Install newer/latest OS on Mid 2011 Imac

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
P
Reaction score
As I said, you really should read the discussions about how long you should go before upgrading to a new Mac. If you wait too long, there can definitely be very negative repercussions. Ask anyone who held on to an old Mac for a long time, and who ran AppleWorks or MacWrite for too long.
As repeatedly said though, vast majority of home users simply use a mac For browsing, emails spreadsheets, document winters, streaming, there's no repercussions if you have a back up of all personal files what so ever. Let's not push people away from 27 inches of beautiful imagery that's super fast for the sake of £50 upgrade to an SSD (future proof with an external caddy) . I've added a wifi adaptor for £6 and doubled the WiFi speed to 800mbps, RAM IS so cheap too and easy to do , theres just No downside, but plenty of upside. Don't listen to the doubters it's a great machine still that will cost you £700-1k to replace with current models.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Don't listen to the doubters it's a great machine still thst will cost you £700-1k to improve on.

Ouch... Those prices for additional add-ons or replacements sure must be a lot more expensive for where you live as it only cost me a small fraction of that amount over the years to add more RAM memory and more recently, an internal one terabyte solid state drive on my 2011 27" iMac.

Just saying, that seems to be a huge discrepancy with update costs compared to my situation.

- Patrick
=======

OP
P
Reaction score
£50 is a lot for a 1tb SSD? (84CN$ on amazon / £48) seems similar
£6 For a wifi adaptor is a lot?

Ouch to £56 in comparison to £1k buying new

I wouldn't personally notice £50 if I lost it in the street...

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
peteMacman, it sound like you have an adequate backup already in case of failure of your new SSD although Time Machine (TM) does offer "versioned" copies, meaning you can restore last weeks version of a file or last month's or yesterday's or even a trashed file. That is one reason I use TM as well as a full cloned copy.
Cloned copies also like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) also offer a "Safety Net" which prevents overwriting of earlier file versions but it is limited to user preferences.
As you are using your old drive as backup you might consider using a cloning app like CCC on that. Just a thought.
My point is to stress that a backup should not contain unique data, if so it too needs to be backed up. We see this too often where a backup fails and it is the only source of data not copied anywhere else.
So, I have a CCC clone with Safety Net and a TM backup and in the past (when it was easily possible and practical) I ensure the clone was bootable.

Reaction score
...Are you trying to tell me that Venture hasn't changed the Mac interface...

Where are you hearing that the Macintosh interface has changed in Ventura?

It's been cleaned up and prettied a bit, but otherwise it is just the same.

The OS after Ventura, Sonoma, has already been announced. And it doesn't have an all-new interface either. Just little tweaks to make it prettier.

Reaction score
As repeatedly said though, vast majority of home users simply use a mac For browsing,...

Okay, let's just stick to that one thing. Web standards are constantly evolving, and Web browsers don't try to maintain backwards compatibility indefinitely. I often hear from folks who have 10 year old or older Macs who suddenly find that they can't access all the Web sites that they want/need to, and can't find a modern Web browser that will run on their old Mac.

Once again, instead of just thinking that you know better, you might want to access past discussions on the topic.

OP
P
Reaction score
peteMacman, it sound like you have an adequate backup already in case of failure of your new SSD although Time Machine (TM) does offer "versioned" copies, meaning you can restore last weeks version of a file or last month's or yesterday's or even a trashed file. That is one reason I use TM as well as a full cloned copy.
Cloned copies also like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) also offer a "Safety Net" which prevents overwriting of earlier file versions but it is limited to user preferences.
As you are using your old drive as backup you might consider using a cloning app like CCC on that. Just a thought.
My point is to stress that a backup should not contain unique data, if so it too needs to be backed up. We see this too often where a backup fails and it is the only source of data not copied anywhere else.
So, I have a CCC clone with Safety Net and a TM backup and in the past (when it was easily possible and practical) I ensure the clone was bootable.
Brilliant thanks for clarifying the benefits :) ill def look at TM, Great thankyou

OP
P
Reaction score
Okay, let's just stick to that one thing. Web standards are constantly evolving, and Web browsers don't try to maintain backwards compatibility indefinitely. I often hear from folks who have 10 year old or older Macs who suddenly find that they can't access all the Web sites that they want/need to, and can't find a modern Web browser that will run on their old Mac.

Once again, instead of just thinking that you know better, you might want to access past discussions on the topic.
I have done that's why I'm so intruiged by your comments
You're telling me no one can use chrome, Firefox, etc etc on high Sierra or access websites... This is just not factual from my standpoint and I utilise for work and personal . I'm running chrome with 40 extensions and have never ever had one website I've had an issue with ever . I'm bamboozled but very open to you providing 100s of examples your suggesting. I'm. Not saying your wrong I'm seeking your references so I can appreciate. Look forward to hearing back.

Reaction score
...very open to you providing 100s of examples your suggesting.

Nah, thanks, I don't need a homework assignment. You know better than everyone else, so you go ahead and do things your way. Let us know how that works out for you in a couple of years.

OP
P
Reaction score
Nah, thanks, I don't need a homework assignment. You know better than everyone else, so you go ahead and do things your way. Let us know how that works out for you in a couple of years.
No you know better Randy, you're saying browsers don't work on a 2011 mac you already did the home work just asking you to prove your comments otherwise you're misleading people and we are left in the dark. Im submitting to your superior knowledge. If I'm stating facts I'll. Back them up.. You've stated it.. Show us what doesn't work otherwise we the lesser knowledgeable can't learn. As said my chrome browser has zero issues and for work and play I've never come across a modern or antiquated website with any issue what so ever. So please provide some examples for. People's awareness. You stated you know.

Teachers don't do homework they provde the fact based proof for students to learn

Thanks for helping the community

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
@Randy B. Singer and @peteMacman please settle down and keep this friendly.
Its totally friendly, I've no issue. I genuinely want to be informed...i do think it's very important people reveal real world examples of issues etc rather otherwise it simply remains hearsay and gossip.

It's important so people can then make real informed decisions, as opposed to being coerced into upgrading / purchasing new kit. Im happy to show my real world experience of chrome Firefox and safari working like a dream on 2011 kit and the many you tube examples of that are out there.

I hope randy can enlighten us on the issues. I'm sure he will with good faith and a desire to help all.

Thanks Jimmy but no issues here sir.

Reaction score
I hope randy can enlighten us on the issues. I'm sure he will with good faith and a desire to help all.

This is a discussion forum. We discuss things here. I'm not going to write a term paper for you. Do your own homework.

A lot has been written in past discussions on this forum, all of which you have access to. If that isn't enough for you then I guess that you will just have to learn by being the guy who pees on the electric fence for himself.

OP
P
Reaction score
Don't get upset Randy or let there be any need to be offensive, now now we are all friends here and just trying to provide the appropriate information to each other. You seem to have the insight yet still unable to provide the hard evidence of a 2011 imac being unable to access the web. So I guess until you do then we will have to say this can only be seen as scaremongering as you seem to repeatedly avoid the opportunity to respond. As said teachers provide evidence of the truth. A mere student as myself can only research and if unable to find his superior guides knowledge would hope he can be shown the light.

As said there are many many many users who have upgraded our 2011 kit and it works superbly, browsing the internet and plenty more.

If you ever decide to put your money where your mouth is, come back to us so we can all be shown the issues from your greater knowledge.

Until then, I'll be sending this reply on my 2011 mac, in chrome, on my browser and oh.. Look.. No issues :)

Have fun, keep smiling :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
put your money where your mouth is

OK, here's a bit of money. I have an old Mini, presently running El Cap. I have a financial institution that won't accept that version of Safari for any financial transaction. I've also tried other browsers that run on it, and the financial institution won't accept them, either. Keeps telling me to use a browser with more modern security capabilities. So, basically, it can't be used to manage my accounts there at all.

It's retired now to being a movie server for me.

As you say, "Have fun, keep smiling."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
OK, here's a bit of money. I have an old Mini, presently running El Cap. I have a financial institution that won't accept that version of Safari for any financial transaction. I've also tried other browsers that run on it, and the financial institution won't accept them, either. Keeps telling me to use a browser with more modern security capabilities. So, basically, it can't be used to manage my accounts there at all.

This is also true for Windows, certain sites will require the latest security to browse them, which means the latest browser. Less critical sites will allow viewing of their sites with any browser.

OP
P
Reaction score

1. What year is your mac mini you neglected to state.
2. "One" whole website out of trillions... One.. Oh no..
3. Financial institutions (for which I work for one) have fast moved away from web based access and security and are now trending toward fingerprint, mobile number, two step security. So I'd suggest switching to a more up to date financial institution if you're struggling.
4. Safari often neglect to support enhancements on old platforms in the hope you'll upgrade your kit. They are reknowed for it. Try opposing browsers
5. I've 12 differing financial institutions I use, firstly all of them without exception have mobile apps, but all work perfectly on my browser also.. I must be blessed.

So my monies all gold and I'm still very much smiling :)

Really hope you enjoy your day, here's to a positive attitude and support for your fellow forum members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1. 2009
2. If I put one drop of sewage in a glass of distilled water...
3. Oh, my financial institution has lots of security. So much so that no browser that I tried (4-4 different ones before I gave up) can process the security. Hence the issue.
4. The old "Safari is crapola" ploy isn't valid. I tried multiple varieties of browsers, as I said. The challenge is that the hardware is stuck at El Cap, which limits what I can run, which limits the security features. There are lots of other applications that won't run on it, either, which is why it's retired to something it CAN do.
5. You sound much like the man who fell from the 100th floor of a building who, when passing the 4th floor, thought to himself, "96 down and I'm fine, only four to go."

Keep smiling, only four to go... :)

OP
P
Reaction score
1.Then best you contact your financial institution with an app like anyone else would in 2023 to purchase some new kit, if the ONE website you can't use is so essential I've a great 2011 mac working spiffingly if you want to cut a deal.
2. I'd suggest not putting defecating on your mini, whilst hard metals don't tend to have properties that bode well with diffusion you may cause yourself an injury.
3. Do they have an app... Try that it's 2023. No one uses Internet banking anymore you neglected to respond to this fact. Maybe you aren't aware.
4. I work in cyber security for financial institutions. Its fact and a well known fact. Safari has less than 25% of the Market. There are reasons.
5.i think you've already hit the ground from the sound of it :) now do pick yourself up and dust off.

Keep trying bless you.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay guys - preserve absolute calm. (y)

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.