Mac Equivalent software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Im hopefully switching to a mac, but i need help with software. please could you tell me the nicest, best software equivalent to these Windows packages for MAC:

-Microsoft office
-AnyDVD/CloneDVD/DVD Shrink
-Nero
-MSN Messenger
-NetStumbler (wireless network scanner)
-Antivirus like AVG
-Firewall like ZoneAlarm
-FTP Software
-IRC Client
-WinRar

Also is there any other software that is very helpfull and you would recommend?

Im not used to, How can i say, Paying for software. Will i have to pay for some, or is most of this software..available or free? maby someone could PM me some more info on the matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You can use these programs:

-Microsoft Office for Mac (not free, but there are free alternatives)
-Mac the Ripper (free)
- (don't know what nero does)
- MSN Messenger, aMSN, Adium (all free)
- Airport Radar Widget (free)
- You do not need an Anti Virus, but there are some free ones available, check version tracker for one that looks like something that fits your needs.
-TransmitX (shareware)
-Cologuy (free)
-Stuffit (free for expander, if you want to create your own .rar is $40 i believe)

Reaction score
iWork is a great replacement for Office. Keynote crushes powerpoint in every way.

Reaction score
There's Little Snitch that works like Zone Alarm, but it's $24.95 U.S.

As PowerBookG4 says, there are no Mac viruses, and there is no spyware, either. However, I use Little Snitch to keep my apps from phoning home.

M

MacHeadCase

Im hopefully switching to a mac, but i need help with software. please could you tell me the nicest, best software equivalent to these Windows packages for MAC:

-Microsoft office
-AnyDVD/CloneDVD/DVD Shrink
-Nero
-MSN Messenger
-NetStumbler (wireless network scanner)
-Antivirus like AVG
-Firewall like ZoneAlarm
-FTP Software
-IRC Client
-WinRar

Also is there any other software that is very helpfull and you would recommend?

Im not used to, How can i say, Paying for software. Will i have to pay for some, or is most of this software..available or free? maby someone could PM me some more info on the matter.

There are freeware/donationware apps out there that do a terrific job plus some great shareware too and as a Mac user I am proud to support the awesome job they do with making great apps for my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
PowerBookG4, Nero is a suite of programs much like Toast on the Mac.

If you need basic burning capabilities, you can create "burn folders" on your Mac. Just drag files in and then hit the burn button to create a data disc. If you want to burn music, iTunes has that capability built in. I believe Nero also offers some basic photo/video editing. You can use iPhoto and iMovie for those functions. Exporting a video file to iDVD lets you author and burn a disc.

A good NetStumbler equivalent is iStumbler (original isn't it? :p). Finally, a good (and free) FTP program is CyberDuck

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Will Iwork and other such programs give you the option to save it as a microsoft word document so i can then edit it on a windows computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, iWork gives you the option of exporting the file to Word and Powerpoint formats. You can also export to PDF

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think the Firewall in OSX is fine. Works great for my needs.

Everything else has been covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
iWork is a great replacement for Office. Keynote crushes powerpoint in every way.

I would not go that far. iWork is a great couple of apps, but is by no means what I would consider a replacement for MS Office.

Reaction score
I recommend the Unarchiver in addition to Stuffit.
You can uncompress anything!
http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

Neooffice is a great (free) office suite. (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php)
It can save and open MS Word (both '03 and '07 formats).

For FTP, Cyberduck can do it for you (http://cyberduck.ch/) for free.

Roxio Toast can replace Nero.

Also, AVOID SYMANTEC'S ANTIVIRUS! I heard that it make your Mac less secure.

BTW, you guys should really offer some free software, not shareware. He will just be buying a whole new computer!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have been using Open Office and now Neo Office in lieu of MS Office at home since 2000. Both have been adequate for what I need them for at home and definitely haven't missed it's price. Using Office 2003 I think at work, have to say Neo Office is a nice looking app. Handles word, excel and powerpoint files.

You have 2 choices - Mac the Ripper and Handbrake for the Mac, if you're use to DVD Shrink / DVD decrypter / DVDFab decrypter, you are going to be sorely disappointed with both of these apps. First in the # of diskes they either one will actually work with and 2nd on the time frame it takes them. Can only recommend keeping an XP box around if you plan on much of this type of thing.

Nero - Toast; Would use the burn functions built into the OS before paying for this app though. Have not yet had a need to purchase this myself and used Nero a fair amount on my XP machine. See Kash's post.

AVG - use the same - see PowerBookG4 post - don't need it

Firewall - really recommend hardware firewall, then in conjunction with built-in one, shouldn't need one - Little Snitch mentioned by Brown Study is a good app if you are concerned about what local apps are trying to phone home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I recommend the Unarchiver in addition to Stuffit.
You can uncompress anything!
http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

Neooffice is a great (free) office suite. (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php)
It can save and open MS Word (both '03 and '07 formats).

For FTP, Cyberduck can do it for you (http://cyberduck.ch/) for free.

Roxio Toast can replace Nero.

Also, AVOID SYMANTEC'S ANTIVIRUS! I heard that it make your Mac less secure.

BTW, you guys should really offer some free software, not shareware. He will just be buying a whole new computer!

I was going to add the bit about Symantec - I don't know if it makes it less secure, but it is pretty useless, and I have heard people complaining that it has trashed their computers entirely.

I'd pass on that if I were you. I installed it on my G3 a few years back and to be honest I can't remember exactly what happened, but I know I took it out after about 2 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
-Microsoft office......same for Mac but Mac version...not as good though
-AnyDVD/CloneDVD/DVD Shrink....Mac the ripper, handbrake
-Nero......Toast
-MSN Messenger......messenger for Mac ( not good)
-NetStumbler (wireless network scanner).....don't know
-Antivirus like AVG....dont need one
-Firewall like ZoneAlarm....don't need one
-FTP Software....don't know
-IRC Client....don't know
-WinRar....don't know

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
-Microsoft office = Microsoft Office, iWork (Pay) NeoOffice, OpenOffice(Free).
-AnyDVD/CloneDVD/DVD Shrink = MacTheRipper (Free).
-Nero = Roxio Toast (Pay) Burn (Free).
-MSN Messenger = aMSN (Video Chat Support) Adium (Free).
-NetStumbler (wireless network scanner) = iStumbler (Free).
-Antivirus like AVG = Not needed but ClamAV if on Windows Network (Free).
-Firewall like ZoneAlarm = Built into OSX.
-FTP Software = Transmit (pay but great) CyberDuck (Free).
-IRC Client = Colloquy, Conversation (Free).
-WinRar = Stuffit Expander (Free).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - Mid 2007
If you have an Apple store near you, they have a lot of Mac software on display. I was aware that there are more apps/games available for Macs than most people think, but I was still pleasantly surprised when I saw how much was available when I popped into my local Apple store today.

-Joe

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking the plunge, after then new MBPs come out...is there a MAc equivalent to the Windows freeware program, Magic Mail Monitor? Link here:

http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

It's a POP3 mail monitor, that just sits in the system tray and notifies you when you have new e-mail. I like it, because it allows me to act my own human spam filter--no false positives this way. If there's some similar Mac program, I'd appreciate hearing about it, thanks...

Reaction score
A quick search at verstiontracker.com turned up this and this.

Neither is free, though. The first one is $25, and the second $12. This one is free, but it looks like it only counts the emails that have arrived. I didn't try macupdate.com.

Try a web search for

mac "mail monitor"

or

mac pop "mail monitor"

Reaction score
@Brown Study: Thanks..Yeah, I had turned these up in my own searching around as well. Neither appears to be as powerful as the Windows app I've been using, and sadly both seem to be sort of abandon-ware, with most recent updates being a couple of years ago or more.

Is there no hope? I'll be ****ed if the first thing I do with a Mac is to learn how to port a C++ app into Cocoa...I'm trying to get away from writing programs, and toward just having my computer do what I want it to do.

M

MacHeadCase

Looks like you should stick with Windows, Steel_Wheel. If a WinBox does what you want it to, why switch?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.