iPad Accessories - Which will you buy if any?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24 inch/iPhone 3G
Now that the iPad's release date has been announced. Which, if any, of the Apple accessories will you be buying? I'm thinking of buying the dock (no keyboard) and the camera connection kit.

I'm thinking about getting the dock first and then later on the camera connection kit. I looked at the Apple branded case but didn't like the look of it. So I'm going to wait for 3rd party vendors to see what kind of cases/bags they offer.

A promising accessory looks like the Scosche kickstand but have to wait for them to release it to get more info :) It's not a case technically speaking but I like the look and utility of the stand prototype that has been shown.

C

chas_m

A Neoprene sleeve has worked out well for me with my MacBook, so I'd probably get one for the iPad too. I'll look at the Apple case too, but I'm kinda used to neoprene sleeves.

I might go for an Invisible Shield for the screen.

I don't know about the KB and stand yet. Not really the way I plan to use it, but I never say never. I'm quite comfortable with screen typing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think I will eventually end up getting the keyboard but will try on screen typing first. By the time I type a document or two in Pages I'll know if on screen typing is going to drive me nuts.

I'll probably get the camera kit though. On our last trip if we hadn't used the MB Pro to pull pictures off of the camera we wouldn't have needed it much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
The case and the camera connection kit.

May also eventually buy the keyboard/dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Power Support Antiglare screen protector, obviously. Glare sucks and fingerprints suck. This would actually make the thing usable outside.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I might go for an Invisible Shield for the screen.

Power Support Antiglare screen protector, obviously. Glare sucks and fingerprints suck. This would actually make the thing usable outside.
Can understand the anti-glare
BUT
If they are anything like the ones for the iPhone and Touch ill be steering well away from them.Cant stand them actually and with the durability of the screen i dont see a need for them. Another gimmick IMO

I have my touch in pocket and bags rolling around with keys, coins and what ever else and my touch screen is as good as new as it was the day i got it ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
No way, it's all about the lack of fingerprints and antiglare...."protection" is just an added bonus. The film is not a gimmick at all if those things matter to you.

If I buy an iPad, I'll use that stuff on it, same goes for when I upgrade my 1,1 MBP next year. If I buy a refurb they are rarely antiglare versions so I'll use the film on it. Glossy sucks for portable computing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I'll be wanting to get:

Some kind of case/cover for it. You know just the standard protect the thing whem not in use.

A cheap stylus. Just a little plastic thing. So I can use that instead of my finger on the screen. And if I'm really careful that should stop all the finger prints on the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb
Personally I'll be wanting to get:

Some kind of case/cover for it. You know just the standard protect the thing whem not in use.

A cheap stylus. Just a little plastic thing. So I can use that instead of my finger on the screen. And if I'm really careful that should stop all the finger prints on the screen.

Standard styli (styluses) will not work with the iPad - although I assume the one especially designed for the iPhone will?

I'll be buying the VGA adaptor as I will be using the iPad extensively for Keynote presentations. Case-wise, I kinda like these:

iPad Cases

C

chas_m

Apparently I'm the only person here who knows what "oleophobic coating" means. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apparently I'm the only person here who knows what "oleophobic coating" means. :)

Ahh works like rain off for the car windscreen ......

Easy cleaning

For the not so wise (dead link removed)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a glossy screen phobia. I've not allowed a glossy display, monitor or TV, that I'm going to be looking at in the house for at least 15 years.

I'll probably give the iPad a try before I order an anti-glare protector.

But thanks Zorro, I've been trying to find what brand anti-glare that was I had the Apple store put on my 3GS when I bought it and that looks like the one. It's been a great cover. Don't think the screen has been cleaned since I bought it except to wipe the face of it across my jeans once in a while.

Am sure I'll order the cover and the camera USB kit. If the cover folds back and leaves a spine like some of the Kindle covers instead of folding back flat, I'll be selling it pretty quick. And pretty sure I'll go with the 64 GB version. Still can't decide on the wifi or 3G.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
A USB tether so I can use my iPhone Data Package (not that I expect to see this). :Smirk:

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Also a third party bluetooth remote so I can eat popcorn while watching movies without getting butter on the iPad screen. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Standard styli (styluses) will not work with the iPad - although I assume the one especially designed for the iPhone will?

That's a shame. Seems I'll have to wait for an overpriced ipad compatable one. Oh well, better then nothing :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*** a meat stylus? Well it makes sense as our finger is essentially meat attached to our bodies. But still it'd never work where I live. 20 mins in my bag at 40 C and it'll be a saggy rotten meat stylus. Still that idea is really thinking outside the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
^^^ That looks like it might be pretty cool...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.