• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

M3 Processor Rumors

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Well, anyone watch it? I found it odd, unlike other apple events I’ve seen.

I have to say though. Apple released the M2max Mac Studio I just put on my desk last week in June 23, already they have the new M3max chip and according to them it’s waaaaaay faster. I don’t think I’ll approach using the full power or even close of the machine I have and I’m using a pro app running heavy plugins… this feels kind of insane, no?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah watched it, and the focus was the M3 line up and MBP and iMacs that get the M3 processors for now. As the bigger sellers, that make sense. I imagine the Mac Studio will likely get the upgrade soon enough followed by the Mac Mini.

The increments in power are truly amazing, but nothing to fret about. My M1 Max based Mac Studio might be 50-80% percent slower on the CPU/GPU than the M3 Max, but it does everything I want from it without any issues, so I don't feel bad about it and neither should you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
the focus was the M3 line up and MBP and iMacs that get the M3 processors for now. As the bigger sellers,

Any sign among the Mac rumour sites if and when Apple might consider producing and releasing a new 27 to 30 inch iMac model with Mx chip?

A friend was just wondering... Even though they don't really need it or have use of such speed... :rolleyes: ;):sneaky:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, I’m just not accustomed to seeing next gen chips released mere months after. They seem to be in a really accelerated path. The iMac I replaced is a mere 6 years old and already it can’t get the latest operating system. Not a huge concern for the pro tools system as it’s usually a few OSs behind but yikes apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Any sign among the Mac rumour sites if and when Apple might consider producing and releasing a new 27 to 30 inch iMac model with Mx chip?

A friend was just wondering... Even though they don't really need it or have use of such speed... :rolleyes: ;):sneaky:

- Patrick
=======
Alas, it seems like the 24" iMac is all we're going to get. Pairing a Mac Studio with a 27 or 30" screen is a better option for folks. Thus the Studio Display, but that's a very expensive option.

If screen real estate is important, then I would recommend the Mac Mini/Studio with a monitor approach.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Mac Mini (8/512), M2 Macbook Air (8/256), Studio Display
I imagine the Mac Studio will likely get the upgrade soon enough followed by the Mac Mini.
I am considering M2 Mac Mini, but I think I'll wait to see the M3 Mac Mini. But I guess there won't be much difference. I doubt Apple will add 16 GB RAM for the base M3 Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I watched it. I had thought to upgrade my MBP when the the new M3's came out but.... When I compare the specs of the M1 max to the M3 max I just can't justify the cost. What I want would be over $4300. If I traded in my M1 max for the $1305 they offered I would owe $3000 + tax.
Sanity set in and I decided I can wait. I love my M1 max and it does what I need. I can wait for refurbs to hit in a year or so if I still want one or go for the next M processor if I am so inclined.

One other thing I notice. When I bought my M1 they offered AppleCare+ for $99/yr + tax renewable every year and as long as I paid it there is no end date. It seems they no longer offer that - only a 3 yr term.

Lisa

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I am considering M2 Mac Mini, but I think I'll wait to see the M3 Mac Mini. But I guess there won't be much difference. I doubt Apple will add 16 GB RAM for the base M3 Mac Mini.

I might wait for an M3 mini also, though I doubt that in practical use it will be more useful than an M2 mini.

The mini was refreshed with the M2 last January. Since Apple tends to refresh the mini every couple of years, we may not see an M3 mini until the end of 2024 or the beginning for 2025.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything that I've read has said not to expect the new 30-inch iMac until 2025:

I wonder who the first user is going to be that hacks putting the innards of one of the new iMacs into an older 27" iMac case??? And the 2011 27" IMacs had a lot more internal room than the later, thinner models. Hmmm...??? :)

- Patrick
=======

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
I wonder who the first user is going to be that hacks putting the innards of one of the new iMacs into an older 27" iMac case??? And the 2011 27" IMacs had a lot more internal room than the later, thinner models. Hmmm...???

My bet would be on "no one".

If someone really wanted a desktop M3 Mac with a 27-inch or larger monitor, they could just get a new M3 MacBook Pro and attach an external monitor to it. Such a setup would be reasonably priced, and wouldn't at all be a kludge with unexpected results.

As a side benefit, you could unplug your MBP from the monitor and take it with you wherever you go.

By the way, for those of you who would like to do this, I really like this stand to hold your MBP so that it is not taking up a lot of desk real estate, and is out of the way:

Vertical laptop stand
$15
https://www.temu.com/vertical-lapto...tops-up-to-17-3-inches-g-601099516449596.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Mac Mini (8/512), M2 Macbook Air (8/256), Studio Display
I might wait for an M3 mini also, though I doubt that in practical use it will be more useful than an M2 mini.

The mini was refreshed with the M2 last January. Since Apple tends to refresh the mini every couple of years, we may not see an M3 mini until the end of 2024 or the beginning for 2025.
Agree, I might wait for the black Friday deals and then go for the M2 mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My bet would be on "no one".

If someone really wanted a desktop M3 Mac with a 27-inch or larger monitor, they could just get a new M3 MacBook Pro and attach an external monitor to it. Such a setup would be reasonably priced, and wouldn't at all be a kludge with unexpected results.

As a side benefit, you could unplug your MBP from the monitor and take it with you wherever you go.

You make some very valid points Randy, and that certainly is an option, but it certainly would add several hundred dollars to the price by the time one got finished getting their system together with a new monitor.

Anyway, well beyond my reach and needs.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a base model m3 (or m2 as it is now) mini with a 27 monitor isn’t going to be a whole more than previous 27 iMacs. Tho those 27 retinas were pretty amazing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a base model m3 (or m2 as it is now) mini with a 27 monitor isn’t going to be a whole more than previous 27 iMacs.

That seems much more reasonable and the rumored release date for the M3 Mini is certainly not that far away:
New Mac mini: Release date
M3 Mac mini – Early in 2024
M3 Pro Mac mini – Early in 2024

And I'm sure the price point of using a previous Mx chip model is going to be looking pretty good and they certainly aren't that old, consideringApple released the M2 Mac mini in January 2023. Before that, the M1 Mac mini was released in November 2020, and it seem there are some very good 27 inch range display monitors at very reasonable prices according to some comments and users. So any of those combos would definitely save some mucking about unless there is some disadvantage to using a Mac Mx Mini, and then the almost impossibility of replacing or upgrading their SSDs rears its ugly head.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Not sure how qualified to comment here I am. I've just taken delivery of a new 16" MBP M3 Max from Apple. I maxed out on the RAM at 128 and the CPU at 16 core GPU 40 and Neural at 14. I always overspecify my laptops simple because of thinking three years down the line. I'll probbaly never use the full grunt of this machine and it will easily handle anythng I throw at it. But I came from the last of the intel machines (MBP 16", 64GB Ram 8 core etc) so the difference is 'wow' factor. Staggering - that's the word I'm looing for. I missed out the M1 and M2. Altough I nearly went for the M2 MBA. In fact I was on Apple site and saw the new M3s and it was no contest. Seems I was in the right place at the right time!

I've been with Apple since first release of OSX and last release of OS9. - Before that, I swooned over the older Macs in MacUser printed magazines, that I just could ot afford.

Anyway - just a litte input from me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Not sure how qualified to comment here I am. I've just taken delivery of a new 16" MBP M3 Max from Apple. I maxed out on the RAM at 128 and the CPU at 16 core GPU 40 and Neural at 14. I always overspecify my laptops simple because of thinking three years down the line. I'll probbaly never use the full grunt of this machine and it will easily handle anythng I throw at it. But I came from the last of the intel machines (MBP 16", 64GB Ram 8 core etc) so the difference is 'wow' factor. Staggering - that's the word I'm looking for.
I ended up purchasing a 14" M3 Max 16CPU/ 40 GPU/ 64GB. The jump from the M1 Max was not as big as it was from my 2020 i7 MBP to the M1 Max. But with you going from an intel MBP to the M3 Max I totally understand what you mean when you say the performance jump is staggering. The M series processors are simply amazing. Enjoy your new MBP!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.