iMac G5 20" Mid 2005 (Maybe)

OP
M
Reaction score
The ifixit.com site may or should have some decent photos or suggestions that cold work as a guide.

I don't know if the Apple Service Source manuals were available for those Macs but even so, are not the easiest things to get hold of, but maybe try googling but they may only be available via some unmentionable Mac pirate sites.

- Patrick
======

Hi Patrick. Thank for the nice advice! I've been looking at iFixit and their videos on YouTube in regards to repairs and disassembly. Really good stuff! However, I was not able to find those manuals yet... But, I know I have seen them on one site particular ;D

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...good deal...I got confused.;)

Member pm-r made a great suggestion to visit ifixit.com. Check out the various procedures there for your iMac model. ifixit.com has many different procedures for each computer model...and the procedures are very detailed with lots of photos. I would look at the procedure for removing the logic board...which should almost definitely require the disconnecting of all wires/cable to/from the logic board.:)

- Nick

Hey Nick. I've looked there and I found out that it was supposely a HDD sensor cable. But, the switch on the HDD is nowhere to be found?

OP
M
Reaction score
That latest one you got sure looks better. Be sure no cap is swelling on it's top. Even if there is no leakage it could be bad. I would change anything that looks bad in any way.

There are some swelling caps and some that are "running". But, it is nowhere near as bad as the first one. I originally intended on picking up this one first, but by accident I took the wrong one in some confusion. If you look at the pictures you can see there are caps that needs to be replaced. I wish I could find some diagram or such in regards to the motherboard etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey Nick. I've looked there and I found out that it was supposely a HDD sensor cable. But, the switch on the HDD is nowhere to be found?

Here's a photo of a new hard drive I purchased a couple months ago. Even though you have a 2005 iMac...and the HD I have was purchased just a couple months ago...it looks to me that the black cable would attach to the area in the red circle on my HD. Maybe your HD does or doesn't have the same connector:

IMG_1653.JPG

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Here's a photo of a new hard drive I purchased a couple months ago. Even though you have a 2005 iMac...and the HD I have was purchased just a couple months ago...it looks to me that the black cable would attach to the area in the red circle on my HD. Maybe your HD does or doesn't have the same connector:

View attachment 29261

HTH,

- Nick

Hey Nick. I'm not able to see your picture?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven been able to remove the artifacts and errors :D:p

Not 100% sure what's being said here due the spelling ("haven").

Are you saying you "have" or "haven't" removed the artifacts and errors?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Not 100% sure what's being said here due the spelling ("haven").

Are you saying you "have" or "haven't" removed the artifacts and errors?

- Nick

Haha it was supposed to be "have been"... :) You can see it on the Attached picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks fine on my end.:)

- Nick

I cannot click on it or anything. It is just plain text for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick. I'm not able to see your picture?

Are you saying you're seeing the photos in your posts...but not in my post?

If that's true...try checking your account settings "General Settings". There's an area that looks like this (screenshot below)...maybe the settings for this needs adjusting:

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 8.14.59 PM.png

- Nick

p.s. Hopefully you're able to see the screenshot in this post. Lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What computer/Browser are you trying to view Nick's picture in? It's fine here on my early 2008 old iMac using Chrome and Firefox.

Reaction score
Are you saying you're seeing the photos in your posts...but not in my post?

If that's true...try checking your account settings "General Settings". There's an area that looks like this (screenshot below)...maybe the settings for this needs adjusting:

View attachment 29262

- Nick

p.s. Hopefully you're able to see the screenshot in this post. Lol

Just tried changing that setting for me (UN-checking "Show Images") as a test. It shows a link to the image (IMG_1653.JPG in your case in post 43) and when I click on it, it opens your image in the same browser window/tab, so something else is going on in the OP's case.

OP
M
Reaction score
Just tried changing that setting for me (UN-checking "Show Images") as a test. It shows a link to the image (IMG_1653.JPG in your case in post 43) and when I click on it, it opens your image in the same browser window/tab, so something else is going on in the OP's case.

Well I'm greeted with a message saying that I do not have permission to view that page? But, I can see the screenshots now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Nice...thanks for performing that test.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Update!

I cleaned both iMacs a lot, but I will clean every single component in them as I receive my capacitors from my supplier. The second iMac with the 5 cap replacement really needs extreme cleaning as it is filthy to put it lightly. After inspecting the caps I could see on the older model that it was only the 5 x 1000uf 16v 105 caps that needed replacement. On the other board they were all 1800uf 6.3v 105 caps and there were 9 caps that needed replacement. I was actually thinking about buying a SSD for them both and replacing the aging HDD in these. However, I will buy the SSD's after replacing the caps on both. Also, I was thinking about cleaning and replacing the thermal paste on both machines - both CPU and GPU. I also inspected the battery, which I resume was a CR2032 (if I remember correctly). I will also replace both of these. :D:Blushing::app

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggested replacing the thermal paste earlier in the thread...always a good idea on an older computer. If these have integrated GPU's only...there may not be any heat sink to remove & replace the thermal paste. CPU's may have a removeable heatsink...and thermal paste that can be replaced (but I don't quite remember the iMac G5 logic board design).

As far as SSD's. I know small capacity SSD's are getting pretty inexpensive...but even these low capacity/low cost SSD's will probably come close to rivaling the total value of these iMac's.;) But I think it was mentioned that these iMac G5's were going to be gifted to some relatives...so sometimes cost is not reallty an issue.

My bigger concern is if these iMac G5's can be brought back to fully operational condition...that they will be really really slow on the internet. They just don't have the CPU & GPU (especially GPU) performance to deal with the complexity of the average 2019 webpage.

And of course since these iMac G5's are VERY limited as far as the max OS they can run (and associated security updates)...if there are any true security threats out there for Apple computers...these iMac G5's would be vulernable. Not saying "out of the gate" they will be immediately vulernable...but certainly more vulernable than a more current Mac running a more current OS version.

Good luck installing the new caps...and if you decide to do any GPU reflowing. Definitely keep us updated (successful or not).:)

- Nick

p.s. If it hasn't been done already...definitely give these iMac's a going blowing out with some compressed air...to remove all the dirt & fuzz that may have accumulated. Definitely want the cooling efficiency to be as good as possible. These G5's tend to run hot...and need all the cooling they can get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know if the OP knows about it or has been there, but there's probably some good info he can use from ther:
http://lowendmac.com/

Also, the info I think I mentioned previously:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Both sites encourage keeping old Macs alive and working.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
I suggested replacing the thermal paste earlier in the thread...always a good idea on an older computer. If these have integrated GPU's only...there may not be any heat sink to remove & replace the thermal paste. CPU's may have a removeable heatsink...and thermal paste that can be replaced (but I don't quite remember the iMac G5 logic board design).

As far as SSD's. I know small capacity SSD's are getting pretty inexpensive...but even these low capacity/low cost SSD's will probably come close to rivaling the total value of these iMac's.;) But I think it was mentioned that these iMac G5's were going to be gifted to some relatives...so sometimes cost is not reallty an issue.

My bigger concern is if these iMac G5's can be brought back to fully operational condition...that they will be really really slow on the internet. They just don't have the CPU & GPU (especially GPU) performance to deal with the complexity of the average 2019 webpage.

And of course since these iMac G5's are VERY limited as far as the max OS they can run (and associated security updates)...if there are any true security threats out there for Apple computers...these iMac G5's would be vulernable. Not saying "out of the gate" they will be immediately vulernable...but certainly more vulernable than a more current Mac running a more current OS version.

Good luck installing the new caps...and if you decide to do any GPU reflowing. Definitely keep us updated (successful or not).:)

- Nick

p.s. If it hasn't been done already...definitely give these iMac's a going blowing out with some compressed air...to remove all the dirt & fuzz that may have accumulated. Definitely want the cooling efficiency to be as good as possible. These G5's tend to run hot...and need all the cooling they can get.

Hi Nick. Thank you for your reply. I've been researching a bit and the highest OSX version for these Macs are Leopard. In regards to security threats on the internet there are TenFourFox, which is a fork of Firefox is available for older OSX :) These should be fully updated and should work fine. I was though looking at loading these macs with Linux, which should not be a problem :) Compressed air as in those automated bicycle pumps? Or did you mean those compressed air dusters in cans? My friend used one on my laptop some years ago and momentarily killing it for a while. He used it in the airflow duct.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been researching a bit and the highest OSX version for these Macs are Leopard.

That is correct...OS 10.5.8 (Leopard).

In regards to security threats on the internet there are TenFourFox, which is a fork of Firefox is available for older OSX :)

I'm not super familiar wth this...but from what I'm reading...this is alternative internet browser (which may give a better internet experience than other browsers on older Apple hardware). But not really a whole lot to do with security.

Or did you mean those compressed air dusters in cans? My friend used one on my laptop some years ago and momentarily killing it for a while. He used it in the airflow duct.

Yes compressed air in a can specifically meant for use with electronics. If someone uses canned air improperly...sure it can do damage (almost nothing is "idiot-proof")!;)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
That is correct...OS 10.5.8 (Leopard).

I'm not super familiar wth this...but from what I'm reading...this is alternative internet browser (which may give a better internet experience than other browsers on older Apple hardware). But not really a whole lot to do with security.

Yes compressed air in a can specifically meant for use with electronics. If someone uses canned air improperly...sure it can do damage (almost nothing is "idiot-proof")!;)

- Nick

It is an alternative browser, which is still supported by the Mozilla community and receives security patches ;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Update!

UPDATE

I have finally received all of my parts and I have started with the disassembly process. Everything is going fine and I am being very careful. However, I have this SATA power plug (perhaps), which is resisting to come off. I am not using force as I don't want to break it. Does anyone know how to get it unplugged properly without damaging anything please? It has already damaged to of my nails :( :)

IMG_20190216_135510-SMALL.jpg

IMG_20190216_135515-SMALL.jpg

IMG_20190216_135519-SMALL.jpg

IMG_20190216_135523-SMALL.jpg

Reaction score
Looks like there's a tab on top holding it in place. If you have already tried lifting that tab up while pulling back on the cable, perhaps try using a flathead screwdriver to lift the tab with more leverage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.