Install disc for Japanese iBook G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For one, someone claims one cannot make a copy of the Tiger install DVD and also that there are no universal (ppc & Intel) full install disks.

I just took a quick look at this video You're like the kid installing Tiger 10.4 on his G3, but he seemed to have some trouble with some of the discs and had to re-burn some:

Installing OS X Tiger on an iMac G3​

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
True. Do not they normally charge you for restore discs?
Kuro,
You may want to read this:

For one, someone claims one cannot make a copy of the Tiger install DVD and also that there are no universal (ppc & Intel) full install disks.
I don't know what is actually true.

Thanks, following the link there goes to: Tips for Installing or Reinstalling Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger | Low End Mac

"On the PowerPC side, the situation is easier. Apple sold several versions of Tiger at retail, culminating with a 10.4.6 full install DVD. These discs will work on all supported models of PowerPC Macs and are the best ones to have or try to find via resellers."

That is extremely helpful. At least now I have a good idea of exactly what to look for.

That also makes me wonder if iBook G4 install discs are tied to a particular language, i.e. I would need Japanese ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That also makes me wonder if iBook G4 install discs are tied to a particular language, i.e. I would need Japanese ones.

I'm sorry I cannot guarantee that would possibly be the case but somehow I very much doubt it.

I would think a Mac OS X Japanese installer would be for the Japanese Market with maybe some specific items they would need, and the Mac OS X English installer would be for the English-speaking countries.

Apple already had enough various Tiger versions they had to look after:
- OS X 10.4 Tiger (Merlot) – April 29, 2005 (Latest: 10.4.11)
- OS X 10.4.4 Tiger (Chardonnay) – January 10, 2006 (for Intel Macs) (Latest: 10.4.11)

For all I know, Japanese and English and other languages would have been included with the installer desks, as I recall the install would ask what language you wanted to use primarily and install the appropriate stuff for those languages and probably keyboard variations and other necessary stuff as well.

- Patrick
=======

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
I finally found one that seems to work!

It's on 4 discs because it is a CD based installation. I am installing it now...

Still no idea why DVD based installers did not work. I only ever worked on these back in the day, fixing them for customers. It was all working on the hardware, and I remember that was a giant pain in the arse. I had no idea just re-installing the OS would be as well!

One thing I noticed is that the installer language option is "English". Not British English, not Oxford English, not US English... Just "English".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's on 4 discs because it is a CD based installation. I am installing it now...

Looking good... Definitely much better than previous...

Good luck. Here's hoping...

- Patrick
=======

OP
K

kuro68k

Reaction score
It's all installed and working now. Had a slight issue with the Japanese keyboard, but it turns out all you need to do is install Japanese language input (what on Windows is called the IME) and set the keyboard layout in that to "US". It's not US, but it works anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.