I cannot get to this site from my M1 MacBook Air.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If the other Safari and Chrome work normally on other sites I would be inclined to suspect it's the Mac-Forums site or host to blame.
I only have it on the word of some of our users that the problem has ceased if you are not in the US that might be a part of the issue.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You might like to clear Cookies although I'm not sure that will help or try deleting the web address for this site from both safari and Chrome.

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
You might like to clear Cookies although I'm not sure that will help or try deleting the web address for this site from both safari and Chrome.
Tried that. No joy. Thanks for trying. I am going away from the computer till late tomorrow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our site is operating normally. No other users are reporting a problem. And since you can reach us with your iPad, that says our site is okay.

It is strange, however, that your new M1 MBA has this problem but your iPad does not. You've turned off your firewall - which by the way it is not necessary to keep it on - as your router has a built in hardware firewall.

I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of the new M1 machines but you should check your security settings to make sure everything is normal.

Our site is fully secure. You can see the small lock which shows up as part of our URL which means our certificate is up to date. Has to be a problem on your end.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Hold the phone" It just took me 2min to load the Home page of this site and a further 3min to get to this thread. iPhone works fine, other sites on this browser take approx 2 secs. Definitely something wrong there.
I'll report it on the site bugs post. You might like to do the same.:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, no problem here. Site loads immediately using Safari or Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
This may be unrelated, but for the last few days I was unable to get to this site with Brave OR Safari.
This was the only site I noticed the problem with and only on this computer.
After much gnashing of teeth I noticed that my DNS's were different on this computer so I changed them.
Problem disappeared.
YMMV
Ken

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
This may be unrelated, but for the last few days I was unable to get to this site with Brave OR Safari.
This was the only site I noticed the problem with and only on this computer.
After much gnashing of teeth I noticed that my DNS's were different on this computer so I changed them.
Problem disappeared.
YMMV
Ken
Changed to what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changed to what?
Something different. Haha, sorry, couldn't resist.
I use this mostly:

It used to be called "Best DNS namebench"
Sometimes I just let my computer get it automatically and sometimes I just copy from another computer. Depends on how I feel,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Whoopie:

"Namebench" still shows the Google Public DNS addresses as the best to use from my location. I suggest you give them a try.

Do you know how to change your DNS addresses in Network Preferences? You can also change them in your Router if the Router firmware allows it. Some routers do, others don't.

Let us know.

OP
Whoopie
Reaction score
@Whoopie:

"Namebench" still shows the Google Public DNS addresses as the best to use from my location. I suggest you give them a try.

Do you know how to change your DNS addresses in Network Preferences? You can also change them in your Router if the Router firmware allows it. Some routers do, others don't.

Let us know.
That site does not work with Big Sur. But I do use Google DNS and others recommended as speedy buit this site still is slow as molasses on Chrome and not found by Safari.

A

Applescrumpy

That site does not work with Big Sur. But I do use Google DNS and others recommended as speedy buit this site still is slow as molasses on Chrome and not found by Safari.

It loads very very slowly for me using Safari in iOS 14.2 unless I use a VPN when all is OK. DNS issue maybe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since I changed my DNS I have had no problem....I find this site speedy with either Safari or Brave.
It is not a Google DNS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Whoopie, I don't this this will be any use to you at all, but you are welcome to it.

At this moment I’m using my router (192.168.2.1) to get the default DNS from my ISP
which gets me
Which I think would be a Bell Canada server. That's where I am located.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Whoopie:

The Primary DNS server and alternate you're showing are not Google. The third DNS server is Google but will not be used unless it's the Primary.

The last two servers you're showing are that of your ISP.

Google servers are: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if it was me I'd try deleting the first two at least so Google is top of the list.
If that down't work, delete Google and just use the ISP numbers.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Whoopie

1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are CloudFlare servers, just so you know :) Probably did know? ;)

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This post reminded me to check my DNS and low and behold I discovered that it had reverted to my ISP's DNS since upgrading to Big Sur, second on the list was the Telstra DNS provided by my new fibre optic router. So thanks for that. I too use CloudFlare (normally).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.