Mail program won't send since Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
I upgraded from Lion to Yosemite two days ago, and now I can't send any mail from the Apple Mail program, although I am receiving mail there. If I log into gmail, yahoo, i-cloud on the Internet I can send mail no problem. Any suggestions how to resolve this?

C

chas_m

Have you tested to see which of the three accounts you apparently have in Mail is actually causing the problem?

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 11" early 2015, 1.6 GHZ, 8GB; 85/250GB ; iPad Mini, iPhone SE. Mac User since 1984!
All of my emails are not sending. I get the error message, "From address is not one of your addresses." Connection Doctor reveals that, for example, gmail IMAP is connected and gmail SMTP is not. It is the same for my yahoo email and my iCloud.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be the fault of the hardware? My Mac is a MacBook Air 11" late 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You could try deleting the mail accounts and re-enter them.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I suppose there could be some kind of hardware issue but not necessarily due to the age of the machine. There are a number of members here, myself included, who are running Yosemite on older hardware than you are running.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at the accounts in Mail and there doesn't seem to be a way to look at the settings. In Lion there was an advanced button that showed all the details; all I can see now is the field for my name, my email address and my password. How do I get into seeing the IMAP and SMTP servers?

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I delete my account do I lose all my emails.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I successfully added to Mail a new gmail account that I haven't been using. It appears as google mail not gmail in my list of emails, and I was able to send from it. So then I deleted my gmail and reinstalled it, but it still won't send emails. The problem is the SMTP server, and I have no idea what to do about that, although now I can see the advanced setting.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So now I have gmail and iCloud working. I deleted the accounts and reinstalled them. My scbglobal.net email which is yahoo is stuck with a rotating wheel. It won't install. Grrrrr!

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but I cannot receive or send email, and looking into areas of my iMac of which I know nothing, my problem seems to relate around the same problem of IMAP and SMTP servers.
Will have to call Apple I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have had the same problem and have spent the last two days. This is the thread that tells of my issues and what I had to do to get some of my accounts working. Mine involved reducing my home router firewall settings even though prior to Yosemite, there had been no issues.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/316620-fixed-my-mail-app-issue.html

I still have trouble with gmail. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. I found a suggestion on an apple forum that said the problem was with the way Yosemite presented the smtp server address followed by user name. I have no idea how to fix that since I can't get to those setting to change it. I am sure there is a way to do it using terminal commands but my skills are not up to that. If I send an email from gmail I have to enter my password and then it sends it.

If you or anyone finds a fix post it. I will if I figure it out. I really feel tt is a Yosemite issue not mail as I had the same problem in Outlook. Other than the password to send email in gmail my other accounts are working.

Lisa

Last edited:
OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have trouble with gmail. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times. I found a suggestion on an apple forum that said the problem was with the way Yosemite presented the smtp server address followed by user name. I have no idea how to fix that since I can't get to those setting to change it. I am sure there is a way to do it using terminal commands but my skills are not up to that. If I send an email from gmail I have to enter my password and then it sends it.
Lisa

At one point last night, the option to view the smtp server appeared magically; I got the "advanced" button, but it hasn't happened since. I don't know how to depict eh experience, which is bizarre. My gmail is now working as is iCloud, but I can't even install the sbcglobal account. Apple must know about this issue and hopefully will provide an update.

I also had a problem trying to print to a wireless printer at work, but it recognizes my home wireless printer.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Port 993 is the one that is now working.

And 445 for sbcglobal

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just discovered none of the wireless HP printers like Yosemite either. Another issue to play with.

I am beginning to wonder if Yosemite is self-healing????? I mean mail won't work, now it does, ports not working but not blocked now working..... really weird.

Lisa

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I added the sbcglobal account manually, i.e. by not clicking on yahoo, even though it s a yahoo account. I was able to install it on Mail and I got all my emails back. But I can't send from it and it doesn't even appear when I select a server to mail from. I give up.

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just discovered none of the wireless HP printers like Yosemite either. Another issue to play with.

I am beginning to wonder if Yosemite is self-healing????? I mean mail won't work, now it does, ports not working but not blocked now working..... really weird.

Lisa

My problem was with Brother. My Cannon at home is working.

Self healing would be good :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haven't tried my Canon at home yet. Did not have a reason to print. Do at work on the HP's....bummer.

Lisa

OP
Scotex89
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I.

Lisa

SBC sent an email, but it asked for my password first. It is self healing :eek:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You could try deleting the mail accounts and re-enter them.

I'd go with this suggestion. It's so easy to delete and reinstall an email account and it often solves a lot of problems.
Alternatively you could just do what I did. Give up on Apple Mail and get another email client. AirMail works very well for me. Yes it's a paid for app and no I'm not advertising it, just suggesting.:Mischievous:
Currently I'm trying Apple Mail in OS X 10.10 Yosemite and I have to say it looks pretty good even though the interface is a bit white, no connection issues or account adding problems.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.