How Do I Reset My AirPort Extreme Password?

Reaction score
How Do I Reset My AirPort Extreme Password and the WiFi password?

Thanks. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Never mind. By some stroke of pure sh*th*use luck, I figured it out. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Never mind. By some stroke of pure sh*th*use luck, I figured it out. :D

Phew...!!! Now, write down what you did to fix your problem in case you need to check what you did the next time it happens.

One's memory is one of the first things to go as one ages and you might need the instructions later on in life, but don't ask me what any of the other things to go are as I cannot recall what they are now that I am over 80.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
@pm-r You are absolutely right. I write down everything. I have to. I'm old.

Question: How do I change the name of my WiFi network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
I already googled that. It changes the name of the base station, but not the WiFi network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already googled that. It changes the name of the base station, but not the WiFi network.

Then I'm guessing you change your Wi-Fi network name in your Sharing preference pane in your System Preferences.

I usually use and prefer to use Ethernet, at least when I am at home.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Then I'm guessing you change your Wi-Fi network name in your Sharing preference pane in your System Preferences.

I usually use and prefer to use Ethernet, at least when I am at home.

- Patrick
=======

Already tried that, my good amigo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
OK then, give it a try using your Airport Utility app.

That shoud be able to do everything you want:
change your Wi-Fi network name...

- Patrick
=======

Excellent. You are a champ.

One Last Question: I have a 5GHz network and a slower network coming off of my AirPort Extreme. I was able to change the name of the slower one, but I don't even see the 5GHz one. How do I delete the slower one and rename the 5GHz one?

Hope that makes sense.

EDIT: I think I have to go to System Preferences --> Networks --> Advanced. Just not sure what I will lose if I delete one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I delete the slower one and rename the 5GHz one?

I'm not sure but I shall contemplate your question tomorrow.
Maybe somebody more knowledgeable will reply before then.

I'm not even sure that the AirPort Extreme could even do dual-frequency.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Slower? What does that mean? Are you referring to the 2.4Ghz band? It's not really "slower" it's just a different frequency. It has greater range and penetrating power through walls. 5Ghz has slightly higher bandwidth, but shorter range and weaker signals. What is the objective here?

OP
M
Reaction score
Slower? What does that mean? Are you referring to the 2.4Ghz band? It's not really "slower" it's just a different frequency. It has greater range and penetrating power through walls. 5Ghz has slightly higher bandwidth, but shorter range and weaker signals. What is the objective here?

I believe you have nailed it. I can rename the 2.4GHz band, but I cannot even see where the name for the 5GHz is.

Separate Question: What does "5Ghz has slightly higher bandwidth" mean exactly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One Last Question: I have a 5GHz network and a slower network coming off of my AirPort Extreme. I was able to change the name of the slower one, but I don't even see the 5GHz one. How do I delete the slower one and rename the 5GHz one?

OK Mark, so here's the start of another day, and where was I???

Oh right, according to Apple, "Change the 5 GHz network name" directions:
Change the 5 GHz network name Click...
And maybe:

I haven't seen anything specific about changing the 2.4Ghz band name. I would assume it should be possible and maybe there is an edit button somewhere when it is selected. I don't have any Airport Extreme to look at or check.

Good luck with your mods.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
OK Mark, so here's the start of another day, and where was I???

Oh right, according to Apple, "Change the 5 GHz network name" directions:

I haven't seen anything specific about changing the 2.4Ghz band name. I would assume it should be possible and maybe there is an edit button somewhere when it is selected. I don't have any Airport Extreme to look at or check.

Good luck with your mods.

- Patrick
=======

It appears that once again you have hit the bullseye. Thank you. I don't know why I didn't see that last night.

What do the values 6 and 48 mean?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I believe you have nailed it. I can rename the 2.4GHz band, but I cannot even see where the name for the 5GHz is.

Separate Question: What does "5Ghz has slightly higher bandwidth" mean exactly?
The 5Ghz band, because it is at a higher frequency, can carry a bit more data in the same time. So, in that sense it is "faster" than the 2.4Ghz band. However, as I said, the range is shorter for 5Ghz than 2.4Ghz, and the 5Ghz signal is diminished much faster by walls, furniture, objects between the transmitter and receiver. But the 5 and 2.4 don't refer to data speed, just the frequency of the signals. Here is a reasonably good article on the differences:

In it, she says that 2.4Ghz can communicate up to 600 Mbps, while 5Ghz can get to 1300 Mbps. In real life, because of the signal attenuation, the practical difference is much less. Because 5Ghz is subject to signal strength issues, the messages have to be repeated more often, slowing the actual rate of data exchange. If you have a nice, clear, short path between to devices, 5Ghz is definitely faster, but put in a wall or two, maybe some furniture, or better yet, a TV or computer between the router and device and the difference is not so big in real life.

I used to name the two bands differently, but these days the devices are "smart" enough to band-switch to wherever the better data transmission is automatically, so I just have one name and let the devices negotiate which to use.

OP
M
Reaction score
The 5Ghz band, because it is at a higher frequency, can carry a bit more data in the same time. So, in that sense it is "faster" than the 2.4Ghz band. However, as I said, the range is shorter for 5Ghz than 2.4Ghz, and the 5Ghz signal is diminished much faster by walls, furniture, objects between the transmitter and receiver. But the 5 and 2.4 don't refer to data speed, just the frequency of the signals. Here is a reasonably good article on the differences:

In it, she says that 2.4Ghz can communicate up to 600 Mbps, while 5Ghz can get to 1300 Mbps. In real life, because of the signal attenuation, the practical difference is much less. Because 5Ghz is subject to signal strength issues, the messages have to be repeated more often, slowing the actual rate of data exchange. If you have a nice, clear, short path between to devices, 5Ghz is definitely faster, but put in a wall or two, maybe some furniture, or better yet, a TV or computer between the router and device and the difference is not so big in real life.

I used to name the two bands differently, but these days the devices are "smart" enough to band-switch to wherever the better data transmission is automatically, so I just have one name and let the devices negotiate which to use.

Thank you. I don't doubt what you are saying. However, I just did a speed test on each band (standing right next to the AirPort Extreme base station):

2.4GHz = 56.5 Mbps

5GHz = 154.2 Mbps

Seems like a big difference, even if the speed test has a margin of error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears that once again you have hit the bullseye. Thank you. I don't know why I didn't see that last night.
I am glad to read that you found a solution.

I was just about to post another source in case you needed it, so here it is anyway:

What do the values 6 and 48 mean?
They refer to the channel each frequency is set to use.

I believe the Airport Extreme will choose the best one automatically, but they can be changed if you find a reason to do so. Basically to avoid interference etc. if it is ever needed.

For now I would suggest leaving them where they are set to. In this case Apple probably does know best. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems like a big difference, even if the speed test has a margin of error.

You might be interested and want to try setting things up and using your Ethernet and run the speed test again.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with even faster speeds and might want to consider using the Ethernet instead of wi-fi if you can.

Just a thought... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
You might be interested and want to try setting things up and using your Ethernet and run the speed test again.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with even faster speeds and might want to consider using the Ethernet instead of wi-fi if you can.

Just a thought... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

By Ethernet, you mean run a cable from the modem directly to the computer, correct?

Sorry to be so utterly ignorant. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.