High Sierra - Corrupt Image

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been trying to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini to High Sierra. I've downloaded the OS DMG file three times. Each time I try to install, i'm getting an error along the lines of "this disk image can't be opened.... reason: corrupt image".

I'm downloading direclty from the Apple site.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Let's start by telling us what exact version of OS X you are currently running. Also, how exactly are you downloading the installer?

Below is the link to Apple's support page for downloading and installing High Sierra. The download link on this page will open up the Mac App Store and make sure you are getting the right installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've been trying to upgrade my 2012 Mac Mini to High Sierra. I've downloaded the OS DMG file three times. Each time I try to install, i'm getting an error along the lines of "this disk image can't be opened.... reason: corrupt image".

It seems that this and similar problems have been going on for quite some time now,

Try a Google search and see if anything seems familiar and if any of the suggestions will help:
High Sierra - Corrupt Image

But, maybe just try Lifeisabeach's Suggestions above first.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm confused because the official installer from Apple was a executable, not a disk image. It was an application, so what is this dmg Che_Guitarra is trying to download/open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm confused because the official installer from Apple was a executable, not a disk image.

Good catch Jake.
The Sierra installer I have that I saved in my install folder is shown as an application.
Maybe they downloaded the "Combo Update" that does seem to arrive as a .DMG file???

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi guys. I got it sorted in the end. Searching the app store for High Sierra - nothing came up. So I thought the downloads you can find via the Apple site must be the correct path. Nope.

You've got to download via the App Store, but you won't find High Sierra by looking for it there. I found it by clicking on a link (can't remember where - possible via the Apple discussion board), and it directed me to the High Sierra download page at the App Store.

So High Sierra is on the App Store. IT just doesn't show up when you search for it, which is very counter intuitive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So High Sierra is on the App Store. IT just doesn't show up when you search for it, which is very counter intuitive.

This is so bizarre, and the way Apple does some things defies all logic in my brain.

Sure enough, I tried using the App Store search for "High Sierra" and "macOS High Sierra" and apparently no such thing exists!!!

It seems one has to use a Google search for "high sierra download" in order to find how to get to an Apple download support page, ie:
How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra

And guess what it says there...???
If you still need macOS High Sierra, use this App Store link: Get macOS High Sierra.

And yup, that link takes you to... Are you ready...??? The Apple store...!!!

I really wonder who at Apple runs their Logical Brain Thinking Department...

Who would have guessed???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or, you could always try Apple.com, click on Support and the resulting search page, enter "High Sierra" and follow the results to the file to download HS. No need for Google at all. As usual, Apple provides very clear directions, if you just look for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As usual, Apple provides very clear directions, if you just look for them.

Gee Jake, if I do dare say so, your reply is something that might come from a super Apple fanboy.

I would think that the average user, like the OP would expect to see an upgrade path In the built-in Software Update
or at least via the App Store. That would be more logical than searching through their Support site, but at least it seems it is available from there. Who would have guessed...??? :D ;-)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gee Jake, if I do dare say so..
Patrick, you posted a longish screed about how terrible Apple is, as is typical for you. I just wanted Apple to get *some* credit for actually making it fairly easy to get that old version of the operating system. I find the support page at Apple to be a fantastic resource, and it is the first place I go when I have a question or am looking for something. If that makes me a fanboy, I'll wear the title proudly.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is really unacceptable behavior on Apple's part. Removing the previous macOS on release of a new one was bad enough, understandable perhaps but still unnecessary. It made it very difficult for people who upgraded then decided they didn't like or couldnt use the new macOS. In the past it used to be just a matter of waiting a few weeks and the previous macOS installer would return but not any more. Removing previously downloaded OS installers from the Purchased page was also annoying but to hide them it in such a way as to require a third party search engine to locate the link is plain ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
This is really unacceptable behavior on Apple's part. Removing the previous macOS on release of a new one was bad enough, understandable perhaps but still unnecessary.
Does Microsoft/Google/Android leave previous OS versions in their stores?

Apple doesn't remove the OS, just makes it non searchable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or, you could always try Apple.com, click on Support and the resulting search page, enter "High Sierra" and follow the results to the file to download HS. No need for Google at all. As usual, Apple provides very clear directions, if you just look for them.

I use Google (well DuckDuckGo actually) to find the Apple Support page for stuff like this. :LOL:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LIAB, just curious, why interpose a search engine in the process? If you go to Apple.com, click on the Support tab on the top bar of the site, you get a search capability to find any and all items on Apple.com. No need to go to DDG. I have the support page at apple on my bookmarks bar, making it even easier to get to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to hide them it in such a way as to require a third party search engine to locate the link is plain ridiculous.
But you DO NOT have to use a third party search engine. Just go to Apple.com, use their support page and search for "Install <<whatever>>" and you get not only the file, but the directions for how to do it safely. As I said, Apple really does make it easy. It's just that we make it hard ourselves because we start with some third party who doesn't know as much about it as Apple and who throws in a lot of extraneous material that makes it harder to find. And as for removing it from Purchased, I recall having to explain to several people here who questioned why it was on the Purchased page when they had not purchased it because it was free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LIAB, just curious, why interpose a search engine in the process? If you go to Apple.com, click on the Support tab on the top bar of the site, you get a search capability to find any and all items on Apple.com. No need to go to DDG. I have the support page at apple on my bookmarks bar, making it even easier to get to.

I was slightly clowning around with my comment. But what happens is I use the search engine to find a solution, and the Apple support articles just happen to be among the hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, ok. Although you can still save some effort by starting the search at Apple Support, then if you can't find it there, do the search engine thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, ok. Although you can still save some effort by starting the search at Apple Support, then if you can't find it there, do the search engine thing.

Honestly, it's faster my way. I do it straight from my browser's URL box and can parse the search results visually for what look like the most promising results, which aren't always from Apple. If I was to start with Apple's Support articles, I'd either have to use the search engine to find their support search page, manually go to Apple's site and fumble around looking for it, or keep it bookmarked; then enter my search terms. In the time it would take me to access a bookmark and load the site, I'd have my results already by simply using the search engine from my browser..

Of course, as an experienced user and troubleshooter, I also have a better feel for what results look the most promising.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's different strokes..., but I put this link in my bookmarks bar: https://support.apple.com

One click, I'm at the Apple site, type in the search terms. Done. No search scat to pick through to get what I want or need. You don't need to use a search engine to find the Apple support page, that's an extra and unneeded step.

But hey, if that is how you want to do it, fine. Works either way, I guess. I haven't been to Google in years, so maybe it's gotten better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's different strokes..., but I put this link in my bookmarks bar: https://support.apple.com

One click, I'm at the Apple site, type in the search terms. Done. No search scat to pick through to get what I want or need. You don't need to use a search engine to find the Apple support page, that's an extra and unneeded step.

But hey, if that is how you want to do it, fine. Works either way, I guess. I haven't been to Google in years, so maybe it's gotten better?

Oh absolutely... do and use what works for one's self. I don't use Google unless I'm having a lot of trouble finding what I need. I used to use Startpage, which uses Google as their search engine but is privacy minded. I switched to DuckDuckGo a year or so ago after finding they've gotten good enough to use regularly. If you haven't used them lately, definitely give it a whirl.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.