iPhone mini

Reaction score
Hello there.

I hope I'm not alone with my thoughts saying that though new iPhone 6 is great because it's just smth new BUT it's display size is too big for one-handed use. I was wondering if anyone else this time began to REALLY think about and want a smaller little brother - iPhone mini.

It's just my personal preference: I'd looove a 80 to 100 g weight, 4S-size smartphone with a modern hardware. Just curious, has anybody else had the same idea? What do u think guys?

Cheers.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There currently are two current iPhone's.The 6 and and 6+ at 4.7" and 5.5" respectively. The iPhone 6 doesn't seem unwieldy in my hand since it's more taller than wider compared to my iPhone 5S sitting in an Otterbox Defender case. Single hand operation is fine with this phone..

However, VERY seldom have I needed to use my phone with a single hand, think about how many times you've done it. Also think about the situations when you've NEEDED to do it and it'll likely be situations in which you shouldn't be using a phone to begin with..

Having said that, we are likely done with the smaller iPhones. It's going to be at least this size going forward until they decide to make it bigger, not smaller..

OP
V
Reaction score
There currently are two current iPhone's.The 6 and and 6+ at 4.7" and 5.5" respectively. The iPhone 6 doesn't seem unwieldy in my hand since it's more taller than wider compared to my iPhone 5S sitting in an Otterbox Defender case. Single hand operation is fine with this phone..

However, VERY seldom have I needed to use my phone with a single hand, think about how many times you've done it. Also think about the situations when you've NEEDED to do it and it'll likely be situations in which you shouldn't be using a phone to begin with..

Having said that, we are likely done with the smaller iPhones. It's going to be at least this size going forward until they decide to make it bigger, not smaller..

Well, the thing is 90% of the time I use my 5S with only one hand. I probably should mention that being jailbroken and with help of certain tweaks allowing more control with all kinds of gestures there is really no need to hold it with two hands. Anyway, thx for your input:Smirk:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is a matter of personal preference but you get very used to using a larger phone with one hand very quickly. And, in the grand scheme of things, a 4.7" phone isn't all that large (the 6+ however is quite large). Like anything, I'm sure you'd get used to it over time.

OP
V
Reaction score
This is a matter of personal preference but you get very used to using a larger phone with one hand very quickly. And, in the grand scheme of things, a 4.7" phone isn't all that large (the 6+ however is quite large). Like anything, I'm sure you'd get used to it over time.

Sounds fair) just wondering how many people share my thoughts to get an idea if there will be a demand for such a device;D and if Apple will even consider this...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds fair) just wondering how many people share my thoughts to get an idea if there will be a demand for such a device;D and if Apple will even consider this...

I seriously doubt it. The current trend in smartphones is "bigger is better". Stick with your 5s. ;D

OP
V
Reaction score
I seriously doubt it. The current trend in smartphones is "bigger is better". Stick with your 5s. ;D

My only guess is why they get bigger is perhaps because new processors and hi-res displays require bigger battery. Maybe in a year or two they will come up with new battery technology that will allow this small form-factor...:Evil:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My only guess is why they get bigger is perhaps because new processors and hi-res displays require bigger battery. Maybe in a year or two they will come up with new battery technology that will allow this small form-factor...:Evil:

Actually no, the newer processors use technology that makes them more efficient with lower power. Displays themselves don't need a lot of power, the power goes to the backlight which is also very efficient.

The primary reason for larger batteries is for use time between charges. More and more people are beginning to demand that their phones be available to them throughout the day for their gaming, social networking, video playing, music listening and oh, making phone calls aswell..:)

That's why the batteries are getting bigger because people start complaining when all the things they do on these phones causes them to be required to be recharged very couple of hours (a slight exaggeration)..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

You're only thinking in two dimensions. The main reason why smartphone's are getting larger is the display size…period. Customers & companies feel "bigger is better". If a larger display wasn't important…then smartphones would be smaller.

As far as the battery size. If a smartphone needed a battery larger than the length x width dimensions of the display would allow…then the phone would just be made thicker (the 3rd dimension).

The reason why the iPhone 6 is thinner than an iPhone 5s. With the increased surface area of the larger iPhone 6 (length x width)…if the thickness remained the same as the iPhone 5s…there would be more volume than is necessary. So Apple made the battery thinner…but spread out over more surface area.

So again…the iPhone 6 did not get larger (length x width) to accommodate a larger battery…it got larger to accommodate a larger display. If the iPhone 6 needed a MUCH larger battery to get the appropriate amount of runtime to support the faster electronics or larger display…then the iPhone 6 would have been thicker than it is.

- Nick

p.s. And yes…the battery in the iPhone 6's are more powerful (more milliamp hours) than iPhone 5's. But with the increased size/volume of the iPhone 6…there was plenty of room for it (why the iPhone 6 is thinner than an iPhone 5).:)

Last edited:
OP
V
Reaction score
Imho, a smartphone must be a phone. It's for notes, reminders, dictionary, music, navigation etc. Gaming and video are for tablets. It always makes me strain my eyes when I tried racing or shooters on iPhone. And I better find 500$ To buy iPad than harm my health.
Pigoo3, razoredge, what about you? Would u like that small gadget? Or you prefer so-called phablets?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The main reason why smartphone's are getting larger is the display size…period.
Yep and the reason for this is just as simple - people are doing more with their phone now than they ever have and with increased productivity and similar use to a notebook, people want similar hardware to match.

Reaction score
In response to the original poster, I would have one straight away.

I prefer my phone to be small, because I only use it for certain tasks and very often it is in situations where I can only use one hand. When I'm on the subway or travelling I prefer the size of the iPad, but love having a small, compact phone. The 4/4S was perfect for me and I do now miss it. I find the 6 too big, but still enjoy it and think it is a magnificent piece of hardware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imho, a smartphone must be a phone. It's for notes, reminders, dictionary, music, navigation etc. Gaming and video are for tablets.

Pigoo3, razoredge, what about you? Would u like that small gadget? Or you prefer so-called phablets?

It really comes down to being an "evolution" sort of thing.

- When cellphones first came out they were big, chunky, and heavy.
- As time when on the "driving force" for cellphone evolution was to make them smaller, lighter, and thinner. But cellphones were still phone call only.
- Then as cellphones got smaller, lighter, and thinner…texting started.
- When texting started…cellphone displays got larger. But not so much larger that the overall size of the phone got larger.
- As texting got more popular…folks wanted a way to input text more easily. So mini-keyboards started to be incorporated into cell phones. So because of texting…displays got larger, keyboards were included…and the cellphone got larger.
- As connectivity speeds got faster, as cellphone networks were upgraded, and as data plans more affordable…cellphones evolved into smartphones. And thus…displays got larger.
- Now folks could make phone calls, text, check email, surf the internet, watch videos, and do some gaming.
- Of course if folks could do all of this on a 3.5" display (display size on iPhone 1's thru iPhone 4's)…a bigger display would be even better.:) Then we got a 4" display on iPhone 5's, 4.7" on iPhone 6's, and 5.5" on iPhone 6+.

This is how things work…they evolve. You can see how things (cellphones/smartphones) "innocently" evolved over time.

- If the marketplace or norms of customers feel that a 5.5" phone is too small…the display on smartphones will continue to get larger.
- If folks find a 5.5" display too large…then smartphone displays will get smaller.
- If 5.5" (or 4.7") is perfect…then things will stay as they are. Then innovation or evolution will go in a different direction.

Smartphones can do so much more than cellphone's used to be able to do. And of course when folks are away from home…they want to be able to do as much as they can on a smartphone/single device…as they could do on their home computer. And to do those things "better & better" on a smartphone…a larger display is part of the package (cpu/gpu speed & battery life being the other parts).

Yes…the new iPhone 6+ is getting large for some folks liking. But the smartphone competition has already had this size for a while. So Apple is just playing "catchup".

How much do you want to bet that we will probably see at least one more "evolutionary step"…where smartphone displays get a little bit larger…before consumers & critics will finally say…enough is enough.

This sort of consumer product evolution happens in many areas:

- home televisions
- hairstyles
- beards
- blue jean bell-bottoms of the 1960's/1970's (bigger & bigger)
- automobiles (bigger or smaller)
- automobiles (engine size/engine horsepower)
- dress lengths (shorter or longer)
- etc.

* Nick

p.s. I think that the main problem is choice. Smartphone manufacturers are not offering smaller choices. Some folks want the performance & battery life of the newest technology…and the features of new OS versions...but maybe not the size of the display (which means a large phone).

OP
V
Reaction score
In response to the original poster, I would have one straight away.

I prefer my phone to be small, because I only use it for certain tasks and very often it is in situations where I can only use one hand. When I'm on the subway or travelling I prefer the size of the iPad, but love having a small, compact phone. The 4/4S was perfect for me and I do now miss it. I find the 6 too big, but still enjoy it and think it is a magnificent piece of hardware.

Good to know I'm not alone:Cool:

---

Pigoo3, yep, agree on everything.

Anybody else wanna support iPhone mini idea?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to know I'm not alone:Cool:

On a planet with over 7 billion humans on it...two humans agree on an iPhone mini!lol;)

- Nick

p.s. Just teasing!;) I understand...something more like the size of an iPhone 4 is what you would like.:)

C

chas_m

Have we forgotten that the iPhone 5s and 5c are still being sold and supported? They weren't any wider (for one-hand use) than the iPhone 4, just a bit longer.

I haven't had a chance to really try the iPhone 6 so I can't comment on the one-handedness, but I agree this is a consideration for many users, particularly moms! :)

Luckily, Apple continues to sell a phone that's the same width as its ever been, and will likely do so for at least another year. Plus, they are great phones that run iOS 8 and will likely run iOS 9 as well!

OP
V
Reaction score
Have we forgotten that the iPhone 5s and 5c are still being sold and supported? They weren't any wider (for one-hand use) than the iPhone 4, just a bit longer.

I haven't had a chance to really try the iPhone 6 so I can't comment on the one-handedness, but I agree this is a consideration for many users, particularly moms! :)

Luckily, Apple continues to sell a phone that's the same width as its ever been, and will likely do so for at least another year. Plus, they are great phones that run iOS 8 and will likely run iOS 9 as well!

Yep, 5 is good, but when I take into my hands iphone 4 of my friend's, I wish my 5 was that tiny)

Reaction score
On a planet with over 7 billion humans on it...two humans agree on an iPhone mini!lol;)

- Nick

p.s. Just teasing!;) I understand...something more like the size of an iPhone 4 is what you would like.:)

Make that 3 :)

I just upgraded to 6, while I can use it in one handed, I have to slide around a little more and it's not as tight in my hand. The bigger screen is definitely nice, but I really miss the small form factor of my 4s. I will probably keep the 4s as an iPod and emergency back up (and to remember the olden times that are never to return).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make that 3 :)

Ok…3 out of 7 billion!;)

- Nick

p.s. I'm sure there are more. I'm sure there are a lot more folks who would prefer a smaller iPhone than the iPhone 6.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.