Maybe Going To Buy 14-in. MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
But Apple does not make it easy to cancel. Read below:

"For Annual Plans:
To cancel an Annual Plan, you may:
(A) Turn off your next Annual Plan renewal through your billing platform.
Lisa, I don't see that process as being particularly difficult. You set it up to be paid automatically to some payment system (credit card, direct withdrawal from your account, whatever). All you do is stop the automatic payment authority. You don't even need to wait until it gets close. Just turn off the automatic authority before the payment comes due. Done. When Apple doesn't get paid, coverage ends.

I suppose that every company wants to suck you in to a "subscription service," one way or the other. We, as Apple fans, are disappointed when Apple decides to "be evil" like the rest.
I find this a very strange philosophy for what is basically an insurance policy. Does your life insurance require regular payments? Home/renters insurance? Auto insurance? AppleCare+ is an insurance policy against any failures on your Apple product, whatever it is that is covered. They used to sell a one-time, three year insurance policy that was not renewable, and now they offer an annual payment for about 1/3 the money that is renewable as long as the device is not declared "obsolescent," at which time all service ends anyway. I don't see how this is "evil" at all. Maybe it's me, but annual insurance payments give me better options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Lisa, I don't see that process as being particularly difficult. You set it up to be paid automatically to some payment system (credit card, direct withdrawal from your account, whatever). All you do is stop the automatic payment authority. You don't even need to wait until it gets close. Just turn off the automatic authority before the payment comes due. Done. When Apple doesn't get paid, coverage ends.
Well, I haven't figured out how to turn off an auto payment on a credit card - yet! Just not a situation I have come across.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, I haven't figured out how to turn off an auto payment on a credit card - yet! Just not a situation I have come across.

Lisa

I just ordered a MBP 14-in. Same specs as yours. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think if you’re not a video or gamer user, an M1pro will be blindingly super fast compared to where you are now.
I don't agree with you there Groovetube, if you are a video fan or video editor macOS is definitely the way to go for all your video and audio media needs. As for games, I have been a "gamer" for years and although new releases of games are sometimes limited to faster GPUs and CPU's that is the fault of the developers as much as the limitations of older mac models.
I have a 2015 MBPr which I have played GPU intensive 3D games such as Rage, Bioshock, Borderlands, Doom and Quake to mention just a few. There is a new version of Borderlands 3 that will not play on this device but most assuredly will on the M1 Pro I will be buying soon.
It has been the developers that have limited some games to certain platforms like PlayStation, X-Box and Windows but these too are available to Mac users on Steam.
Personally I think with the innovation of the new generation of M1 and MX devices we will start to see the big game developers providing more games for the macOS platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I think you misunderstand my post. I was just saying that if you don’t plan on heavier requirements video wise the M1pro is gonna be super fast for you. But if you do (video editing gaming etc) it’s better to go max for the extra video horsepower. If not for now definitely in near future as developers target the new horsepower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Congratulations! What is your projected delivery date?

Lisa

Late April. Plenty of time for us to have t-shirts printed so we look like a cool gang when we hang out at Starbucks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah! And plenty of time to buy gear for it.
I have a case cover on mine - I hate scratches but don't use keyboard covers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KRYNZS7/?tag=macforums0e4-20

And a Laptop sleeve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ9TG7S/?tag=macforums0e4-20

And a hub to use at work with my 2-4k 27" monitors, wireless mouse and two external SSD's:

I spoiled mine!

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh yeah! And plenty of time to buy gear for it.
I have a case cover on mine - I hate scratches but don't use keyboard covers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KRYNZS7/?tag=macforums0e4-20

And a Laptop sleeve: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ9TG7S/?tag=macforums0e4-20

And a hub to use at work with my 2-4k 27" monitors, wireless mouse and two external SSD's:

I spoiled mine!

Lisa

I like a case cover -- used to use InCase -- but I have my concerns about heat dissipation.

That sleeve looks very reasonably priced!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Heat dissipation???? Not an issue with these beauties! They run very very cool. Seriously - I can let her encode an HD 1 hour video and she gets warm but no issues. I could comfortably hold her on my lap and she would feel warm but never hot. And for any other use - nope. They vent to the back under the display hinges which are not covered by the case cover.

Besides - being girls we want our bling!!! :ROFLMAO:

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Heat dissipation???? Not an issue with these beauties! They run very very cool. Seriously - I can let her encode an HD 1 hour video and she gets warm but no issues. I could comfortably hold her on my lap and she would feel warm but never hot. And for any other use - nope. They vent to the back under the display hinges which are not covered by the case cover.

Besides - being girls we want our bling!!! :ROFLMAO:

Lisa

Good to hear because the laptop that's in my signature can run quite hot, especially in Southern California globally warmed weather. It even feels warm when it's asleep since it's come back from it's last service at Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear because the laptop that's in my signature can run quite hot, especially in Southern California globally warmed weather. It even feels warm when it's asleep since it's come back from it's last service at Apple.
I had a 2017 and 2020 i7 MBP previously so I am quite aware of how hot they can get. You will see a huge difference with the M1. I run TG pro to monitor the fans and temperature. Normal running with just email and browser open is around 91-101 degrees F. When I really let her fly it will get up to 212 -217 degrees F but the fans will ramp up and cool it down. The fans are really quiet too. When I am pushing it the fans will get up to 5800-6300 rpm but it really cools down fast when the encoding finishes. Even at it's hottest it still only feels slightly warm.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
I had a 2017 and 2020 i7 MBP previously so I am quite aware of how hot they can get. You will see a huge difference with the M1. I run TG pro to monitor the fans and temperature. Normal running with just email and browser open is around 91-101 degrees F. When I really let her fly it will get up to 212 -217 degrees F but the fans will ramp up and cool it down. The fans are really quiet too. When I am pushing it the fans will get up to 5800-6300 rpm but it really cools down fast when the encoding finishes. Even at it's hottest it still only feels slightly warm.

Lisa

This TG Pro ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that is it. Give a lot of information.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Interesting. I haven't monitored fans since, oh since the days of Asus boards and pentium MMX chips. (windows) man thats a long time ago.

This new M1max has run super cool the whole time. I haven't done anything yet that maxes it out yet, maybe never will who knows! I find something someday. Certainly no fan noise which is fantastic for audio.

OP
M
Reaction score
Late April. Plenty of time for us to have t-shirts printed so we look like a cool gang when we hang out at Starbucks. :D

They just changed my delivery date to May 9-16. :(

OP
M
Reaction score
New delivery date estimate: Jun 28 to Jul 11.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.