iOS 11

M

MacInWin

Ian, get the latest update to iMazing, 2.5.0. I think they added the store in the just previous update, but might as well to to the newest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ian, get the latest update to iMazing, 2.5.0. I think they added the store in the just previous update, but might as well to to the newest.

Thanks for the info but haven't needed to use iMazing for a bit but some nice new features from their update list:
iMazing 2 for Mac 2.5.0
Version: 2.5.0

Release date: 2017-11-03

What's New in iMazing 2.5

iPhone X

Support for new resolution in iMazing's UI
Minor compatibility adjustments
Brand new Manage Apps wizard

Download IPAs from the App Store
Manage an App Library on your computer, install/uninstall, backup or restore all from the same view
Sort apps by size, filter them by Apple ID
Restoring .imazingapp apps now installs the app straight from the App Store
Read our blog post to learn more
Fixes in version 2.5.0 (8216)

Fixed an issue where apps could be not installed when restoring a backup. Make sure to do a new backup if you were experiencing this issue.
Fixes in version 2.5.0 (8214)

Backup: fixed an issue where backing up to a NAS volume which was not mounted when the backup started could cause an 'Cannot Optimise Backup Size' error.
Books: better metadata support (Artist field)
HEIC conversion: added support for color profiles, improved robustness
Notes: fixed case where some notes could appear twice
UI: fixed screenshot display issues with some rarer devices
Also some interesting and helpful stuff at their linked blog:
https://imazing.com/blog/imazing-2-5-download-apps

It sure seems to beat Apple's recent iTunes confusing mess by a long way, and especially something that some non-iMazing users may want to looks into using.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bang on, Jake & Patrick. I had version 2.4.something.

Now duly updated to 2.5.0

Thanks guys.

Ian

M

MacInWin

One of the nice features is that you can filter the apps by the AppleID that downloaded them originally. I am one of those folks who inadvertently have create two different AppleIDs and have tried to migrate away to get to just one. But I could never figure out what apps were still tagged to the old AID. Now I can, and I have finally fixed the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Bob, out of curiosity, why do you thing backing up with iTunes would affect the problem with the App store? iTunes no longer connects to the App store.
Because, I was experiencing that issue also, then it went away, after I had done a backup/sync with iTunes, it's just a feeling. I used iTunes to do the iOS 11 upgrade on my devices, and experienced it on both my iPad Pro and iPhone 6. A few weeks later after another sync/backup with iTunes, and I haven't experienced it again on either device.

I feel like Apple doesn't like it when users use other apps to do what Apple's apps do, so I try not to use other apps if I can avoid it.

M

MacInWin

Well, I did backup and sync with iTunes, one last time, and it's happened since then, so that theory seems not to be working. I'm living with it for now, but next time it happens, Apple gets a call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Ok, that confirms it didn't work then, thanks. Sorry it didn't help.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Bob, out of curiosity, why do you thing backing up with iTunes would affect the problem with the App store? iTunes no longer connects to the App store.

On another note, iMazing now DOES connect to the app store. You have to first purchase through the device, but it can download .ipa files directly now. I haven't given that a try for updates, but may do that next time it stalls.

Thanks Jake, that's a very handy bit of information.

M

MacInWin

UPDATE: Tonight I had a notice that 5 updates were waiting on my iPhone (most of them updated for iPhone X). So I went ahead and tapped "Update All" and the whole thing stalled. I got the spinner circles that converted to a grey circle with a box on three of them, no progress on the download at all. Because I had some time, I opened a support chat with Apple. After about 20 minutes with the 1st Tier, he gave up and handed me over to the "technician" who read what I said, basically "it stalls, won't finish, reboot is required, iPhone is NOT stalled, just the update," and then suggested that I reset the network. So, I did. Of course, that then rebooted the phone, which cleared the stall so she now claimed "victory" for the fact that it went ahead and finished. But I could have done that by just rebooting in the first place, so her "fix" is no fix at all.

I'm thinking of sending the entire transcript of the chat to Tim Cook. I'm getting tired of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are any of these, apps that you use frequently? I wonder it has to do with the apps, frequency of use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
I just had mine lock up like that again, but with a new twist.

Opening the App Store would previously just show a list of updates but wouldn't be able to download them. This time, It said "Updates" on the top when I opened it and that was it. A second or so later, the icon would appear in the upper right indicating my account. But, NO APPS were listed below.

The apps that were in need of updating were a mix of ones that I hadn't used in a while and ones that I use frequently. Restarting the phone once again made it so updates would install, and it found a few additional apps that needed updating when it connected.

I am now of the opinion that this is a fundamental problem with the App Store app itself and something on my device getting corrupted (my other phone absolutely NEVER has this issue). Both devices are now running 11.1.1.

I'm getting -really- tired of this instability and Apple taking more and more controls and such away from us with these OS updates. I'm going to continue to run my 6S Plus for a while, but my next phone seems much more likely every day that it will be Android.

M

MacInWin

Bob, as near as I can tell, it's totally random. Sometimes it works fine, other times it stalls. Like Ember1205, I also have seen the stalled blank screen, no apps showing at all, and like Ember1205, I have to reboot the iPhone to get it back working. The apps are ones I use every day and some I don't use much at all. The point is that it can happen with ANY update, at ANY time, with NO pattern I can see. If the next time it happens I have the time to work on it, I'll call Apple again and ask to go straight to a second level. And I'm NOT going to reset or reboot it until they find a fix, or admit it's their problem. I'm not so desperate to go to Android, but it's really frustrating to see no pattern, no trigger and no help from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Bob, as near as I can tell, it's totally random. Sometimes it works fine, other times it stalls. Like Ember1205, I also have seen the stalled blank screen, no apps showing at all, and like Ember1205, I have to reboot the iPhone to get it back working. The apps are ones I use every day and some I don't use much at all. The point is that it can happen with ANY update, at ANY time, with NO pattern I can see. If the next time it happens I have the time to work on it, I'll call Apple again and ask to go straight to a second level. And I'm NOT going to reset or reboot it until they find a fix, or admit it's their problem. I'm not so desperate to go to Android, but it's really frustrating to see no pattern, no trigger and no help from Apple.

It seems to me that it's most likely to occur after I've transitioned to a new WiFi network (and possibly back again) like when I leave home, connect somewhere else, then return home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Incidentally, iMazing does not support adding or deleting Ringtones yet. The only way to remove duplicates from an iPhone is (apparently) erasing and restoring the iPhone.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!!

I will just live with the duplicates for now :)

M

MacInWin

It seems to me that it's most likely to occur after I've transitioned to a new WiFi network (and possibly back again) like when I leave home, connect somewhere else, then return home.
Hmm, that's an interesting observation. I had eleven updates today, worked fine for all of them, but I had not been out. Now I have been out and around, not on another WiFi, but definitely off my home one, and now back. Wonder what the next updates will do?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Incidentally, iMazing does not support adding or deleting Ringtones yet. The only way to remove duplicates from an iPhone is (apparently) erasing and restoring the iPhone.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!!

I will just live with the duplicates for now :)

Don't know about your experience with ringtones or dupes, but with ringtones and wallpaper, all I do is re-sync with my iPhone attached to my Mac while running iTunes. It takes care of dupes and/or adds removes anything that does not show up under iTunes. Remember... you do not have to re-sync everything, only what is needed. In your case, ringtones.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmm, that's an interesting observation. I had eleven updates today, worked fine for all of them, but I had not been out. Now I have been out and around, not on another WiFi, but definitely off my home one, and now back. Wonder what the next updates will do?

I wonder if that is the issue some are having? I own an iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad 10.5" Pro and not had that issue and get updates daily but I am always on the same WiFi network when I update.

M

MacInWin

I wonder if that is the issue some are having? I own an iPhone 5s, iPad Air and iPad 10.5" Pro and not had that issue and get updates daily but I am always on the same WiFi network when I update.
Usually, I am too. But if Apple is going to force us to use the WiFi to get updates, shouldn't they allow it on ANY WiFi we may attach through? Why would changing wifi networks affect app updates? I sometimes wonder if Apple bothers to take the devices out of their own building to test...

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Same here as Dennis. I have on occasion received notice of multiple updates to iOS apps and never experience a problem with downloading and updating. I will admit it's somewhat inconvenient to have to update 3 devices separately rather than just update apps with iTunes and then WiFi sync them to all my devices. Once again, thanks Apple. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.