Keys are not working

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought wired keyboard to check whether it's working or not that's all you guys do not have solutions actually I want to know what should I do to make it work again...

To echo what what Jake mentioned. Unfortunately liquid + logic boards don't mix (serious damage many times occurs). Logic board repairs (if possible)...are usually prohibitively expensive (major % value of the computer...or sometimes greater than the value of the computer). And replacement logic boards can be even more expensive.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I bought wired keyboard to check whether it's working or not that's all you guys do not have solutions actually I want to know what should I do to make it work again...

I'm not really sure, but would a different type of external keyboard from the Dell unit you are using possibly work???

Any USB or Bluetooth keyboard (including wireless keyboards that require a USB dongle) will [should] work with the Mac—just plug it in and start typing. So says the experts...

Maybe a different type of connected external keyboard may use a different part of the logic board, not the damaged part for whatever connection is currently being used, and actually, work. I don't know, but just an alternate connection method suggestion to maybe try.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, I think you are clutching at straws here. For keyboards, there is a section where the specific key is detected. Typically it's a combination of a pair of lines being activated when the key is closed. So, for example, to make a "a" key press, the switch closing at "a" closes two circuits, one to put it on the row with the other keys (sdfghjkl, etc), and one to be the "column," maybe the "qaz" or more options. Other circuits the look for special keys (shift, alt, option, control, fn) to see if the intersection of the key is to be modified by the special key. At the end of that bit of physical logic, we have a code saying, "This key was pressed along with this one." So now we know what key. That same set of keys on an external keyboard result in the same signal. That signal now is processed by a logic circuit to say, "Given that set of keys, and the keyboard selection set for me, the intent was to make an "a."

What I suspect has happened is that the first part, selecting the key(s) is probably working, but the second, "what did that key combo mean" is not functioning. It is receiving the same signal from the internal keyboard and the external one, but isn't processing the results. And that failure to process points to a chip or circuit on the logic board being defective. Probably because of the liquid that was spilled.

If it were just the keys, the external keyboard would "fix" the problem. It didn't, and the errors as reported on the external keyboard being the same as the internal, points to something downstream of the simple key-sensing circuits.

That said, the OP can certainly try another keyboard, but given what has been reported so far, it will most likely have exactly the same symptoms.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see that your home country is India. You might be able to find a Mac repair service that can replace the logic board or if they are technically advanced and equipped, may be able to repair the board.

However, it may be less expensive to replace the entire computer. You didn't mention the year and model MacBook Pro that you have.

Reaction score
Without knowing year it is hard to diagnose. The newer model keyboards (Butterfly) have electronics on the keyboard itself and could cause the failure of keys on both internal and external keyboard. I have seen it happen.
It would be a real shame paying for a logic board when it's in fact the logic on the keyboard. The way to diagnose this is to disconect the internal keyboard and see if the problem goes away on the external keyboard. If it is the older style keyboard it is probably the Logic Board.
It would have ben nice to know what year and model you have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The way to diagnose this is to disconnect the internal keyboard and see if the problem goes away on the external keyboard.
This would be an very interesting troubleshooting test!

Thanks,:)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 Mini, 2020 MacBook Air
I think it's entirely possible that a short circuit in the built-in keyboard is sending a signal that conflicts with what the external keyboard is trying to tell the processor. Replacing the keyboard, in my opinion, is all that's needed. I can't imagine a fault on the motherboard that would mess up only specific keystroke data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Maybe this could work out for you, just passing this along!

Apple Keyboard Replacement A1466/A1369

The link is to a MBA 13" keyboard 2011 - 2017. We currently have no idea what MacBook Kafil has, or screen size. It could be anything from the old black or white MacBook's to a USB-C or M1 based model, a MBP, MBA, a MB 12" Retina, it's anyones guess. Until we know we are wasting our time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
We currently have no idea what MacBook Kafil has, or screen size. It could be anything from the old black or white MacBook's to a USB-C or M1 based model, a MBP, MBA, a MB 12" Retina, it's anyones guess. Until we know we are wasting our time.

If the MacBook Kafil has has a model or serial number on the bottom, unfortunately, they are usually in extremely small print, many sites will do the translation as to what exact model it is, some will even show the date the unit was produced and in which city.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.