How Do I Reset My AirPort Extreme Password?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Thank you. I don't doubt what you are saying. However, I just did a speed test on each band (standing right next to the AirPort Extreme base station):

2.4GHz = 56.5 Mbps

5GHz = 154.2 Mbps

Seems like a big difference, even if the speed test has a margin of error.
Yep, In an optimum case (standing right next to the station), the 5Ghz will be faster, and by a lot. Now, take your phone across your house, with a couple of walls, or floors, or even go outside, and watch the speed drop off on both bands. 5Ghz will decline faster than 2.4Ghz, and will eventually fade out completely. As i said, shorter range, higher attenuation. If you never plan to leave the room with the router, 5Ghz is better. In real life, not so much. But it's still generally better to let the device negotiate which band to use.

Patrick brought up channels. You haven't said what your environment is, but on the 24Ghz band there are 11 channels. The general recommendation is to be at least 5 channels away from the next-nearest router to avoid interference and slowdowns. At the default channel 6, you may well have interference from every other router you can see that is also on the default. So, in a single case, as Patrick said, Apple may know best. But if your neighbors are also on channel 6, then all of you are interfering with each other and it may be better to move to 1 or 11 to get away from the folks on 6. You can use a WiFi analyzer to see what is your environment. Pick a channel that has the least likely signal interference.

Or take Patrick's advice and if the Mac is stationary and has an Ethernet port, use an Ethernet cable to connect directly and get even better speeds with no interference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
By Ethernet, you mean run a cable from the modem directly to the computer, correct?

Correct.
No need for any apology...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct.
No need for any apology...

- Patrick
=======
Not exactly. In most cases the cable goes from the AirPort to the computer. The setup in most cases is that the "modem" is the interface from the cable company or whoever provides your internet service, and should be connected to the Airport by a separate Ethernet cable. The AirPort is a router for your internal local network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, in a single case, as Patrick said, Apple may know best. But if your neighbors are also on channel 6, then all of you are interfering with each other and it may be better to move to 1 or 11 to get away from the folks on

You make some excellent points about channels Jake that would be good to pay attention to.

I just replied to the OP's basic question and didn't bother adding any details about various channels excetera...

And yes, I am an advocate for using wired ethernet wherever possible.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep, In an optimum case (standing right next to the station), the 5Ghz will be faster, and by a lot. Now, take your phone across your house, with a couple of walls, or floors, or even go outside, and watch the speed drop off on both bands. 5Ghz will decline faster than 2.4Ghz, and will eventually fade out completely. As i said, shorter range, higher attenuation. If you never plan to leave the room with the router, 5Ghz is better. In real life, not so much. But it's still generally better to let the device negotiate which band to use.

Patrick brought up channels. You haven't said what your environment is, but on the 24Ghz band there are 11 channels. The general recommendation is to be at least 5 channels away from the next-nearest router to avoid interference and slowdowns. At the default channel 6, you may well have interference from every other router you can see that is also on the default. So, in a single case, as Patrick said, Apple may know best. But if your neighbors are also on channel 6, then all of you are interfering with each other and it may be better to move to 1 or 11 to get away from the folks on 6. You can use a WiFi analyzer to see what is your environment. Pick a channel that has the least likely signal interference.

Or take Patrick's advice and if the Mac is stationary and has an Ethernet port, use an Ethernet cable to connect directly and get even better speeds with no interference.

Outstanding explanation. Thank you.

I'm in an apartment building situation. I am surrounded by the WiFi of my neighbors. If I get my confidence up, I may try to change the channel settings.

I have an Ethernet cable and thunderbolt port adapter. The cable is long enough to extend throughout my small apartment, but there is noticeable heat at the adaptor. I don't know if heat is a concern. (Only used the Ethernet cable on my 2017 MBP, not on my 2021 MBP.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not exactly. In most cases the cable goes from the AirPort to the computer. The setup in most cases is that the "modem" is the interface from the cable company or whoever provides your internet service, and should be connected to the Airport by a separate Ethernet cable. The AirPort is a router for your internal local network.

Thanks Jake, I sit corrected...
Let me fetch and don my dunce cap and my stool... ;-)

EDIT:
Gees, I am beginning to regret I mentioned trying out any ethernet to the OP with a recent M1 MacBook Pro as I had forgotten what a hassle it can be and how expensive it can be for some users, especially to get some decent speeds, unless Apple has recently corrected the situation.

Man, some of those fast ethernet adapters are on the extreme pricey side...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My wife uses an Ethernet adapter with her MBP (2015 model). Works great, not hot. I don't know about any others. When it comes to adapters, I try to stick with what Apple sells because they tend to work much better than third-party stuff. Yes, it costs more, but you get what you pay for.

I use an OWC hub for Ethernet. Connects to the M1 MBP by TB4 cable. The choke point in my network is the ISP, where I have 1Gbps service. It routinely tests out at above 900 Mbps.

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 1.19.44 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use an OWC hub for Ethernet. Connects to the M1 MBP by TB4 cable. The choke point in my network is the ISP, where I have 1Gbps service. It routinely tests out at above 900 Mbps.

Good Grief Jake, that is f a s t... I assume it doesn't break your bank...

That is also a lot faster than many commercial businesses manage to get, at least around this area... ;-)

Advertised but not necessarily realized...

We average around 84Mbps down which is more than fast enough for us in our retirement lifestyle. ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I don't need the down, but my wife and daughter have been doing Facebook videos, and the way Xfiinity/Comcast tiers the service, to get more than 5Gbps up, I had to step up to the 1Gbps down. It is nice, however, when it's time to update/upgrade our MBPs.

OP
M
Reaction score
Here's my groovy little adaptor. It was all they had at Best Buy. Guess I should have gotten this one instead.

Attachments

• Belkin Adaptor.jpg
    Belkin Adaptor.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Normally, Belkin makes good products. I'm surprised you say it's running hot. It is OK if it's just warm, but hot is not good for electronics.

OP
M
Reaction score
Normally, Belkin makes good products. I'm surprised you say it's running hot. It is OK if it's just warm, but hot is not good for electronics.

It seemed quite warm to me. I wasn't prepared for it. Is the Apple adaptor completely without heat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it's slightly warm to the touch when in the middle of a large transfer of data. But never hot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm surprised you say it's running hot. It is OK if it's just warm, but hot is not good for electronics.

Some users comments on the adapters:

And the chips need to be powered, but they must be pretty small:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thank you. I don't doubt what you are saying. However, I just did a speed test on each band (standing right next to the AirPort Extreme base station):

2.4GHz = 56.5 Mbps

5GHz = 154.2 Mbps

Seems like a big difference, even if the speed test has a margin of error.
Now test the extreme limit to see how the signal strengths differ. Move to another room and see the test speeds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eventually, if you keep moving away or put more "things" between you and the router the 5Ghz will disappear and only the 2.4 Ghz will work at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.