Keys are not working

Reaction score
Hi...some of the keys of my MacBook isn't working and the same keys are not working in external keyboard also..
Plz help me out if anyone has solution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hi...some of the keys of my MacBook isn't working and the same keys are not working in external keyboard also..
Plz help me out if anyone has solution

Welcome to Mac-forums, but I think if you need any help the Mac gurus are going to want to know more details such as yhe Mac model OS version and what external keyboard are you referring to excetera excetera excetera...

- Patrick
=======

OP
K
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-forums, but I think if you need any help the Mac gurus are going to want to know more details such as yhe Mac model OS version and what external keyboard are you referring to excetera excetera excetera...

- Patrick
=======
I am facing the issue in my MacBook pro external keyboard is dell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Please click on the  in the upper left corner of the screen, then About This Mac and tell us what is there. We need that information to be able to even start trying to figure it out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

What liquid did you spill on the computer?;)

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sanitizer

If the sanitizer was mainly alcohol-based, I would think it would have just evaporated end maybe acted as a cleaner. I wonder what the rest of the ingredients might have been and if it might have been the cause of the mishap.

I would try pressing the non-working keys quite aggressively and see if they might not come back to life.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try pressing the non-working keys quite aggressively and see if they might not come back to life.
The issue is there also with an external keyboard, which, I think, points more to an electronic problem caused by the liquid getting to the logic board, shorting out things.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Jake. It's more than just liquid damage to the keyboard itself but rather to the main board probably due to a short created by the sanitizer.

We've seen this in other forums also. Folks going overboard with "killing viruses" on their electronic equipment and instead wind up killing the electronic device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The issue is there also with an external keyboard, which, I think, points more to an electronic problem caused by the liquid getting to the logic board, shorting out things.

You could be quite correct and I am having trouble even visualizing the situation and how an external keyboard can be or is connected to a MacBook or even why for that matter.

I cannot see or understand why one would even have an external keyboard added and connected when one already exists on a MacBook or am I misunderstanding something or the situation???

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Makes perfect sense to me. When my MB Pro was my primary machine, I sat it on a stand to get the screen slightly higher and produce a better viewing angle. Unfortunately, that put the built-in keyboard at an angle/height that I didn't like for prolonged typing.

The addition of an external keyboard, wired or wireless, solved the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I cannot see or understand why one would even have an external keyboard added and connected when one already exists on a MacBook or am I misunderstanding something or the situation???
When I use my laptop/notebook computers setup as a desktop computer (which I do quite often). I always have external monitors, external speakers, external input device, and an external keyboard connected. I've always found an external keyboard preferred to the built in keyboard in a desktop setup.

Of course if I'm computing on the couch/in front of the TV...then I use a notebooks built-in keyboard.:)

In the OP's case. OP may have connected an external keyboard for troubleshooting purposes when it was discovered the built-in keyboard wasn't working 100%.

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes perfect sense to me. When my MB Pro was my primary machine, I sat it on a stand to get the screen slightly higher and produce a better viewing angle. Unfortunately, that put the built-in keyboard at an angle/height that I didn't like for prolonged typing.

Thanks, Sly et al. that all makes very perfect sense, and I had never needed to use one when in that situation and I never really visualized using one that way.

Now I am wondering if the OP's external keyboard is a wireless model or not??? And how or why both keyboard keys could seem to have been affected??? I guess both got hit with sanitizer...

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Now I am wondering if the OP's external keyboard is a wireless model or not??? And how or why both keyboard keys could seem to have been affected??? I guess both got hit with sanitizer...

Patrick: Read the above.... very likely the sanitizer seeped on to the logic board which sits directly below the keyboard on a MacBook. A shorted or partially shorted board would explain it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A shorted or partially shorted board would explain it.

It probably sure would, thanks, Charlie.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

The addition of an external keyboard, wired or wireless, solved the problem.

My wife does and has done this for years. Wired keyboard to MBP on a stand and a Bluetooth mouse. It makes the screen 10" higher but causes an uncomfortable angle for built in keyboard use.

OP
K
Reaction score
I bought wired keyboard to check whether it's working or not that's all you guys do not have solutions actually I want to know what should I do to make it work again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
About all you can do is replace the logic board. Liquid of any kind that gets through the keyboard and onto the logic board can short out and destroy all kinds of things. The logic board is not repairable, at least for the average consumer, so the only alternative is to replace it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.