Iphoto Events lost with Yosemite Upgrade

Reaction score
I upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3 this morning. The upgrade installed the new app "Photos" and transferred my images to that app from iphoto. Problem is, I had spent a lot of time organizing the images in Iphoto into events. That organization seems to be lost in the new Photos app. Not happy. Can i delete Photos and go back to iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It seems that you're not alone, so a bit of Google/Web searching for answers I guess, but I'd suggest keeping your old backup as virgin as possible for now in case you need it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
All my events from iPhoto were transferred nicely to the new photos library.
I had a minor issue with faces, where my daughters faces were mixed with mine.
( being her father, I can understand that :) )
Problem was solved within a few minutes.

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like member "McBie", no problem here with events or any of my photos. It's my understanding that you can continue to use iPhoto if you choose to do so, however, new photos are going to be imported to the "Photos" app and no longer to iPhoto.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm quoting from another current thread on the same issues. I do not claim any credit (or otherwise, of course). It was posted by chas-m:

"Just for future reference: the Photos app does NOT transfer your iPhoto Library (or Aperture Library) at all.
It creates a "reference" (pointer) to the photos inside the existing iPhoto or Aperture library. That's all.
While I would be the first to say that the way Apple removes the iPhoto icon from the dock is ham-fisted, neither the program (iPhoto) nor its library are affected. The program is still there, the library is still there. Just re-add iPhoto to the dock if you want to continue using it for a while longer.
You can make changes to photos in Photos if you want to try it out and get used to it, but those changes don't migrate back to iPhoto."

I hope this additional info may aid clarity.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What chas_m should have said was that the new Photos app is going to open your iPhoto library. Whether it's transferred or a pointer to it is generated doesn't matter. All you need to know is that the library will now be opened by Photos rather than iPhoto. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just discovered by adding new pictures , that there is no way to edit the " location " of the pictures.
They were taken with GPS info ON and the location is actually way off.
So I tried to manually fix that , but it seems you can't change the location of the pictures in the Photos.app like you could in iPhoto.
That is really bad news Apple ! .... Disappointed.

Cheers ... McBie

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Just out of interest I settled into Photos well without any issues (but I don't use the cloud for any photographs).

Having done that I completely removed iPhoto and all of it's associated files and library and.........................................................Photos still worked!

Phew.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like was said, all my events are there in Photos and I have a lot of them. Lost nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.