iOS 11

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
LOL, Patrick... you're not that old are you? Seriously, yeah, I remember having a headlight dim switch on the floor of an old Chevy I once had when in college.

Oh yes. A old 11+ past the official senior age.

All the cars I had used the excellent floor dimmer headlamp switch until sometime in the '70s I believe when the US cars and most imports changed back to steering column mounted method the the European cars used. It was an "in" thing, but actually just a cheaper method I believe.

A friend's Volvo of that era had the column mounted dimmer stick but the high beam momentary flasher had been disconnected (he fixed that!!) as it was deemed to be too dangerous and distracting. Just as flashing turn signals were in some places.

They sure didn't engage their brains or logic with that decision!!!

The dash looks like it's from an airplane cockpit!
And including a video display that somehow passes as being safer than some handheld device. Go figure, but I'm sure not condoning the use of either potentially distracting devices.

Anyway, I'm getting a bit OT here and better get the wheels back on the Mac tracks. :\

EDIT:
For those interested with photo:
http://cnynews.com/baby-boomer-alert-who-remembers-the-floor-dimmer-switch-in-our-cars/

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I remember the floor dimmer but not the hand crank start! I also remember hand crank windows, manual door locks, party lines, and being the TV remote for my mom. But I am glad things evolve and change otherwise I would still be getting up to change channels followed by adjusting the rabbit ears. ;D

But loss of the audio jack turned out to not be as big a problem as I thought it would be although initially I was not happy.

Lisa

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But loss of the audio jack turned out to not be as big a problem as I thought it would be although initially I was not happy.

Same here. However, it is a big deal for my wife which is why she's still using her 6s+. I guess I should buy a BT headset for her and let her try those out for awhile. Not sure the BT headsets work with an iPod Nano though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure the BT headsets work with an iPod Nano though.

I don't believe it does, at least with the early models when I did some quick web searching.

I was a bit surprised that even the iPhone 4 supported BT EarPods etc.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention there are dongle/adapters available with this being one of the smallest a most recommended:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BWERF8/?tag=macforums0e4-20

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3701639?start=0&tstart=0

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag
What? You didn't buy your wife a set of Air Pods? LOL. Expensive critters aren't they?

And I see OWC has some pre black sales according to my email:

Apple/Beats by Dr. Dre
urBeats 2 Headphones w/Mic
Incredibly Durable with Amazing Sound
Convenient, in-line mic for calls too!

Add to Cart
Black Friday ($129.99 price crossed out)
$44.75

What do you know, down close to a price they also should have been at the start, just like Apple's versions should be.

- Patrick
======

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll probably go for the el cheapo BT headphones that are on the shelf at my local discount store. Like I said above, they cost anywhere from $8 to $20 depending on the make. Every pair I looked at is made in either China or Taiwan so I'm not sure what the difference is in quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is anyone facing issues in iOS new version 11.1 beta 3?

Well gee!!! That wouldn't be surprisings if one realizes that is usually what happens with "betas" and why they are used. To see what issues arise and see if they can't be fixed.

Pretty common I'd say.

Sites such as these give some ideas of the various problems:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/ios-11-news-3647951/
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/16/whats-new-ios-11-1-beta-3-changes-features-video/

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Well gee!!! That wouldn't be surprisings if one realizes that is usually what happens with "betas" and why they are used. To see what issues arise and see if they can't be fixed.

Pretty common I'd say.

Sites such as these give some ideas of the various problems:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/ios-11-news-3647951/
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/16/whats-new-ios-11-1-beta-3-changes-features-video/

- Patrick
======

Wait... BETA versions aren't ready for common consumption? They're not supposed to be bug free?

If you're running a BETA and aren't having issues, you aren't using the product correctly. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait... BETA versions aren't ready for common consumption? They're not supposed to be bug free?

And THAT, was exactly my point, even if I did state so rather facetiously. :\

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol... Clearly, your point came across just fine, Patrick. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Same here. However, it is a big deal for my wife which is why she's still using her 6s+. I guess I should buy a BT headset for her and let her try those out for awhile. Not sure the BT headsets work with an iPod Nano though.

No but there are many BT headsets that have a 3.5mm removable cable too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Anyone else finding that can't update/install apps without doing a hard reset on their phone (iPhone7 + 11.1.1/2)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone else finding that can't update/install apps without doing a hard reset on their phone (iPhone7 + 11.1.1/2)?

Further back in this thread I reported the exact same issue since 11.x, but ONLY one my personal 6S+. My work 6S has no issues and neither does my iPad Pro 12.9" (first gen).

For a while, I thought it had been corrected through an update but I'm now on 11.1.2 and it's still doing it.

I've also noticed my phone showing the clocking symbol across the status bar when no apps are open. No idea what it's trying to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No trouble updating but I do have an app that appears on my iPad needing updating that only works with my Apple Watch so it can't be installed on the iPad. The app is HeartWatch. I have no idea how to get it not to show up on the iPad's app store update list.

Lisa

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have no idea how to get it not to show up on the iPad's app store update list.

I don't think you can since the updates are programmed against your Apple ID and purchases. There are apps that are best used on one device or another; for example the Kindle App. I certainly don't want to read books on my iPhone but do so on my iPad Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Lisa,  Watch apps only install through another iDevice like the iPhone or iPad, not directly to the Watch. So you will get the Watch apps showing up on whatever device you use to install them to the Watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How can an app show as needing an update if it isn't installed? Did you install it on the iPad with "auto install" when you added it to your phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further back in this thread I reported the exact same issue since 11.x, but ONLY one my personal 6S+. My work 6S has no issues and neither does my iPad Pro 12.9" (first gen).

For a while, I thought it had been corrected through an update but I'm now on 11.1.2 and it's still doing it.

I've also noticed my phone showing the clocking symbol across the status bar when no apps are open. No idea what it's trying to do.

I thought I would post an update.

My phone was doing this again, so I decided to track it down. I closed all of the open apps and it continued to clock. I let the phone sit for five minutes, unused, screen locked. It continued to clock.

I turned off WiFi. It continued to clock.

This is where I dug in - I went into Settings -> Cellular, swiped all the way to the bottom, and tapped to reset the statistics. All apps now show nothing for consumed data. Set the phone down, let the screen lock, picked it back up a few minutes later and went back to Settings -> Cellular.

The "Settings" app showed data consumption and nothing else did. It seems that there must have been some sort of update from TracFone / Straight Talk that it couldn't complete. I hard reset the phone (lock and home buttons), the phone rebooted, and it's been about 1.5 days without it clocking for "no reason."

The next time this happens, I'm going to check the provider information to get the TFW and PRL versions before I hard reset. If I can track this down specifically to a provider issue, I can then contact my carrier to see what's going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The HeartWatch app was only installed on my iPhone. It then gets installed on the Watch. I have never installed it on my iPad. In fact, once it showed up in my updates on my iPad I decided to tried to see if it would install. I got a message that said it is incompatible with this device.

So the mystery is why did it show up in updates in the first place? I think it has to do with the developer? Anyway, it won't go away so for now I am ignoring it.
My OCD does hate to see that "1" that appears with the "A" icon. ;P

One last point - I do not have autoinstall set on any device I own. I like to control when and where since I have much much faster internet at work I prefer to use it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to know why Apple thinks these things are improvements:

- With the screen locked, swipe up for Control Center. Launch the calculator app. There's no way to get rid of it now without locking your screen. Previously, you could make it go away with a simple press of the Home button. What if I want it to close and then open the Alarm Clock?
- Why can't I get rid of RECENT notifications in bulk any more? I am forced to wait some unknown period of time before they become "Earlier" notifications and THEN I can dismiss them in bulk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.