Issue with power supply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid-'15, 16GB RAM, Big Sur
I am having an issue with the sheathing around the power supply cable. It almost seems as if the 2 [or 3] wires inside the sheathing are shrinking and the outer jacket is not -- creating the issue in the pic.

Is this an issue with these cables? Anyone else ever have/or see this problem?

So far it doesn't seem to affect charging but, it is bothersome.

Thanks

*edit: I have tried keeping it as straight as possible but, still has gotten worse over the years

MacPowerSupply.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just about the only solution is to be prepared to purchase a new one. One thing that exacerbates this is coiling the cord too tightly when traveling. And the end (where the problem area is in the photo)…should never be bent/coiled.

Please don't say that you've never done this…yes you have.;)

My wife & I have had at least 5-6 MacBook Pro's and 3-4 MacBooks over the years with the mag-safe cord. And we have never had this problem.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
I think pigoo may be right.

I learned the hard way and had this issue with the old style Magsafe cord. I just patched it up with PVC electrical tape. Not pretty, but worked a treat. (Still does.)

I preferred the older style Magsafe cord with the white square(ish) connector, because it always came out (as it should) when accidentally pulled. This was the main advantage of Magsafe, imho.
The newer variant (as pictured) has pulled my MBP off a desk, onto the floor, when a colleague caught the cord with his foot and accidentally pulled it, in line with the plug. Wouldn't have happened with the old design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm sorry to say but Apple's rubber quality used with their power adapters cable is just crap and that fracturing can happen even when not coiling the cord too tightly when traveling, or even just being removed or used in an unsupported position.

It looks like the sample shown can salvaged with some PVC tape if all the rubber insulation is still intact. ;)

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies.

I'm sorry to say but Apple's rubber quality used with their power adapters cable is just crap and that fracturing can happen even when not coiling the cord too tightly when traveling, or even just being removed or used in an unsupported position.

I tend to think you are [more] right.

While I probably did coil it at some point, it was not more than a time or two because this laptop has never been outside my house. The cable generally just sits wherever it is [sprawled]. I do not leave it plugged in for extended periods of time thinking that the heat generated may be exacerbating the problem.

In the pic it clearly [to me] shows the jacket is too long as it is basically overlapping itself -- as if it is growing.

Maybe pulling off the mag-safe plug over the years has caused it, maybe not. While I may not have been the most careful at removing it -- I have definitely not abused it and keep it as straight as possible when plugged into the computer.

May be I got a lemon, may be a design flaw -- Bottom line is I have to fork out for a new transformer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
May be I got a lemon, may be a design flaw -- Bottom line is I have to fork out for a new transformer.

Could be, but I disagree with member "pm-r" about the quality of Apple cables. In any event, you can certainly repair that one with some strong electrical repair tape. That should suffice until you can purchase a new Mag Safe Adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be, but I disagree with member "pm-r" about the quality of Apple cables. In any event, you can certainly repair that one with some strong electrical repair tape. That should suffice until you can purchase a new Mag Safe Adapter.

Hmmm…??? I find it quite odd that you would disagree with my comments regarding the poor cable quality of Apple's power adapters, especially since the problem has been in the web news for so long and so often, and they even had a recall on just such a problem.

But the last one I know of for Apple's Power Adapter Replacement Program ended on January 31, 2014. All due to lousy quality cables and unfortunately not extended beyond the US I believe.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204551

Anyway for the OP, there are lots of fixit sites available using this or others etc.:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=8NYpVYGjD6KtmALvtIGgCw

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're directing your comments to a specific batch of cables in the last reply. Your first reply grouped all Apple cables in the same category. (which is not true)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're directing your comments to a specific batch of cables in the last reply. Your first reply grouped all Apple cables in the same category. (which is not true)

Sorry, and I certainly did not intend to imply that all Apple cables were bad if that's how you understood my comments, but I meant the cables they use with their power adapters mainly.

OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think pm-r's whole comment was more accurate than inaccurate [and more helpful]. According to this article, a lawsuit and recall occurred right about the time I bought this Mac [and I was never notified by Apple].

magsafe recall

And technically, in the first post, pm-r only referenced the rubber used, not the complete cable.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In any event, you either need a new Mag Safe Adapter or as I stated previously, repair yours until you get a new one. You did use your Mag Safe for 4 years according to the age of your Mac. If you can get a new one from Apple for free, that's even better. No one is arguing that yours is defective or that the particular run of Mag Safes recalled are likewise problematic.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Up until my '06 MBP was relegated to sitting in the entertainment center where the magsafe has never been touched since - Every single magsafe cable I had for that MBP did exactly as in your picture and none of them lasted longer than about 12-15 months. Mine did not travel outside the house, were never colied up for moving around, but was used primarily in a single location while sitting at my recliner in the living room... I am of the opinion, there is some design or other flaw in the manufacture of those cables.

I would highly recommend you discontinue using that cable immediately. Yes, there are some that have put electrical tape on their magsafe and continued using them without issue. There are other's that have fried the power supply in their Mac by continuing to use such a cable.

Last edited:
OP
T'Pring
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rating Breakdown (1.5 average)

Number of stars - Percentage
-------------------------------------------
5 Stars - 6% 125 reviews
4 Stars - 3% 62 reviews
3 Stars - 2% 53 reviews
2 Stars - 8% 183 reviews
1 Star - 81% 1774 reviews

-- Read all 2197 customer reviews

These telling numbers regarding the MagSafe power adaptor are straight from the Apple Store.

All 3 power choices [45W, 60W & 85W] have similar numbers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a (first quarter 2012) MBP with the newer style power supply cord and the same exact problem as shown in the picture above has happened to my cord. My MBP has been in my home (on a plastic laptop tray on a table right next to my recliner) for almost it’s entire life. I believe I’ve travelled with it a couple dozen times in ~3 years and on those few occasions, I never coiled the cable tightly. The cable has never been abused and has always been treated gently. The point on the cable where the insulation cracked (~1” from the end of the magnetic connector plug, just like in the picture above) has been sitting on the plastic laptop tray and the cable has never even been severely flexed at that point.

This problem evidently happens without any user involvement or heavy/abusive use of the product and it’s evidently happening on the newer style cables up to and including right now.

Well... I’m seeing one of the “genius bar” kids at the local Apple Store this afternoon. I guess I’ll find out how they’ll treat my defective cable and me in a few hours. I’m not optimistic about Apple’s attitude toward their customers, but here’s hoping...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to mac-forums and good luck with your Apple power adapter cable problem with hopefully a replacement at least, but a better quality cable and relief design would sure be nice.

And a bit longer cable would be nice as the one from my iPad 2 sitting on my desk barely reaches the power adapter in the power strip on the floor, and the cable is starting to show signs of fatigue right next to the so called "strain relief" just from the weight of the cable. Very poor design. :(

Reaction score
I had a frayed cord on my MB Retina. It was frayed down near the square middle part, on the thin wire. Be careful, because mine caught on fire. Thankfully i was sitting there at the time. It's scary to think what might have happened had I not been there.
I reported it to Apple and they replaced it at no charge.
Now when leaving, I always unplug the adapter from the computer and either unplug the cord, or turn off the power strip. This is good also because we live in a lightning-prone area.

Reaction score
The spontaneously combusting power supply cable --- Yikes! Thanks for posting that precious experience! Your public service will hopefully help (who knows how many?) others avoid a potentially lethal Mac experience like that!

As I mentioned above, I’m not optimistic about what the Apple corporate and store attitude toward my defective cable and me will be when I get there. I anticipate the'll tell me to go pound sand and I’d been contemplating just wrapping the damaged section of my cable with electrical tape and continuing to use the cable rather than cough up an (IMO obscene) $80 bill for a new power supply. After your story, I’m now having major doubts about the wisdom of that game plan.

Again --- MANY thanks for that story!

Reaction score
Yeah...safety is not something to play with.
Apple Care was pretty willing to accommodate me at the time which was good. I called in since I am not near an Apple Store. It was awhile ago and I don't recall now whether it was intense sparking or an actual small flame. I think both but my memory could be playing tricks on me. But it was NOT safe and I dived for the outlet to pull it out.

If the adapter is weak or faulty enough not to hold up to normal wrapping, make your case until someone listens to you. If it's really your fault, IMO sucking it up and buying another adapter pales in comparison to a fire in the house.

I'm really careful now when wrapping that adapter, and I have to wrap it often and bring it with, but I still don't trust them. I try to be really careful with it - but still it's so easy to trip on them, or roll the chair wheel over it, wrap them too tightly, etc. I just try to be aware of where the cord is when moving around.

Reaction score
The difference between when intense sparking occurs and when the flames appear is usually a few minutes. I didn’t make it to the local mall Apple Store because of torrential thunderstorms today, but I’ll be there tomorrow morning.

I’ve never done anything other than baby that power supply. It’s never been tightly coiled, stepped on or anything. My experience with the Genius Bar kids tomorrow is going to tell me a lot about how Apple treats their customers when the picture isn’t one of another happy customer buying yet another iPad or iPod.

Reaction score
I got to the local mall Apple Store this morning and had a pleasant surprise. The employee I had my Genius appointment with took one look at my defective/failed power supply cable (which looked just like the OP’s picture) and unhesitatingly told me they’d be happy to replace it free of charge. He obviously knew the history of this scenario and was following a Central Office script in dealing with me.

I have to admit I was anticipating the worst (including kissing an $80 bill good-bye), but I was very pleasantly surprised by having my problem handled quickly and appropriately. My compliments to Apple for doing the right thing with this problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.