• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Judgement Day 21 May 2011 . . . . ..im still here. Someone got it wrong lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Um, today is the 19th of May. The 21st is 2 days away. We all still have time to die....

Ah, but TM gets to go first, being an Austrailian! Because from what I understand, the rapture is to occur at 6pm *local* time. So, tomorrow is Saturday for the Aussies, being that they are quite a few hours ahead of those of us in North America.

So, TM, do let us know if 3% of the population in your neck of the woods suddenly either drops dead or vanishes in a POOF! Then we'll have plenty of time to make nice with God, or decide to stick around here for the next 5 months until going to Hades (I suppose). O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you haven't seen "Left Behind", it was a pretty good movie.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm not making a judgement here or a claim but Christians believe that what happened in the Bible is true (some to a greater degree than others). What makes such a claim any different? ;)

As someone who is generally critical of grandiose claims such as this, I decided to take a look at the math. According to this (lets ignore for a moment that they calculated a different date), their math starts with Noah's flood. As far as I can tell, there is no definitive year for that. At best, this appears to be specious logic. So, for those of you more well versed in this than I am, where does this date come from? Is there any solid evidence?

I'm not trying to create controversy or call anyone out on their beliefs - I'm genuinely interested to know how the date came about and what the evidence is for the claim.

I read through his analysis about 6 months ago and haven't looked at it since. But essentially he started with some very questionable assumptions (even with the starting point of accepting the Bible as true--which I do) then proceeds to play fast and furious with the math to make it all work out the way he wants it to.
BTW: this is apparently the second go-round for him. He did this back in the late 1980s.

Bottomline for his methods there is no scripturally valid way to establish a date for Noah's Flood. All this is too long a subject for a post like this. If you are really interested. PM me and I'll try to flesh it out more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Google the Millerites. Kind of a similar thing. Lots of faith, but questionable on the math skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Maybe we should all call in sick on Saturday and get round Tattooed's house for a BBQ? :D

- Simon

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Maybe we should all call in sick on Saturday and get round Tattooed's house for a BBQ? :D

- Simon

Some of us live like on the other side of the world. That's going to be a long flight. Better RSVP now and get your plane tickets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yeah I live in the UK almost is the other side of the world, and what makes it worse is that he's 12 hours ahead of time for me, really gonna have to get a jog on now! ;)

- Simon

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
At least he'll be able to give us a heads up whether or not us folks in the other hemisphere should start doing a lot of praying suddenly. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Don't worry, Gawker has a guide:

What to Do When the Rapture Doesn't Happen: A Guide for Believers

Greetings, faithful reader. We assume you are reading this on Sunday, after the Rapture did not occur on Saturday as you believed it would. How do you deal with such a stunning turn of events? We're here to help.
We feel for you, rapture believers. You have endured years of ridicule and traveled the world to spread your message that Judgement Day would occur on May 21st, 2011. You've even risked your family's health and happiness. But now it's May 22nd and you have awoken to a normal, non-rapturous Sunday morning. You are confused, panicked, and running really low on groceries.

Dealing with this is going to be tricky. It's the existential equivalent of tripping on a curb and falling on your face. But you have a few options:

I mean it's supposed to start happening at 6:00 PM ET today, I'm going to need popcorn. I just hope he accounted for daylight saving time.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean it's supposed to start happening at 6:00 PM ET today, I'm going to need popcorn. I just hope he accounted for daylight saving time.

6pm tomorrow, actually. Or, assuming it follows the time zones, we should start hearing about it shortly after 2am, when it hits NZ.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's a shame it's happening out there first. I'll miss them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a shame it's happening out there first. I'll miss them.

ROFL!

I was wrong, according to the NPR article, it's occurring backwards from the International Date Line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does that mean i'll be the first to go? Well at least I won't have to deal with the mess! ;)

- Simon

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Interesting how the date line, a man made and arbitrarily defined line, is the starting point... ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting how the date line, a man made and arbitrarily defined line, is the starting point... ;)

It is fascinating to me as well. So many questions spring to mind. If I could find a follower, I'd have a field day.

Sucks that it will hit at 2am on the East Coast of NA. I'd like to at least be awake in the event of the rapture.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The Atlantic published an interview with Harold Camping (the guy behind all of this) and the really unbelievable thing is he has already written a flyer to be circulated when/if he is wrong. How does this guy sleep a night knowing the mess he has made of his followers lives?
;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.