Laptop case for 15.4” MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and was looking for some advice on a suitable laptop case for my 15.4” MacBook Pro. I travel often on work and would like something that allows me to keep my laptop in the case at airport security checks as I am constantly worried about damaging it when I take it out for screening. Also, it would be nice if the bag was roomy enough to hold a change of clothes – maybe an expandable brief. Let me know if you guys can suggest something. Oh, and it must be a very good quality bag that can stand the rigors of frequent travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I'm a fan of this one from Swiss Army. I'm fairly certain you can find it cheaper than their site.

They seem to make some durable backpacks that has a lot of room for peripherals and they do not fall apart. Protects my laptops (now MBP) very well. Good luck.

OP
G
Reaction score
I'm a fan of this one from Swiss Army. I'm fairly certain you can find it cheaper than their site.

Thanks for the info, Mtbinva, but I am looking for a briefcase, not a backpack. I have read through various forum threads for suggestions and a lot of people recommend going with a stylish sleeve, but that doesn’t suit my purpose. I want the briefcase to double up as a travel case for overnight trips. So far, I have some options from Tumi, TrvaelPro, Samsonite, and Briggs & Riley. Right now, I am looking at various models under each of these brands to see which ones suit my requirements the best. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
For your needs I'd be going for any hardshell case with cushioning that fits inside your overnight bag.

OP
G
Reaction score
6string, I read the pros and cons of hardhsell and softshell bags on Epinions (http://www.epinions.com/content_940810372) and I am tending towards a shoftshell case because it is lightweight and allows better organization since softshell bags usually come with lots of compartments.

I have scanned through various laptop cases over the last two days and I am leaning towards this expandable brief (http://www.briggs-riley.com/categor...oint-4-inch-Executive-Expandable-Brief_KB302X) from Briggs and Riley. The bag looks like its tailor made for my requirements. I can expand it for an additional 1.5” of packing space and it has garment securing panels to keep clothes in place. So, not only can I pack pair of change in it, I can also rest assured that my clothes remain wrinkle-free. Has anyone used this bag before? Do you have any suggestions that I can use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
That bag looks good (as pricey as it is), however, protection wise I would still want to have a hard shell case something like this or this that would fit into the compartment if its going to be subject to any bumps, knocks or drops.

Reaction score
I have 2 Oakley Backpacks that I use when I travel. They were built for a 15.4 inch laptop. I have the black and it also doubles great if I need to carry gear, clothes or my sidearm. It can double as pretty much anything. INCREDIBLY durable.

I actually have the backpacks now but if you want more like a travel bag you may like these. I order from this website ALL the time (100's and 100's of dollars from them).
Men's Discount Oakley Computer Bags — Oakley Vault

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My only recommendation is that you look for a case that is "top loading". Many bags use a clamshell design, that is not exactly friendly for airport security. With a top-loader, you can easily unzip a single zipper and pull the machine out.

Also, I would avoid leather, since it scuffs and looks old very quickly.

I have an older Wenger (Swiss Army) bag that is made of neoprene and is a top loader. It has plenty of storage for files, and other miscellaneous items. Also, has a nice front pocket that expands and can fit just about anything. After 3 years of constant back-and-forth to work, it's still in great shape - and it wasn't terribly expensive either (about $50 at Staples).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.53, 4gigs RAM, 250hd
I have an Eagle Creek bag (gray) that i keep my 15" MBP in. It is just a sleeve, but it is handy when i travel. I can pull it out of my larger (more padded) carry-on bag and put it on the x-ray machine with out it getting harmed. The best thing about the sleeve is that it has handles that can be retracted into the sleeve so it fits in the bag. I can also use the sleeve to carry it to class or when i pop into a cafe to study and i dont need the power cord.

OP
G
Reaction score
CWA107, one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the Briggs and Riley laptop case is that it meets the TSA checkpoint-friendly guidelines (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/group.aspx?group=checkpoint-friendly-laptop-bags). If I am not wrong that means I won’t have to take my laptop out of the bag during airport security screenings. Does anyone have any experience with a checkpoint-friendly laptop case? How does it work at the airports? I am really curious to find out.

Reaction score
CWA107, one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the Briggs and Riley laptop case is that it meets the TSA checkpoint-friendly guidelines (Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Bags). If I am not wrong that means I won’t have to take my laptop out of the bag during airport security screenings. Does anyone have any experience with a checkpoint-friendly laptop case? How does it work at the airports? I am really curious to find out.

Sure there are guidelines but it still doesn't mean they won't ask you to pull it out and power it up. Guidelines are just that. Peoples discretion is what you have to rely upon.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA107, one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the Briggs and Riley laptop case is that it meets the TSA checkpoint-friendly guidelines (Checkpoint Friendly Laptop Bags). If I am not wrong that means I won’t have to take my laptop out of the bag during airport security screenings. Does anyone have any experience with a checkpoint-friendly laptop case? How does it work at the airports? I am really curious to find out.

My experience with security checkpoints (at least at US airports) is that the laptop must always be removed, and in some cases, turned on to verify that it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 Macbook 2.13Ghz Duo Core 2, 6gb/500gb/7200 Hitachi, Modbook Synergy/Touch ready.
Gabrielle, you're on the right track with Briggs/Riley--considering they took into consideration the computer/clothing aspect w/TSA standard. You won't find many "computer cases" that are stylish, consider the hit/run clothing aspect.

I'd look at the Executive Expandable and/or EE Roller. Roller not a bad feature, depends on how much time/distance you may hand hold/carry the bag (with no shoulder strap). Especially since you travel so much: style/function is a nice touch.

Thanks for the lead, too. I really like the shoulder Go Messenger for casual in/out the door purpose. (Motorhome/travel) Thanks for sourcing the Briggs/Riley!

If you're looking for a stylish protective cover for the MBP, consider Macally's BookShell2 for the 15" MBP. Red or black leather. Snaps on/off. Extra protection, inexpensive, quite nice.

Reaction score
Sure there are guidelines but it still doesn't mean they won't ask you to pull it out and power it up. Guidelines are just that. Peoples discretion is what you have to rely upon.
Yep. Chances are you'll have to remove the lappy just like everyone else. I don't think they'll let you go just because you say "but it meets the checkpoint-friendly guidelines!" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 Macbook 2.13Ghz Duo Core 2, 6gb/500gb/7200 Hitachi, Modbook Synergy/Touch ready.
Oh yes, I forgot one last shot in the dark, a favorite travel briefcase of extraordinary quality/form/function.

Well Gabrielle, there is one supplier I <ahem> left out by accident. They came to mind as I stumbled across their website whilst googling for a leather messenger bag for my Macbook and digital camera, cell, etc. wwwsaddlebackleather.com just may be your ticket. I call your attention to the 3 sizes of leather Briefcase with a delicately expandable base, does so diplomatically, without pretense, with total class/form/function. (D-rings front and back, thus, one may control (if necessary) the width of the 9" expansion--leather thong or strap, etc.) A class act all the way around the globe.

They also offer a Thin Briefcase in two sizes that equally may be of interest; however the full Briefcase is a jaw dropper. Soon, I will be on the list for a medium size--plenty of room. If I were you I would look at the medium or large. Yes, $500+ but it's a once in a lifetime purchase (and you will quickly see why)...since your CEO will no doubt see it, be impressed enough to inquire its source, remember you forever as a class act.

Check it out. Worth a look. Should easily meet TSA standards.

Spare no expense for a once in a lifetime experience, I always say...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if you're interested, but I just picked up a Brenthaven case from Amazon. I happened to be browsing around after reading this thread, and I liked some of the features better than the bag I have now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016BNI8I/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Anyway, I just ordered it tonight, but it will be here within a week or so. If you're interested, I'll be happy to give you my thoughts or any pictures of it you'd like to see.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys, for your enthusiastic responses. A lot of you have suggested hardshell cases or sleeves, but unfortunately that does not fit my requirements. Like I said, I need a briefcase that I can use for work as well as business trips. Of all the suggestions made by everyone so far, the Brenthaven notebook case came closest to my requirements. However, I am not really sure if I can accommodate a pair of clothes in the bag. I am also looking at some rolling options. Since I have to travel so frequently, I figured that a rolling briefcase would be easier to transport. Has anyone else had an experience with a rolling briefcase? Are they actually as easy to transport as they sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.