Install OS X Leopard Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 8-Core Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad 16GB RAM (4) 2TB HD MA970LL/A
I Meant OSX Not OSC! I have a Intel 8-Core Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad 16GB RAM (4)2TB HD MA970LL/A. New Drives in unit I can't get OSX Leopard to install. Get 2-3 minutes into the install and then tells me to restart computer? I have tried all the commands and reset. I need to get to the utilities to get hard drives ready. With no OS on them how do I get there. The DVD Leopard does not have an Drive Utility?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Two questions for you:

1. Do you really need to install such an old OS version (10.5)…when you have FIVE newer OS versions that this computer could run?
2. What does your OS 10.5 install disk look like? Refer to this thread s it helps (post #1 primarily):

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

- Nick

Well I'm just trying to get the system running. I do have some DVD's With 10.4 but they won't boot? I'm looking for a newer version os OSX now. Will a newer version let me format the drives? Would the following work better on this unit? (OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard ) Thanks Warren

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will a newer version let me format the drives? Would the following work better on this unit? (OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard ).

All Mac OS install media can format a drive. Yes…OS 10.6 would be better.

- Nick

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All Mac OS install media can format a drive. Yes…OS 10.6 would be better.

- Nick

Thanks for the info. I've been away from Mac's for a few years and now I'm working on them again. I had to find all my disc's and wow I was out of date! I've worked on Mac's for over 20 years and had all the older versions softwares. Guess its time to start shopping. I picked up this Mac Pro Tower and updated it to its full potential. Can't wait to get it running. My son wants to do video editing and Mindcraft Servers on it. I will keep you posted when OSX arrives. I just orded it. Thanks Warren

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal Warren. We're here to help.:)

Welcome back to owning a Mac. I've been using & working on them for…("A-hem")…30 years next year!;) Yikes!;)

- Nick

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal Warren. We're here to help.:)

Welcome back to owning a Mac. I've been using & working on them for…("A-hem")…30 years next year!;) Yikes!;)

- Nick

Well Still No Luck? I was able to grab a copy of OS X Yosemite & Lion 10.7 and both still won't boot this dam Power Mac up. All I get is a flashing folder. I still don't even see the OS pop up when holding down Shift or C Keys. I reset many times using Option Command P & R. I'm booting from Internal Dvd, External DVD/Blueray and USB. Nothing. Funny thing I was able to load Windows Server 2012 from Internal DVD with no Problems. So My Mac will be a Dam Windows Server. What is wrong with Mac boot softwares? Warren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How did you get Yosemite without Snow Leopard OS X.6 or later? Not from the App Store?Buy a Snow Leopard DVD from Apple Online for $20 bucks, boot from that and update to Yosemite from there. You will need to establish an Apple ID with the App Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Still No Luck? I was able to grab a copy of OS X Yosemite & Lion 10.7 and both still won't boot this dam Power Mac up. All I get is a flashing folder. I still don't even see the OS pop up when holding down Shift or C Keys. I reset many times using Option Command P & R. I'm booting from Internal Dvd, External DVD/Blueray and USB. Nothing. Funny thing I was able to load Windows Server 2012 from Internal DVD with no Problems. So My Mac will be a Dam Windows Server. What is wrong with Mac boot softwares? Warren

That's pretty darn strange. Are you absolutely sure this is a Mac Pro? How many optical drive doors does it have (one or two)?

Just checking.:)

- Nick

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's pretty darn strange. Are you absolutely sure this is a Mac Pro? How many optical drive doors does it have (one or two)?

Just checking.:)

- Nick

I will take pictures when I get home. I even took out all the hard drives and stuck in a 750gb drive removed all the ram except 4gb and still can't get it to boot from Mac OSX. I was able to install Windows 7 Pro. I stopped that install because I want Mac OSX on it. Let you know later. Thanks warren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Are you absolutely sure this is a Mac Pro?
Well, his specs in the first post relate to an early 2008 Mac Pro according to Mactracker.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, his specs in the first post relate to an early 2008 Mac Pro according to Mactracker.

Yes I'm very aware of that (sometimes folks make mistakes identifying their computers)!:) Can you then explain why 10.7 or Yosemite won't install?

Because if it isn't a Mac Pro…and actually a Powermac G5…then that would explain why 10.7 or Yosemite won't install.

I'm simply trying to verify that the OP has a Mac Pro…and not something else.

- Nick

C

chas_m

It certainly sounds like he is getting his software from dodgy sources, so I am unsurprised that he's having trouble. The optical drive could be going as well, on a machine that old.

Either way I'd tell him to order the $20 Snow Leopard DVD from Apple, that will be a known-good source for the absolute MINIMUM os version he should be running. Putting Leopard on anything anymore is *dangerous* on top of being practically useless.

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It certainly sounds like he is getting his software from dodgy sources, so I am unsurprised that he's having trouble. The optical drive could be going as well, on a machine that old.

Either way I'd tell him to order the $20 Snow Leopard DVD from Apple, that will be a known-good source for the absolute MINIMUM os version he should be running. Putting Leopard on anything anymore is *dangerous* on top of being practically useless.

Well I know my computers and here is the proof!! I'm getting my OSX from a friends Images server. I converted the .dmg to ISO so I can burn it to DVD or BlueRay. Since I don't have a running mac I can only do all of this on a PC Win 7Pro. Hmmm....

20150202_14131544.jpg

MAc Pro Tag.jpg

C

chas_m

So, as stated above, stop using these illegal (and, evidently, corrupted) image files and order the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple. That will solve the problem.

EDIT: 18,000th post! Not sure if I should celebrate or worry that I have too much time on my hands ... :)

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, as stated above, stop using these illegal (and, evidently, corrupted) image files and order the Snow Leopard DVD from Apple. That will solve the problem.

EDIT: 18,000th post! Not sure if I should celebrate or worry that I have too much time on my hands ... :)

Yup I will. I did buy Snow Leopard and it's not here yet. I'm tracking the shippment. So I will have a DVD to try again. So I hope to place the DVD in and get to the Utilities Menu to format the drives and get started. Warren

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I know my computers and here is the proof!! I'm getting my OSX from a friends Images server. I converted the .dmg to ISO so I can burn it to DVD or BlueRay. Since I don't have a running mac I can only do all of this on a PC Win 7Pro. Hmmm....

Thanks Warren. This computer is definitely a Mac Pro.:)

What you're describing as your source for the OS install files seems like it could be of questionable quality (the best source would be Apple to insure no problems). And the process you described (.dmg to ISO to DVD) seems like a process where errors could occur as well.

To eliminate any possibility of problems…I would also suggest what chas_m suggested. Purchase an OS 10.6 install DVD from Apple for $19.99…install 10.6 (update it to 10.6.8)…then go to the app store to download Yosemite (free). Then you should be good to go.:)

- Nick

p.s. Just read your post mentioning you purchased a 10.6 disk..and are awaiting delivery.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well .. and congrats chas m. Means you is getting old my boy!

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well .. and congrats chas m. Means you is getting old my boy!

Oh Well. Over All What do you think of this MacPro? Should be fast and have lots of storage. Once I have the latest and greatest OSX on it!!! I took some pic's and also noticed a tag that says BT? Looks like wireless is on it to? BT for Blue Tooth? Thanks for the support every one! Thanks Warren

20150202_161239.jpg

20150202_161351.jpg

20150202_161445.jpg

20150202_161553.jpg

20150202_161624.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh Well. Over All What do you think of this MacPro? Should be fast and have lots of storage. Once I have the latest and greatest OSX on it!!! I took some pic's and also noticed a tag that says BT? Looks like wireless is on it to? BT for Blue Tooth? Thanks for the support every one!

Yes…"BT" = bluetooth.

As far as performance. From a CPU standpoint…if you do stuff that uses all 8 cores…then yes it will perform well. But if doing stuff that only requires 2 cores…then newer computers are faster (CPU-wise).

For example…compared to the Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro I'm using at the moment:

2008 Mac Pro single core CPU benchmark performance = 1650
2011 13" MBP single core CPU benchmark performance = 2375

Of course a Mac Pro has other advantages…like being able to run many monitors…4 internal HD's…2 optical drives…etc.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.