HP Printer notification

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
Hello all. On the iMac running macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 I have received a small notification window stating. "HPDiviceMonitoring.framework"will damage your computer" The printer I am using is an HP ENVY photo 7134. Apple state it is an issue for HP to sort out believing it requires a software update however looking online it appears to be a problem others are experiencing and when they have made changes it has resulted in a loss of printer/iMac connections and as the printer is working fine at present with both wifi and air drop connections I am loathed to make any changes but concerned re potential damage to the iMac. I have also picked up that this could be a problem with recent OS Mac updates and security updates that are identifying files such as this as being malware. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?
Many thanks
Stephen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, have you contacted HP support or at least went to their driver and support page?

Second, there is no way the HP Envy can damage your iMac and if the printer is working okay as is, I would leave well enough alone. In other words, do nothing and ignore the warning message.

If you're worried about malware getting on your iMac, then you should run a program that can find and remove any malware. We recommend DetectX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have received a small notification window stating. "HPDiviceMonitoring.framework"will damage your computer" The printer I am using is an HP ENVY photo 7134.

Have a read on a similar thread here:

They also suggest possible fix-it solutions.

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
First, have you contacted HP support or at least went to their driver and support page?

Second, there is no way the HP Envy can damage your iMac and if the printer is working okay as is, I would leave well enough alone. In other words, do nothing and ignore the warning message.

If you're worried about malware getting on your iMac, then you should run a program that can find and remove any malware. We recommend DetectX.

Hi chscag, thank you for your prompt reply. I did go to HP driver and support page but struggled a bit in finding something that looked appropriate and given my limited knowledge did not want to do anything that could make things worse. I tried to contact HP support by phone but they are not available over the weekend so I thought I would seek your thoughts on the issue and check if anyone else was having a similar problem before contacting them on a weekday. Your advice is much appreciated and reassuring.
Many thanks
Stephen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be prone to just trashing all the Installed HP printer stuff (or Reset Printer pref pane) and then follow the suggested solution here and do a reinstall following their procedure:
Solving HP Printing Error on Mac
Use HP Easy Admin for Mac OS

- Patrick
=======

OP
S

SRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be prone to just trashing all the Installed HP printer stuff (or Reset Printer pref pane) and then follow the suggested solution here and do a reinstall following their procedure:
Solving HP Printing Error on Mac
Use HP Easy Admin for Mac OS

- Patrick
=======
Again many thanks
Stephen

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick and @Stephen:

That solution will not work for users in the UK. It will only work for US - Canada according to the feedback from the site.

You can give it a try, but be aware.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can give it a try, but be aware.....

Shouldn't hurt to try... and maybe with some additional input according to one user:
LISA OCTOBER 24, 2020 AT 6:08 PM
Have just tried this but specified my location was in the US as opposed to UK. Seems to be working. Thanks very much.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick:

I tried the above solution for my HP LaserJet 1012 and because there are no updates available from HP it doesn't work.

I do have the latest Gutenprint driver for my HP but whenever I turn the HP on it insists on installing the Apple software (which contains the HP drivers that have the bad signature) and won't allow me to install the Gutenprint driver.

What a pain. Looks like my old HP might be going into retirement unless HP updates the driver or re-signs the certificate so Apple will not error it out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick:

Just a follow up on the HP problem that we are all (HP owners) having.

I solved my problem by doing this:

1. Removed all drivers and PPD entries regarding the HP LaserJet 1012. This requires super admin privileges to delete some of those entries. Also requires finding them first!

2. From System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, remove the HP.

3. Reboot to clear caches.

4. Now... Download the latest Gutenprint driver from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

5. The Gutenprint driver (GIMP driver) will automatically install to the proper folder under the System Library.

6. Open System Preferences, Printers and Scanners. Attach the HP via USB and turn it on. Press the plus button. The HP appears.

7. Dialog appears that drivers are available from Apple. Press the down arrow in that dialog and instead choose the Gutenprint driver. It will automatically install.

8. Do a test print from the HP. Success! No more nasty errors from Apple or HP.

9. Thanks to the guys who developed the GIMP drivers. Good job. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick:

Just a follow up on the HP problem that we are all (HP owners) having.

I solved my problem by doing this: ... ...

Congratulations and well done Charlie.

Did all the recent HP printer problems just start with a recent mac OS update???

And I guess at this point there is no chance of any wireless printing, But I guess you can get around that problem if need be???

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe the problem started with HP allowing their driver validation certificate to expire. The drivers that Apple supplies work very well and there appears to be no problem with them. This all falls back on HP not keeping up to date with its drivers.

I will never buy another HP product because of their dismal customer service. My LaserJet is old and is only for USB but it works great to do booklet mass printing and printing on indented 3 hole paper. Also, the toner cartridges for it are inexpensive. I'm not about to throw it away because HP is not updating drivers for it. Besides it still works great for Windows... Go figure. :)

My other two printers are wireless, so no problem with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Charlie, I'm in the same boat. Not buying another HP printer, ever. I now have two fairly expensive boat anchors and no way to print. The solution at the site recommended in the other thread didn't work and my printers are not where I can reasonably connect a USB so that is pretty much out. And even over wireless, I'm getting the same errors.

Maybe I'll move to Epson. Canon's are off my list since a few years ago I had one that could only manage to print 10 pages per ink refill and Canon said that was "normal." I need to do some research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Canon's are off my list since a few years ago I had one that could only manage to print 10 pages per ink refill and Canon said that was "normal." I need to do some research.

I don't know who it was that you spoke to at Canon, but that is absolute BS, at least according to the last Canon printers I have owned and used. I have never heard of such excessive ink consumption.

Unless however, they were somehow huge size pages with a heck of a lot of ink coverage!!!

I would say my current Canon MX922 AIO gets about 300 and maybe up to 500 pages from the XL ink cartridges I use. And I use third party cartridges that cost me about $26.00cdn/three sets of five XL cartridges. And they work well.

You may want to re-examine your decision and choice. ?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may want to re-examine your decision and choice.
Nope. I got that from the Canon Official repair facility where I took the printer. They checked it over and declared it was working as advertised. I asked about the excessive cleaning cycles that were burning through ink and the tech said that was how the system was designed to work.

Done. Not going back.

Glad it's working for you, though. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I gave up on Canon a few years ago. I had a PIXMA 990 that I started having problems with paper jams and other issues. Since I still had cartridges for it and the first one had worked pretty well, I bought a replacement that was the same model. It lasted no time before I started having issues. Got rid of the second one in favor of a Brother AIO.

I consistently had three problems with both Canons that I haven't had with the Brother AIO:
1. Setting up wireless network printing was a PITA with some of the worst directions I've ever seen.
2. Network printing g was unreliable. I would frequently have to restart the printer to get things working again.
3. The printer seemed to run an excessive number of cleaning cycles, wasting a lot of ink.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Epson Stylus NX 420 that I received for free from Apple (on a $100 rebate) when I purchased a 2013 iMac 27". It's been a great printer and still chugging along. The only problem I've ever had with it is when I use non Epson Ink cartridges. It will complain but finally gives in and uses them. A lot depends on the quality of the non Epson cartridges. Some work better than others.

But for some reason, it will not print on 3 hole paper. The paper tray does not properly recognize 3 hole paper which we use for booklets that we make. That's why I keep my HP LaserJet because it will print on just about anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hello everyone, I have used Canon printers for a great number of years but never on wireless (cannot figure it out) so I stick to a cable connection. Did once have an Epson but that went for a ball of chalk a couple of weeks out the guarantee-
so I went back to Canon and now have a TS8351 All in one. Very pleased with it but I have never had a bad one thank goodness. Many years ago had a punt at a Lexmark and I got rid of that because of very poor ink consumption and the expense of replacement ink cartridges. Compatibles were not really available then so it was refill your own, fingers and thumbs as well. The dam stuff used to climb all over me and I would end up wearing the horrible stuff.

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3. The printer seemed to run an excessive number of cleaning cycles, wasting a lot of ink.
That was exactly my problem, Sly. If I tried to print multiple pages, it would stop and clean between each page. That's what the tech said it was supposed to do. All that ink in the cleaning meant I could get about 10 pages (and 10 cleanings) out of a cartridge. Never again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just a note about that "feature" (Canon's seemingly poor attempt to keep the printhead clean) for those using one, I found the best way to reduce any cleaning cycles was to not turn off the printer.
Otherwise, It would go to a clean Cartridge cycle every time it was turned on. It still may do so if it has been idle for some time, but the ink I use is certainly cheap enough and it is certainly cheaper than trying to find and buy a replacement print head.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.