iMac M1 Monterey running slowly.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have now read the blurb on the site and I have a couple querys?

Does it do the backup copy of the complete system and does it do it to an external HDD/SSD? Sorry if I am being a bit superduper thick, but I'm not too sure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sorry, John, but what blurb on what site? This thread has wandered all over the place and I'm not sure what you are asking? If it's about SD!, it is supposed to make a full backup and make it bootable. I can't get that to work. For me, it copies for an hour or so, fails with an error about not finding "bless" to run, but then leaves the drive just like TM, with 500GB "used" but nothing visible in Finder, even when I show hidden files. The only thing working for me for backups is a CCC backup of just my data and Chronosync of the User folder.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you Jake. I didn't make it clear it was SD! I was referring to and it was the 'blurb' on their web site.

I think that I will leave all as is and work on the principle that now it ain't broke don't change it.

I'm pleased to say that mine is still working fine, but I'm still going to do both the TM and CCC backups.

It's a mixed blessing in that I'm glad that you found your problem that happened to me too because you can plan for it, but I just wish it hadn't happened in the first place! If my hair hadn't been grey before it would be now. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
See if these instructions help on removing Rapport: Trusteer Rapport Removal Tutorial - How to Easily Uninstall Trusteer Rapport (bad link removed)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was thinking Monterey would be a lot slower and take up more RAM on my M1 8GB mini but I have found the reverse is true. It if anything is faster than with Big Sur and I see less RAM usage in Activity monitor. Not sure what is causing the OP's issue but hope some of the help here helps him.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP here. My problem is now sorted and you lot on here are responsible for most of that, ta.

I ran another TM yesterday evening and all is well and my 2tb spinny HDD is going to take quite a while to fill up me-thinks.

It took a totally clean install and reloading the non standard applications one at a time with a TM back after each one. Not too time consuming and well worth the effort. The only down side I can think of is that I still don't know just what caused the problem?

My system arrived with Big Sur installed and I upped it to 12.0.1 and then 12.1. I have no idea what difference there was between the versions because I was just trying to get my brain cell around the difference between it and my old late 2009 iMac 21 ½ running High Sierra! So I can't help there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I GOT TM WORKING AGAIN!!!!!

Well, not me, necessarily. There was a thread started at the Apple Discussion section at Apple.com about 8 days ago and there was a suggestion that let me fix the issue and get a TM backup competed last night. What I did was search for this:

(104: BACKUP_DELAYED_UNFINISHED_PROTECTED_FILES)
which is the last message in the log from TM as it stops processing. That search led to this: Time Machine "Waiting to Compete First Ba… - Apple Community

In that discussion, the OP found this in his logs:

"Failed to acquire device lock assertion for........Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetPeople/Data/Library error: Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument""

And a quick search for that led me to another discussion where the solution was to run these commands in Terminal:

sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy
sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyNotificationsServiceExtension
sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetItems
sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetPeople
sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetIntentsItems
sudo tmutil addexclusion -p /Users/xxx/Library/Containers/com.apple.findmy.FindMyWidgetIntentsPeople

where you replace the "xxx" with your own home folder name.

So, I ran that and tried TM again. No go, still failed. But, when I went into the logs looking for "Failed to acquire..." errors, there were two, this time for not MY account, but on an account that I keep "clean" to use to boot if I see any anomalies in my system. And in that account, I had linked to my same AppleID and Find My... was turned on, so there were these same items there that TM was choking on. I ended up deleting that user and erasing the space and creating a new "clean" user and not yet booting into it. I then ran TM again and Voila! it ran! No errors, a good completion message, it's there!

Now, it may stop again if I do log into that user, or if something changes with that user, but for today, Time Machine is working again.

I will send these findings to Apple. They need to figure out how to let TM acquire these FindMy files.

Hope this works for you, if you find TM has stopped working. I suppose I could have just run the exclusion for the other account from my own, but it was quicker to just delete the user and recreate a new clean one. After all, I do want it to be clean. Maybe if it happens again I'll see if I can exclude files from a different account from the backup.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done Jake and I understood the first line mate!

I have used Terminal but under strict observation and great duress! It couldn't have been the same reason here though because I don't have a second user, well not one I know about anyway?

But whatever, kit's a good result. I still can't get my head around Apple telling you they hadn't seen the problem before when they had my lot sat fresh on their system? Perhaps it was in a left hand section and they were looking in the right hand place? :unsure:

Reaction score
I had Sophos plus another antivirus. My Mac was messing up. I called Apple care and discussed the situation. The Apple tech I was talking to said get rid of Sophos which I did. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reaction score
I had Sophos plus another antivirus. My Mac was messing up. I called Apple care and discussed the situation. The Apple tech I was talking to said get rid of Sophos which I did. Problem solved.

LOL! I told you that all the way back over 220 posts ago, in post #7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Actually you told @Jonzjob, but your point is well taken. ;)

I didn't realize that the problem could be specific to a particular user but definitely a waste of two months almost with frustrations over a slow Mac.
😇 😇 😒

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's correct. Randy told me and I ain't not got any antivirus running now, so lesson learned, but that wasn't what cured my problem.

It appears that you can buy viruses over here. Not expensive either?

Attachments

• Corona beer boxes.png
    Corona beer boxes.png
    751.2 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the problem could be specific to a particular user but definitely a waste of two months almost with frustrations over a slow Mac.

It's why I created an entire Web site devoted to the problem.

As I've said a number of times, I hear from one or two people EVERY WEEK who tell me that their Mac has slowed to a crawl, often with lots of rotating beachballs, and the first thing that I always ask them is "do you have anti-virus software running?" and the answer is just about always "yes". I ask them if it is Sophos, and about 90% of the time it is. I then have them delete it FULLY, and the problem just about always goes away immediately.

We may want to pin that advice somewhere here on Mac-Forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If we are going to pin advice, it might be helpful to pin what is in post 227 as well. Took a lot to find a working solution to the TM problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine appears to be fixed in Monterey 12.2. I turned off the exclusions I found and TM did a complete backup that it finished successfully. Strange that Apple never acknowledged it had the problem and now it's fixed, but there you go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine appears to be fixed in Monterey 12.2. I turned off the exclusions I found and TM did a complete backup that it finished successfully. Strange that Apple never acknowledged it had the problem and now it's fixed, but there you go.
Nothing new about that Jake. Apple seems to never acknowledge problems like yours, but instead choosing to fix them in a future update. Protect the brand. :)

Anyway, glad to hear it's fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. The tech I talked to about the problem did email to ask if it had fixed the issue. I ran two backups after undoing the exclusions I had done for the work-around and then emailed him back to say it did appear to be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Nothing new about that Jake. Apple seems to never acknowledge problems like yours, but instead choosing to fix them in a future update. Protect the brand. :)

I will give Apple credit if and when they ever do acknowledge an actual problem, and sometimes they actually do something to fix the problem, but getting them to admit there is a problem in the first place is the biggest hassle, if they ever do.

I am seeing some of those problems during my migration from Mavericks up to El Capitan that I started to do a few weeks ago, mainly due to some features that I couldn't fix but we're getting more and more annoying.

So I am in the process of trying to get things working the way I want them to work or at least close to the way they did in older Mac OS versions. Right now it seems as though I have migrated up to a version that appears as if it was created in a foggy graveyard and a lot of the colour was drained out after being run over by a power roller, and where one needs permissions to change one's permissions and set up a permission that allows the permission, in between, trying to get some work done.

I preferred the old simple ways. 😒

PS: Even later macOS versions looked and worked even worse and too many things never seem to get changed by Apple after many various forum members keep complaining about certain problems for years and years but Apple just seems to have a blind ear and they will just carry on doing it their way, come **** or high water...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.