• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Illegal Music!?!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I've made a decision. I know that many of you (some kind of majority anyway) have at one time or another done some kind of illegal music downloading. I personally have not downloaded any music in this way in years, but I still have a drive full of mp3s from those days, totaling to about 500 or so songs.

I made a choice yesterday that I will now delete all of the music that I possess that I have not acquired through legal means. Sure, this will turn my library into about 50-100 songs, but so be it! It's time to come clean :bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Good for you. Kinda reminds me of a heroine addict going clean ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I personally prefer to have the actual albums on CD if it is an artist I like. I have many CD's that have only ever been used once to put the music on my Mac or PC. We use the PC for music at home and ipods when we're out - The CD's just sit there looking pretty, but it makes me feel better.

Nice analogy Kash, I like it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Im like you moss918 in the idea that i prefer to have the actual CDs. Normally I then just rip them to my mac/pc and then the CDs just sit there. I don't know why but I just find it nice to have something physical to show for my purchase!

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Ditto - I too like to have an actual CD to look at even though I have only ripped it to the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
Put 'em on some DVD's and send them to me.....

Ditto that. I am happy to take some of your music off of your shoulders if it is weighing you down.

I rarely download music anymore, partly because I have run out of ideas of what I want, so I just wait for new releases now, most of which I pass on but occasionally a good one comes along.

Note: This spell check in Safari is a real life saver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I agree. Having a physical disc in my hand always feels better when I buy an album lol. Problem is, the music I listen to is so hard to find on discs :eek:neye:

Here's an off-topic question..

Does anyone else other than me save their e-mailed iTunes receipts in its own folder? lol

Reaction score
Congratulations on clearing your guilty conscience! :black:

I have most of my favorites on CD. I only download when it's one or two songs I'm looking for, rather than a whole CD.

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a question, can I use music downloaded in iTunes or ripped from a cd in things like iMovie or Final Cut Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Here's a question, can I use music downloaded in iTunes or ripped from a cd in things like iMovie or Final Cut Pro?

I think you have to pay royalties if you make it public and make a profit
if its for a home movie i wouldnt worry about it :eek:

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't sell anything. But there will be no rights management problems associated with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 - little but full of spunk
I personally prefer to have the actual albums on CD if it is an artist I like. I have many CD's that have only ever been used once to put the music on my Mac or PC. We use the PC for music at home and ipods when we're out - The CD's just sit there looking pretty, but it makes me feel better.

Nice analogy Kash, I like it!

I agree with you. I've been debating about buying my albums through iTunes but just can't stand the thought of not owning the actual physical CD. They end up on my iPod but I feel at peace knowing they are collecting dust in a box in the corner if I ever have the need to pull them out. I guess it's a security blanket of sorts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Funny, I own all of the DVDs I have movies for. Hate having a movie I don't have the DVD for. I don't feel the same way about CDs though, I could care less if I own the CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
I've made a decision. I know that many of you (some kind of majority anyway) have at one time or another done some kind of illegal music downloading. I personally have not downloaded any music in this way in years, but I still have a drive full of mp3s from those days, totaling to about 500 or so songs.

I made a choice yesterday that I will now delete all of the music that I possess that I have not acquired through legal means. Sure, this will turn my library into about 50-100 songs, but so be it! It's time to come clean :bone:

I think, as a punishment for your sins, you should go out and buy every album that your 500 mp3s where ripped from. That should teach you a lesson (or 500!) ;) ;) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3|800Mhz|256MB Ram|ComboDrive|30GB HD|
I have a free and pretty much legal way. My local libraary has cds. If your rip them is that illegal?:bone:

OP
walmartconnect
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nearly two weeks now and I have spent approximately $45 on iTunes :)/:( . I feel much better although I run out of songs rather quickly when selecting random :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
My favorite method of getting music is buying the CD, ripping it, and selling it to the local Used CD seller. It's 100% legal and, since I generally like all songs on the CDs I buy, cheaper than going to iTunes. I'll pay maybe $15 for a CD with 15 tracks, and resell it for around $4 to the CD guys. They, in turn, sell the CD for $7, and the circle begins again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.