Mag-Safe Solutions for Laptops without a Mag-Safe Port

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not sure how many folks are aware of this...I'm betting some of you out there who have Apple portable computers (MacBook Air or MacBook Pro's)...that ONLY have USB-C ports (and no Mag-Safe for power)...wish you had a Mag-Safe power cable.

Turns out there are products out there that can adapt/convert a USB-C port to operate just like Apple's Mag-Safe port for charging Apple portable computers...they look like this (other products as well):

Mag Safe Adapter.jpg

Products shown are:

1. 90° adapter
2. Straight adapter
3. USB-C cable with integrated Mag-Safe adapter.

In each example...the little "nub-like" part plugs into the computers USB-C port (and can stay there all the time if you wish when not using the power cable). This part is very low profile...hardly sticks out at all.

With products 1 & 2...the 2nd adapter part attaches to the computers USB-C power cable that goes to computers power supply/power brick.

With product #3...the black cable replaces the USB-C cable that goes from the portable computers power supply to the computer. The magnetic end on this cable can also automatically rotate 180° allowing it to easily adjust to different situations.

Product 1 & 2 cost about $15 each...product 3 came as a 2-pack for $25.

These mag-safe style products can also be used for audio, video, and data purposes just like any USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port on Apple portable computers.

Thus, for example...you could plug a USB-C external hard drive or external display into a MacBook Pro/MacBook Air via one of the Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports...have it be connected via these magnetic adapters...and be safer from tripping hazards (no broken cables, damaged ports, or laptops on the floor). Lol

Pretty nifty products,:)

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I had one of these for my iPhone years ago but the connector (on the supplied cable) had an annoying green LED which rendered it useless for bedside charging at night.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Putting a piece of tape over it...or covering it with a sock may have helped.;)

But honestly...was mostly thinking of using these with a computer...and leave the phone charging to a Qi charger.:)

Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
yes my case was a while back, before the popularity of Qi chargers. The concept was good, for a MacBook a light is a real advantage, just saying the idea is a good one, surprised it took so long to come to laptops. My wife has the 2018 MBP with the USB-C connector, no way to tell if it's active other that checking the battery indicator in the menu bar.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These 3rd party mag-safe adapters all have a little LED built into them...I'm thinking primarily to let the user know it's active.

Compared to the brightness of the LED on the Apple Mag-Safe products...these 3rd party products have a smaller diameter LED built into them...which seems less bright.

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those prices are much lower. Downside (if someone wants an item quickly)...TEMU standard shipping is 6-20 days.

Reaction score
Those prices are much lower. Downside (if someone wants an item quickly)...TEMU standard shipping is 6-20 days.

True, but at least their shipping is free.

Some of the items that one sees on Amazon look suspiciously similar to the ones on Temu.

But if you need it quickly, Temu isn't the way to go. If you are willing to wait a couple of weeks, it might be as much as half the price.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some of the items that one sees on Amazon look suspiciously similar to the ones on Temu.
Most definitely. Lot of stuff on Amazon from over-seas (of course with a higher price so Amazon can make their middle-man "slice of the cheese").

Better to get the stuff from the source when possible for best price.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Better to get the stuff from the source when possible for best price.:)

I've purchased a lot of stuff from Temu. Some of it has been a shockingly wonderful bargain. Some of it has been utter junk. However, in the latter case, I usually am not bothered by it because I paid next to nothing for it.

One has to shop carefully when purchasing direct from China. Fortunately Temu has user reviews, like Amazon does. I've had good luck with mice, cables, stands, and stuff like that for computers from Temu.

I'm usually reticent to recommend buying direct from China because there are a surprising number of xenophobes who will react badly and bad mouth the products. It doesn't matter to them that most of the stuff that they buy is made in China.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never purchased anything from Temu (I'm sure my wife has). I've definitely purchased a lot from Amazon (which I'm guessing sells a lot of similar stuff as Temu...same suppliers).

Some of the electrical stuff I've purchased has been of shockingly poor quality...definitely would not be approved by UL (Underwriters Laboratories). I'm talking stuff that if used incorrectly...would definitely be a fire hazard.

I'm surprised Amazon doesn't have some sort of minimum safety standard for items that could be harmful/dangerous/fire hazard.

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.