling.

This is a new plan they are offering.

Lisa
****, that wasn't an option when I got this MBP, it only showed me the usual AppleCare+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, that wasn't an option when I got this MBP, it only showed me the usual AppleCare+
Okay so you are in Toronto? This could be the reason. It may be a U.S. thing. Sorry, that is my best guess.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, in the great white north. Which is pretty white right now.

OP
M
Reaction score
More info on AppleCare+ annual coverage. For my 2021 14" MBP it will cost $99 + tax/year until cancelled. While I like that option I have some gripes about it. For instance - if you forget to cancel it they will continue to bill you even if you no longer own the device and it has been erased, sold, and is attached to a new apple id. I know this as I gave my iPhone 12 Pro Max to my granddaughter and I am still getting a monthly bill. Since it is a granddaughter and I know how life is for her phone I haven't cancelled it. But Apple does not make it easy to cancel. Read below:

"For Annual Plans:
To cancel an Annual Plan, you may:
(A) Turn off your next Annual Plan renewal through your billing platform. You may also have the option to turn off Annual renewal billing directly on your Covered Device; or
(B) Call your billing provider (whether a Reseller or Apple) to cancel your Annual Plan."

If you forget - Apple will not! I always save those billing emails as they have the device name and serial number on it. That way I can call apple and cancel the plan if needed.

Lisa

Thanks for that feedback. I suppose that every company wants to suck you in to a "subscription service," one way or the other. We, as Apple fans, are disappointed when Apple decides to "be evil" like the rest.

OP
M
Reaction score
I picked up my MBP yesterday. Here's the invoice (in case you are wondering what they did in the way of repairs):

Attachments

• Parts and Services.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.