Is there a problem between Monterey and Ventura?

Reaction score
My wife's Monterey MBP does Time Machine backups to a drive attached to my MBP. Mine was on Monterey until a couple of days ago when I updated to Ventura. Since then her backups start and seem to run but never complete. The last completed backup was 2/9 @ 1PM. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted either MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Different issue I think. They're talking about putting other stuff on your backup drive. I'm backing up to a sparsebundle and that's worked fine up to now.

I manually started a Time Machine backup on my wife's machine. It found the drive, prepared the backup and started to copy. It got to about 50Mb and just said stopping with no explanation. It would have been nice to get some sort of error message! I have no idea why it decided to stop at that point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm backing up to a sparsebundle and that's worked fine up to now.
What does that mean? TM makes the decision on what format to use, based on the destination. About the only control you have is if the drive is a network server.

Get TheTimeMachineMechanic from here: An easier way to check Time Machine: T2M2
and see if there are any errors being reported. Note that the new Unified log probably only goes back about 24 hours, so you may need to try a backup, then use T2M2 to look at the log as soon as it stops.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
What does that mean? TM makes the decision on what format to use, based on the destination. About the only control you have is if the drive is a network server.
Since my wife doesn't have any drives attached to her machine I select a drive on my machine that is accessible over the network. For whatever reason, Apple creates a Time Machine sparsebudle and backs up into that.

I tried t2m2 and it said no backup has been completed successfully in the last four hours and there were no error messages found, which is what I knew before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, then I guess you have no problems. You said:

I manually started a Time Machine backup on my wife's machine. It found the drive, prepared the backup and started to copy. It got to about 50Mb and just said stopping with no explanation. It would have been nice to get some sort of error message! I have no idea why it decided to stop at that point.
If there are no error messages in the log, and if TM finished, the backup sounds like it was successful.

You need to run T2M2 on HER machine to see what that log says. Her backup information won't be in your log.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you are using Time Machine on your Mac, using that external drive, without a separate partition for her TM backup, then your Time Machine controls that entire external drive.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
Ok, then I guess you have no problems. You said:

If there are no error messages in the log, and if TM finished, the backup sounds like it was successful.

You need to run T2M2 on HER machine to see what that log says. Her backup information won't be in your log.

I did run it from here machine. It said the backup didn't comlet4e but no indication why.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
If you are using Time Machine on your Mac, using that external drive, without a separate partition for her TM backup, then your Time Machine controls that entire external drive.
My Time Machine backups are on there own drives.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Since my wife doesn't have any drives attached to her machine I select a drive on my machine that is accessible over the network. For whatever reason, Apple creates a Time Machine sparsebudle and backs up into that.
The sparsebundle format has been used by Apple for several years any time a backup occurs over the network. Since the drive in question is actually attached to your machine the backup is occurring over a network: Hence the spars bundle.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
The sparsebundle format has been used by Apple for several years any time a backup occurs over the network. Since the drive in question is actually attached to your machine the backup is occurring over a network: Hence the spars bundle.
I know that. I just don't know why.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past, backup programs have often used some form of disk image (generic or proprietary) to store a backup of the source disk. As you probably know, a disk image strives to create an exact copy of the source disk.

The problem with most disk images is that, once they are created, the size of the file isn't easily changed without recreating the image file from scratch. Suppose for a moment a disk image is created with enough room for 10 MB of data. Everything's fine until I need to backup more than 10 MB of data. Making room for more data usually means creating a new image file. If I need less that 10 MB that space is wasted.

The advantage of sparsbundle files is that you have the best of both worlds. They are essentially dynamic image files. The image expands and contracts as needed depending upon the space needed to house the backup.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
In the past, backup programs have often used some form of disk image (generic or proprietary) to store a backup of the source disk. As you probably know, a disk image strives to create an exact copy of the source disk.

The problem with most disk images is that, once they are created, the size of the file isn't easily changed without recreating the image file from scratch. Suppose for a moment a disk image is created with enough room for 10 MB of data. Everything's fine until I need to backup more than 10 MB of data. Making room for more data usually means creating a new image file. If I need less that 10 MB that space is wasted.

The advantage of sparsbundle files is that you have the best of both worlds. They are essentially dynamic image files. The image expands and contracts as needed depending upon the space needed to house the backup.

That's no longer true with containers. I can set up several container partitions on an APFS formatted drive or hard partition and they will expand as needed. I don't know if they contract or not and I'm not sure it even matters, because, in addition to two Time Machine backups, I use SD! to backup my HD to a container on an external drive. Get Info says it is the size of what's on my HD but that it has all the free space on the drive available.

I use sparsebundles when I have to but I don't like them. They seem more prone to corruption than partitions or containers within a partition. Of course, that could just be my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Time Machine backups are on there own drives.
My wife's Monterey MBP does Time Machine backups to a drive attached to my MBP.
So, you have two different drives on your system, one for your backups and one for hers. Note, not Containers, not Volumes, but drives, right? Then the problem may be in the way her system connects to the shared drive, and the security for that drive on your system. Ventura has much stronger security. Check in Settings to see if the Sharing settings allow File Sharing, or Drive sharing on your system.

Containers do NOT change size, ever. Volumes that are created inside Containers do change size and share the total space within the Container. And you don't actually send anything to a Container, just to a Volume within a Container. Think of Containers as the analogue of what used to be Partitions, but much more sophisticated. Once you set the size of a Container, it is fixed unless you take a definitive action within Disk Utility to change it. And, I think, that if you make a serious change to a Container, the Volumes inside are lost. Not sure of that last, but I seem to recall seeing that somewhere. Read more here: Inside APFS: from containers to clones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife's Monterey MBP does Time Machine backups to a drive attached to my MBP. Mine was on Monterey until a couple of days ago when I updated to Ventura. Since then her backups start and seem to run but never complete. The last completed backup was 2/9 @ 1PM. Any ideas?

I had issues with backups not completing after I upgraded my iMac to Ventura. It was driving me crazy. The fix, which was wholly unexpected? Cache cleanup using Onyx. I ran it to troubleshoot a different problem and wound up curing both!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@MacInWin Thanks for describing that distinction about containers. I thought that was how things were handled but was going to have to do some research to be sure. The fact that containers don't actually shrink might explain why Apple has chosen to keep sparsebundles as their format for network backups.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
So, you have two different drives on your system, one for your backups and one for hers. Note, not Containers, not Volumes, but drives, right? Then the problem may be in the way her system connects to the shared drive, and the security for that drive on your system. Ventura has much stronger security. Check in Settings to see if the Sharing settings allow File Sharing, or Drive sharing on your system.

I have two drives for Time Machine on my computer and another drive for her Time Machine backups.

File and Media sharing are on. There is no Drive sharing but I presume that is included in Media.

Containers do NOT change size, ever. Volumes that are created inside Containers do change size and share the total space within the Container. And you don't actually send anything to a Container, just to a Volume within a Container. Think of Containers as the analogue of what used to be Partitions, but much more sophisticated. Once you set the size of a Container, it is fixed unless you take a definitive action within Disk Utility to change it. And, I think, that if you make a serious change to a Container, the Volumes inside are lost. Not sure of that last, but I seem to recall seeing that somewhere. Read more here: Inside APFS: from containers to clones

I probably don't have the terminology straight. I have a drive that is "soft" partitioned. By that I mean there are things that appear as "Locations" and can be mounted and dismounted, but aren't actually partitions. They have a size based on what is in them but they can expand to the total capacity of the drive. If I read you right these are Volumes and the drive itself is the Container.

OP
rbpeirce
Reaction score
I had issues with backups not completing after I upgraded my iMac to Ventura. It was driving me crazy. The fix, which was wholly unexpected? Cache cleanup using Onyx. I ran it to troubleshoot a different problem and wound up curing both!

Thanks. I downloaded the app but I can't figure out what cleans up the cache! Would it be Maintenance-Cleaning? Info says that does something to caches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.