Imac locked for security reasons

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) 2,7 GHz Core i5 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Hi,
I have an Imac 2013 late and I got this message this evening: This device is the property of Apple and has been locked for security reasons. When I restart the mac I can logging in and all seems ok but can't change the wallpaper. Another message on the log in screen is: This mac is The the property of AppleCare has been provided by Equipment Operations. I own this Mac for 2 years. 3 weeks ago installed a new ssd and a high sierra os. Could someone tell me what is it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I've never heard of a message like that from Apple.

I suspect that you have downloaded malware from some place. Run an anti-malware program to see what it comes up with.

Here's one that we recommend:

DetectX Swift

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Welcome to our forums.

I've never heard of a message like that from Apple.

I suspect that you have downloaded malware from some place. Run an anti-malware program to see what it comes up with.

Here's one that we recommend:

DetectX Swift

Thanks for reply
I tried that program but it says "No threats or problems found."
thanks anyway!

krs

Reaction score
Try the other two programs that have been recommended here many times:
Malwarebytes and
VirusBarrier Scanner

...and are you running any other anti-virus program or some Maccleaning program downloaded from the net?
Sure sounds ike malware to me as well.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just did a clean high sierra install. This is the message on the screen. I can log in with my username and password.

Attachments

• B66A636A-DE2F-4D9B-9EBB-E61D1FC7E9DC.jpeg
    B66A636A-DE2F-4D9B-9EBB-E61D1FC7E9DC.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 41

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay. Tell us where and who you purchased the iMac from? And where you are located at as those proceed messages are not in English.

Your home country in our data base shows up as Hungary.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I live in Ireland and I’m hungarian that’s why the language. My wife bought it to me for christmas almost 3 years ago from a private seller.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From this man

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I stated before, I have never seen a message like that from Apple. I know that company owned Macs (distributed to employees) have special firmware locking them as property of the company or organization.

I suspect the iMac your wife purchased was one of those perhaps owned and used by Apple employees. That's the only explanation I can come up with besides some type of malware.

It would appear your iMac is firmware locked that way.

The receipt you show above does not really tell us anything except it's from the person who sold the iMac to your wife. Where did that person get the iMac from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I wonder how clean the "new" SSD was and what might be lingering on the drive, especially considering one can't normally zero-out a SSD/

3 weeks ago installed a new ssd and a high sierra os

Just an odd chance maybe???

- Patrick
=======

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’ll ask her tomorrow because she gone to sleep :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still i have the old hdd with catalina. Tomorrow i’ll try to boot the mac from it as an external drive.

krs

Reaction score
It would appear your iMac is firmware locked that way.

If it is a firmware lock, that message would come regardless of which macOS was loaded on that iMac.
The OP also had this iMac for almost three years - is that message something new?

And if he can still log in with user name and password as he stated - that "firmware lock" is not much of a lock.

PS: I just called the phone number listed in the posted, 1-408-974-3333
Sure enough, it was actually Apple Security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS: I just called the phone number listed in the posted, 1-408-974-3333
Sure enough, it was actually Apple Security.

I wonder if the 0P has actually tried calling it yet as the message suggests???

It may be the quickest way to solve problem and get things working properly again.

I would be suspicious that even doing a SMC Resrt could fix such a problem. It's most likely something like a firmware or FireVault security lock that someone has tampered with just doing its thing.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And if he can still log in with user name and password as he stated - that "firmware lock" is not much of a lock.

It's not the same firmware lock you have in mind. Rather it's a common practice by organizations and companies that issue or loan out computers to employees. It's commonly referred to as an ownership firmware lock.

You'll notice that he can swap out or change the hard drive. If it were a real firmware security lock, that would not be possible.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be suspicious that even doing a SMC Resrt could fix such a problem. It's most likely something like a firmware security lock that someone has tampered with just doing its thing.

I don't think so Patrick. I have seen this before on computers and other devices owned by organizations and governments. It's a property security firmware lock that's used to prevent theft.

We have even seen this in our forums. I'm not going to do an extensive search to find the thread, but I know it has come up before.

The only way to erase that message is that the original owner has to use the special software provided by Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think so Patrick. I have seen this before on computers and other devices owned by organizations and governments. It's a property security firmware lock that's used to prevent theft.
... ... ....
The only way to erase that message is that the original owner has to use the special software provided by Apple.

Fair enough and that makes sense, but somehow I would've thought the company who was involved phone number would be provided rather than the one provided to contact Apple. But probably best to let them deal with it.

- Patrick
=======

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We have even seen this in our forums. I'm not going to do an extensive search to find the thread, but I know it has come up before.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you are right becouse i just see on the sellers facebook profil he works at Apple. Tomorrow i’ll try to talk with him.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to install different systems and changed the partition's name on ssd but nothing changed. Its always installed a remote management which enables the "appleCare-Apple Internal" administrator to manage this computer's settings. Booting from the old hdd it's worked fine without any problem. Finally I cloned my old system (catalina) from the hard drive to ssd and its seems ok now. Didn't chat with apple or seller jet. Im afraid can't do a clean install. Sorry about my bad english and thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.