Install disc for Japanese iBook G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In Finder, the file size is 2.83GB, and your image shows 2.83GB as the discs capacity. Maybe they are different version number 10.4.4 vs 10.4.6? Other than that I'm not sure.

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
On the pages you linked to, which file did you download? The ISO or the torrent? I'm downloading the ISO file from this link;

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Retail DVD : Apple INC : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive to see what the file type is.

What toast images?

These ones: iBook G4 (Mid 2005) Install DVDs : Apple : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I usually use the torrent because it saves archive.org some bandwidth. The content is the same as the direct downloads.

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
That's exactly how the DVD looks for me, although it's a Japanese OS so obviously everything is in Japanese.

I will try the image from Macintosh Garden. The comments say something about "if your machine needs 10.4.5 you may need a machine specific restore disc". I wonder if that's the issue I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I wonder if that's the issue I have.
Did you look at @everymac.com? To get the full specs of that iBook as it will tell you the original Mac OS X numbered specific version it shipped with

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
Did you look at @everymac.com? To get the full specs of that iBook as it will tell you the original Mac OS X numbered specific version it shipped with

Yes it was 10.4.2 (8D37), but I can't find any copies of that. I set up an eBay notification. I did try the 10.4.2 discs off archive.org, but no joy. I see there is a 4x CD set for 10.4.2 as well, might give that a go.

krs

Reaction score
Yes it was 10.4.2 (8D37), but I can't find any copies of that.
Most likely because there aren't any retail DVD's like that.
Macs were shipped with system specific DVD's, the grey ones.
Any 10.4 retail DVD will work as long as the issue is .2 or later, so a 10.4.6 for instance is fine.

What I found yesterday googling a bit, is that there is a lot of misinformation about these older macOS on line.
I would just spend the $20.- or so and buy an original 10.4 retail DVD - that way one knows for sure if the install problem is the downloaded software or the Mac.

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
I think I'm going to do that, there are some on eBay that look like they should work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are these the right discs?

Not unless you can possibly read the fine print on the gray Mac OS install discs as to exactly which "early iMac" model they were meant for, if they even says so. Apple was not exactly meticulous in their labeling as I recall.
Original Mac Install Discs, iMac Tiger OS X 10.4.10 for early iMac

The full Mac OS 10.4.x "Retail" install discs (Black and Chrome with a big X on their face as I recall) would be a better bet and usually guaranteed to work on all supported models.

Also, I would be inclined to avoid this purchase because of their comment":

The more generally usable and work better retail versions look like this, and they are not gray discs that are designed for specific models:

tiger_box.jpg

Or try their site:

- Patrick
=======

krs

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that one.
If this is just a Combo update, one needs to have an earlier version of Tiger already installed on the Mac to use it.
The black retail Tiger install DVD is still the most likely to work.

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
Yes, it doesn't work. I can't find a reasonably priced retail copy in the UK, but I'll keep looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, it doesn't work. I can't find a reasonably priced retail copy in the UK, but I'll keep looking.

Do you happen to have a fairly convenient local Apple Service Support store that possibly has a compatible copy of the OS they could install on your Mac for you for maybe a small charge???

It might be worthwhile asking if they could do such a thing for you. It sure wouldn't hurt to ask.

- Patrick
=======

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
That's a good idea. I will email all the Apple repair places around here. I called the nearest Apple Store but they said it wasn't something they could do in-store, although they were willing to look at sending it away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you ask if they could burn a DVD for you? If you bring in the DVD maybe?

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
Did you ask if they could burn a DVD for you? If you bring in the DVD maybe?

I asked the repair places that (email, closed now), but not the Apple Store. I thought it might be best not to ask if they could pirate Apple software, even if it is obsolete!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's not pirating. You have a machine, it came with the OS and they should be willing to reinstall it. It may require sending to an Apple depot repair, but they may be able to install it in-store for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.