Install OS X Leopard Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Because if it isn't a Mac Pro…and actually a Powermac G5
Yes, I had noticed his reference to a Powermac, but the specs were quite specific and correct as it turns out.

I'd go with chas_m

18,000 posts. Nice one chas_m.
thumbs.gif

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, I had noticed his reference to a Powermac, but the specs were quite specific and correct as it turns out.

Folks in the past have given exact system specs…and they turned out to be wrong. Nothing worse then getting "15-20 posts deep" into a thread…to find out that the computer being discussed isn't the correct computer.

So when unusual things things are happening (like in this thread)…it is sometimes wise to verify the info being provided.

In this thread there is/was something "weird" going on. Yes...the OP did correctly provide the system specs (Mac Pro)…but the "weird" part...there is no reason that the OP should have trouble installing OS 10.5, 10.7, or 10.10 on a Mac Pro 3,1. Then we found out that the OP was using OS install files that may have been coming from a questionable source.

So the advice given was…get install media directly from Apple…and hopefully everything will be fine.:)

In this case verifying the computer specs did not lead to the source of the issue. But it never hurts to do it (when strange things happen that don't make sense). Asking the OP to verify the specs in this thread wasn't done with any malice…it was done because things weren't adding up (computer specs + attempted OS installs = problems (when there shouldn't be problems).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Cheers, pigoo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Warren I believe when you get the operating system set up and working properly you will be more than happy with your Mac Pro's performance. After installing Snow Leopard, update to OS X.6.8, establish an Apple ID account, and from the App Store download Yosemite OS X.10. It is a free 5GB download. Before installing, burn to an 8GB USB thumb drive using Diskmaker X.

Boot from the thumb drive, leave Installer and go to utilities and erase and format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and proceed with the install. Always a great idea to wipe the drive when you purchase a machine as who knows what could have been left behind.

The Bluetooth and Airport card look very similar and sir nearly on top of each other. Trust it also has Airport installed.

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 8-Core Mac Pro 2 x 2.8GHz Quad 16GB RAM (4) 2TB HD MA970LL/A
Yes!!!! I'm on the way to getting this Mac Pro Ready. Thanks for the info harryb2448. I will do just so. Thanks for all the help everyone. If I need answers I know where to get them fast. Your Back in the Mac World Friend..Warren

20150203_184624.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes!!!! I'm on the way to getting this Mac Pro Ready. Thanks for the info harryb2448. I will do just so. Thanks for all the help everyone. If I need answers I know where to get them fast. Your Back in the Mac World Friend..Warren

Does this mean you received your Snow Leopard disk…and the OS install is going fine?

- Nick

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Snow Leopard arrived by Fedex and the install went perfect! I have all the drives ready and just finished all the updates. I'm now installing Yosemite and will finish up with updates. The Yosemite took 25 minutes to download (5.9GB). Nice to have Business class internet with Time Warner. Then time to play! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good man!

It is always better to do things correctly and at the rock bottom price of Yosemite (zilch) not worth mucking about with others questionable software. Did you make the bootable USB thumb drive?

When up and running make sure you download the Yoemite updates. Currently OS 10.10.2.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes Snow Leopard arrived by Fedex and the install went perfect!

Awesome…great to hear.:)

I think that you may realize now that the OS install files you were trying to use before (from the friends image server)…were just causing you a bunch of headaches!;)

Congrats,:)

- Nick

OP
wlatour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes no more hear ya go Software try it????? Not. I did place the Yosemite on a 16gb usb bootable drive. I'm now almost finished with the upgrade. I did wipe the drives any way. So I have a nice clean OSX. Thanks for the info Everyone :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.