How can I get Music/iTunes into the Cloud

Reaction score
I need to transfer my music library from my old 17" MacBook to my new 13" MacBook. I can access my Music in iTunes on my old machine but not on the new. Neither (iTunes/Music) are shown in the Internet Accounts (iCloud) in System Preferences. iTunes is shown in "My Passport for Mac. Any ideas on how to do this? I tried doing it overnight but just get the spinning wheel and note that Music was "Downloading." However nothing came through. I was able to download my Photos but it shows in the Cloud. How can I get Music/iTunes in the Cloud? I hope I haven't muddied the waters to where you can't understand what I'm trying to say. Another question... would it be possible to download over 2,500 song to a jump drive and do it that way?

Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm trying to remember where iTunes stored the music, but I think it was in a folder in your Home folder (The one with the little house icon in Finder in the Sidebar.) Or maybe in a folder in your Documents folder. In any case, on the old system, you should be able to locate where the music is stored and copy the folder to an external drive, then move the drive to your new system and import them into Music. I don't use Music, but I do have a lot of tracks that were in iTunes at one point. They don't sync through iCloud, as far as I know, but you definitely can import them to Music, once you find them on the old system.

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember where iTunes stored the music, but I think it was in a folder in your Home folder (The one with the little house icon in Finder in the Sidebar.) Or maybe in a folder in your Documents folder. In any case, on the old system, you should be able to locate where the music is stored and copy the folder to an external drive, then move the drive to your new system and import them into Music. I don't use Music, but I do have a lot of tracks that were in iTunes at one point. They don't sync through iCloud, as far as I know, but you definitely can import them to Music, once you find them on the old system.

So... is a jump drive considered an "external drive?" (I have said before that I am computer illiterate.)

Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lola, I have been associated your term "jump drive" with a small memory stick with a USB connector about the size of your thumb. Sometimes called a thumb drive, or memory stick, or USB Flash drive. Jump drive was a term used a few years ago, I seem to remember. And I just checked on Amazon and the search term "jump drive" returns USB Flash drives. So if that is what you have, then yes, it's an external drive. By definition, any storage device attached to the Mac, but external to it is an "external drive." It mounts to the system when you put it in the USB port and you can read from it or write to it. If you want to call it "jump drive" that will work, but a more common term today is either thumb drive or USB stick or flash drive. But terms shift around so there is no need to obsess over it. And assuming it has sufficient storage on it, you can copy your music from one machine to the flash drive, then move the flash drive to the new machine and read it in. The one challenge is that newer Macs don't have the same USB connector, so you'll need an adapter than your flash drive can fit into that then fits to the new machine. Or, if it already fits the new machine, an adapter that will let it fit in the old one.

OP
O
Reaction score
Lola, I have been associated your term "jump drive" with a small memory stick with a USB connector about the size of your thumb. Sometimes called a thumb drive, or memory stick, or USB Flash drive. Jump drive was a term used a few years ago, I seem to remember. And I just checked on Amazon and the search term "jump drive" returns USB Flash drives. So if that is what you have, then yes, it's an external drive. By definition, any storage device attached to the Mac, but external to it is an "external drive." It mounts to the system when you put it in the USB port and you can read from it or write to it. If you want to call it "jump drive" that will work, but a more common term today is either thumb drive or USB stick or flash drive. But terms shift around so there is no need to obsess over it. And assuming it has sufficient storage on it, you can copy your music from one machine to the flash drive, then move the flash drive to the new machine and read it in. The one challenge is that newer Macs don't have the same USB connector, so you'll need an adapter than your flash drive can fit into that then fits to the new machine. Or, if it already fits the new machine, an adapter that will let it fit in the old one.

OK.. I'll try to get my terminology updated to flash drive. Thanks, I'm sure that is what I have, Lexar brand with 32G.. ..storage, I presume. Now, if I understand what you wrote, I can copy my music from the 17" (old) and "play" it on my 13"(new). Or do you mean that I can transfer the music from the flash drive to my 13"? If not, will I be able to make music cd's from the flash drive? I have over 2,500 songs. Will the 32G hold them or can I buy larger capacity?

Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
You might look into a program called iMazing. Might solve your problem. Ive used it because Catalina screws everything up.

OP
O
Reaction score
You might look into a program called iMazing. Might solve your problem. Ive used it because Catalina screws everything up.

OK, do I purchase iMazing from the Apple store and does it come with easy to follow instructions? I have Big Sur, is Catalina an update I need and if so should it be installed before I do anything else? Thanks for your help.

Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had iMazing and got rid of it. I don't think it will help in what we are trying to do, but if exncite has specific directions for you it might work.

What I would do is use Spotlight to find any one of the tracks. Search for "mp3" and when you see any of the music show up, hold down option and the path will shoe up at the bottom of the window. Where one is, the rest will be close. Albums are in separate folders, but all those albums are in one place.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Granny,

Why purchase iMazing? It's a great app, but is it what you want? That will not get your Music on to iCloud.

And you have been mislead or misunderstood. Catalina is NOT an upgrade. It is the version below Big Sur. So forget that.

You said from the start:

How can I get Music/iTunes in the Cloud?

You have to identify where your previous iTunes - now "Music" is located.

So question one: do you have the Music app in your Dock. If Yes, click on that.

If no, go into Finder > Applications. Scroll down. Is Music there? If so, Click on that.

Open Music by either method. Now click on the Music icon in the Top Menu Bar. From the dropdown menu, click on Preferences (second one down).

You will see this:

S1.jpg

Check that Library - Sync Library is checked. Most of the others should be checked too.

Now Click on Files (General-Playback-Files). You will see this:

S2.png

Tick the boxes I've ticked.

That should do it. Post back any problems or anything you don't understand.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How many user accounts are on the new MBP? Maybe they were imported into a different account?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Guys lets take a step back for a second. As I read things I think the objective is to get Lola's music moved from one Mac to another. That can be done without using iCloud,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right on, Sly. She just needs to find them, copy to the flash drive, move to the new system and import them to Music. That's why I gave her the Spotlight suggestion in post #8. Once she finds one track, the others will be in the same set of folders and using Command with Spotlight will identify that path for her.

OP
O
Reaction score
Right on, Sly. She just needs to find them, copy to the flash drive, move to the new system and import them to Music. That's why I gave her the Spotlight suggestion in post #8. Once she finds one track, the others will be in the same set of folders and using Command with Spotlight will identify that path for her.

OK, I took the day off yesterday... may have been a mistake because I'm more confused than I was. I found the list of my music on the old Mac. Help me again on what to do to get it copied on the flash drive and then to my new Mac.

Thanks, Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you find the folder where the music is stored? I don't know what you mean by "I found the list of my music."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe you can try to share the files using file sharing built into macOS?

OP
O
Reaction score
Did you find the folder where the music is stored? I don't know what you mean by "I found the list of my music."

It's a complete list of all of my songs... it's not in a folder. I'm a bit washed out today because while I was trying to deal with this, my hubby kept interrupting me wanting more information for filing our income taxes, so I gave up. (Sorry to wash our dirty laundry here.) If I need to find a folder I will need to try again.........tomorrow. Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, when you get to it, a quick way to find where the music may be on the old machine is to open Finder, then in the upper right corner is a search window with a spyglass in it. Click on the spyglass and in the resulting space, type "mp3" and the finder window will fill with files with "mp3" in the name. Once you have the main window populated, you can see where these files are located either by right clicking on them and then picking "Show in Enclosing Folder," or, if you have Finder set up for it, the path to the file may show on the bottom line of the Finder window. Once you find one, use Finder to navigate there and then back up one to see if all your albums are listed. Here is what I get when I go to the right location. All are ordered by artist in this screenshot:
Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 8.16.20 PM.png

If you get to the same place, and if all your stuff is there, just copy it all to the Flash drive, then take the flash drive to the new system and open Music, then Import the tunes from the Flash Drive.

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok, when you get to it, a quick way to find where the music may be on the old machine is to open Finder, then in the upper right corner is a search window with a spyglass in it. Click on the spyglass and in the resulting space, type "mp3" and the finder window will fill with files with "mp3" in the name. Once you have the main window populated, you can see where these files are located either by right clicking on them and then picking "Show in Enclosing Folder," or, if you have Finder set up for it, the path to the file may show on the bottom line of the Finder window. Once you find one, use Finder to navigate there and then back up one to see if all your albums are listed. Here is what I get when I go to the right location. All are ordered by artist in this screenshot:
View attachment 33510

If you get to the same place, and if all your stuff is there, just copy it all to the Flash drive, then take the flash drive to the new system and open Music, then Import the tunes from the Flash Drive.

OK... so when I find the folder with the music do I drag it to the Flash drive or will instructions pop up? Same for importing to my new Mac? I'm getting a headache.......... Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

OP
O
Reaction score
OK... so when I find the folder with the music do I drag it to the Flash drive or will instructions pop up? Same for importing to my new Mac? I'm getting a headache.......... Thanks,

Old Granny Lola

I found the "Music folder" and it is copied to the flash drive. I don't want to mess this up so, please in baby steps explain how I should import the music to my new machine. When I copied the music to the flash drive, I merely dragged the folder to the icon of the drive. Is it simply a matter of dragging the Lexar icon to my music icon in the dock or do I need to find it on my hard drive? Phew..... I think we're almost there....right?? And thank you all for your help. I would be lost without you. There was another forum similar to this but it suddenly shut down. Sad but I was glad to find you all.

Thanks a bunch,
Old Granny Lola

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Insert the flash drive into the "new" computer then try the following.

1. Open Music and look in Preferences.
2. Check your settings and set them to match the checkboxes on this screen then click OK to close the box.
1614105423666.png
3. Open the flash drive and drag your songs onto the Music program icon in the Dock. It may take several minutes for the songs to import.

If step 3 does not work, which happens sometimes, choose Import from the File menu in Music and import the files that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.