Help with picking a system, Macbook Pro vs. iMac

Reaction score
Last month I got frustrated with my Win10 gaming rig, it needed a clean install of Win10 for the nth time. Since I don't game anymore I drug out my wife's late 2012 Mac Mini which hadn't been turned on in over 4 years. It worked fine and I upgraded the RAM to 16GB, the OS to Catalina, and put in a 1TB SSD, which I now regret since I'm going to get a new system. The mini does the basics for me but the Intel 4000 graphics are lacking, I can't drive my monitors at max res.

I'm debating between 2 systems which are close in price. I used to travel for a living (Pilot) but now I'm retired and rarely leave the house (especially with recent events!). I don't really need a laptop, would probably only take it out of the house a few times per year. The iMac would be fine but the laptop has superior specs for just $100 more. I'm good on monitors, have several spare ones. I have a 32" ultra wide gaming monitor that does 38XX by 22XX or similar (it's currently hooked up to the Win10 rig since the Mini doesn't support it well). And I have an older 28" 4K Samsung which I'm using right now along with a 23" Lenovo. With the MacBook I'd probably bring the 32" back over and use the 4K as 2nd monitor.

The MacBook Pro (Model:MV912LL/A) is 15.4" with Intel i9, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and Radeon Pro 560X/4GB.

The 27" iMac (Model:MRR12LL/A) is i5 @3.7ghz, 8GB RAM (I could upgrade to 16 for $79), 2TB Fusion Hybrid Drive, and Radeon Pro 580X/8GB.

I'm not too worried about the video since I can always do a clean install (again!) on my Win10 i7 with Nvidia 2080 GPU if I want to game.

The MacBook is on sale with $400 off for $2399; the iMac is regular price at $2299

Placing the MacBook on my desk would be challenging since I'd be keeping 2 external monitors, plus external keyboard and mouse. I do like that it has a fingerprint sensor, I miss having that since I can't find one that's Mac compatible. I also don't have a webcam that'll work with Mac, both of these systems have them thou but if the MacBook is off to the side that may not work well. I can always get a vertical docking station for around $150 but would cost me use of the fingerprint sensor and webcam.

So the question is is the MacBook Pro worth the extra $100. The big difference (I assume) is having an i9 vs. i5 CPU. Also I prefer the 500GB SSD over the larger Hybrid drive. To my surprise I'm currently only using 125GB of my 1TB SSD. I have a Seagate 8TB external hooked up for anything that doesn't need to be on the SSD.

As for the memory maybe I'm still thinking in Win10 terms but 16GB seems a lot preferable to 8GB.

Both these systems are available at local BestBuy stores (curbside pickup only, not letting anyone in the store).

Would appreciate any thoughts you experienced Mac user have about this.

TIA
AirBear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Simple.

Portability MBP.

Office use iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The iMac would be fine but the laptop has superior specs for just $100 more.

As you can see...you (almost always) get more "bang for your buck" with a desktop model.:)

As far as iMac or MacBook Pro...you really need to assess your portability needs (which only you can do). For me...if I could ONLY have one computer...it would be a portable Apple model (MacBook Pro in this case). If I could have two...then it would be the MacBook Pro first...and the iMac 2nd.

If you purchase a desktop computer...then (mostly) you're always stuck in the same room in your house...at the same desk...sitting in the same chair. With a laptop/portable computer...you can move from room to room whenever you want (and outside the house as well). Go out onto your front porch or rear deck without having to "plug-in"...head out to Starbuck's...or any of the other zillions of locations with free wifi.

I know you know this...just restating things for conversational clarity.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The big difference (I assume) is having an i9 vs. i5 CPU.
The bigger difference is you can take the MBP with you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The big difference (I assume) is having an i9 vs. i5 CPU.

Don't always assume this. If (for example) the i5 based system had more CPU cores than the i9 based system...the i9 system may be faster on a per-CPU-core basis...but the i5 based system (with more cores)...may be faster overall.

Best thing to do is check CPU benchmarks for each model...which is very easy to do at Everymac:

Mac Specs, Prices, Answers and Comparison: EveryMac.com, Est. 1996

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
would a late 2012 Mac Mini be able to drive an external GPU?

Just wondering as if it can then it could be a third option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
would a late 2012 Mac Mini be able to drive an external GPU?

Just wondering as if it can then it could be a third option.

Probably not.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Worth pointing out is that the iMac is currently a year old. I have the 2019 model myself, purchased very shortly after it came out, and am quite satisfied with it. But if I was shopping right now, well normally I might try to hold off until the next update since it should be due in the next 6-12 months, but these are not normal times.

Something you COULD consider? Get a refurbished 2019 iMac to save some money and then also get a new or refurbished 2020 MacBook Air.

OP
A
Reaction score
I had wanted to wait for new models to come out but there's no telling how long that will be with all the disruptions. I had just about decided on the basic $1799 iMac and then today BestBuy is running a huge sale on 15" MacBook Pros. Some higher end models are discounted $1500 ($4149 to $2649) and the one I was looking at went down $100 to $2299. Took a good look at my desktop space and I think I can accommodate a laptop without too much trouble. Even thou I don't go out of town much anymore it would be nice to take my main computer with me instead of having to sync up my 5yr old Win10 laptop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took a good look at my desktop space and I think I can accommodate a laptop without too much trouble. Even thou I don't go out of town much anymore it would be nice to take my main computer with me instead of having to sync up my 5yr old Win10 laptop.

Where does this leave you at the moment? In your previous post it sounded like you decided on an iMac...but with the BestBuy sale info...sounds like you're leaning towards the MacBook Pro.

Honestly...don't let the price-tag dictate if you get an iMac or MacBook Pro. As you know...these two computers have SERIOUS portability & usability differences. Between these two computers...better to decide based on useability/portability.

If we were deciding between two different iMac's...or 2 different MacBook Pro's...then price could be a good way to decide between them. But when deciding between a desktop computer...really better to decide on your usabilty/portability needs.

Either way you're going to come out on top (desktop or laptop)!:)

- Nick

krs

Reaction score
Since AirBear has two large monitors already, would it not make sense to buy the MacBook Pro and set it up as a desktop?

That way you get the best of both worlds -
A desktop with a full keyboard and a mouse and a large screen, and
a laptop for portability

OP
A
Reaction score
Nick, I love a good deal, hate paying sticker price for tech items so I think I let the sale influence me too much. I would only use the laptop as a laptop a few times per year, and I have that Win10 laptop I mentioned above. What talked me off the ledge this time was looking at benchmarks for the i9 MacBook Pro vs. the basic 27" iMac and the faster 3.7ghz iMac. Here's what I found on Geekbench Browser:

MacBook Pro, i9 2.9mhz single/multi-core: 1051/5107

27" iMac i5, 3.7mhz single/multi-core: 1135/5404

27" iMac i5, 3.0mhz, single/multi-core: 1015/4865

So the i9 doesn't do a whole lot more and I doubt I'd see much difference between the basic $1799 iMac. What I like more is the 32GB of memory and 1TB SSD vs. 8GB and 1TB Hybrid on the basic iMac. Correct me if wrong but I think memory is easily upgradable on the 27" iMacs. Even with the $1500 off on the MacBook it'd run me $849 more than the basic iMac. And I don't think the SSD over Hybrid is worth $849.

Also, I think that MacBook is a 2018 model vs. 2019 for the iMacs, but I'm not 100% sure. That might account for the specs.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Sounds like the MacBook Pro is the 2018 model - but the year vs the iMac wouldn't bother me.
One year older or younger makes little difference on a Mac I find as compared to a PC running Windows. The biggest issue is when Apple cuts you off with macOS updates where a year may make a difference.

I would definitely not get a MacBook Pro with a butterfly keyboard - my son bought a new top-of-the-line MacBook Pro not too long ago and had the keyboard replaced once already. Under warranty mind you, but it's still a pain. And one just gets another butterfly keyboard as the replacement.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I found on Geekbench Browser:

So the i9 doesn't do a whole lot more and I doubt I'd see much difference between the basic $1799 iMac.

These numbers don't look quite right to me. If I have the models identified correctly...here are the Geekbench 4 numbers I'm seeing:

- 2018 15" MacBook Pro i9 2.9 = 22,421
- 2019 27" iMac i5, 3.7mhz = 22,664
- 2019 27" iMac i5, 3.0mhz = 20,649

The numbers still show a similar trend.

Correct me if wrong but I think memory is easily upgradable on the 27" iMacs.

You got it exactly. With the 27" iMac's...the RAM is user upgradeable. And RAM you purchase & install will very likely be significantly less expensive. Purchase the 27" iMac with as little RAM as possible...and upgrade later when ready.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I love a good deal, hate paying sticker price for tech items so I think I let the sale influence me too much. I would only use the laptop as a laptop a few times per year, and I have that Win10 laptop I mentioned above. What talked me off the ledge this time was looking at benchmarks for the i9 MacBook Pro vs. the basic 27" iMac and the faster 3.7ghz iMac. Here's what I found on Geekbench Browser:

So the i9 doesn't do a whole lot more and I doubt I'd see much difference between the basic $1799 iMac. What I like more is the 32GB of memory and 1TB SSD vs. 8GB and 1TB Hybrid on the basic iMac. Correct me if wrong but I think memory is easily upgradable on the 27" iMacs. Even with the $1500 off on the MacBook it'd run me $849 more than the basic iMac. And I don't think the SSD over Hybrid is worth $849.

Also, I think that MacBook is a 2018 model vs. 2019 for the iMacs, but I'm not 100% sure. That might account for the specs.

The RAM is quite easily upgraded on the 27" iMacs. I ordered mine with the minimum, then replaced the existing modules with a new set of modules to get 16 GB for less money overall from OWC.

As for the benchmarks, you also need to consider what you are using the Mac for. If your software can't even take advantage of those extra cores and faster processor, then it may not be worth getting the i9 over the i7 or i5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had wanted to wait for new models to come out but there's no telling how long that will be with all the disruptions. I had just about decided on the basic $1799 iMac and then today BestBuy is running a huge sale on 15" MacBook Pros. Some higher end models are discounted $1500 ($4149 to $2649) and the one I was looking at went down $100 to $2299. Took a good look at my desktop space and I think I can accommodate a laptop without too much trouble. Even thou I don't go out of town much anymore it would be nice to take my main computer with me instead of having to sync up my 5yr old Win10 laptop.

If it's a 15" MacBook Pro, then it's the last gen model with the butterfly keyboard. Trust me, you do NOT want that keyboard! Some people are ok with it, but it's more loathed than loved. Apple revised it 3 times before giving up and going back to the scissor style in the current models of the MBP and MBA. It's horribly unreliable and even though Apple has extended the warranty for this particular keyboard, it's still not a good long-term usage option. Unless you just need the deal of a lifetime and are willing to live with a horrible usability experience, just don't get it.

OP
A
Reaction score
If it's a 15" MacBook Pro, then it's the last gen model with the butterfly keyboard. Trust me, you do NOT want that keyboard! Some people are ok with it, but it's more loathed than loved. Apple revised it 3 times before giving up and going back to the scissor style in the current models of the MBP and MBA. It's horribly unreliable and even though Apple has extended the warranty for this particular keyboard, it's still not a good long-term usage option. Unless you just need the deal of a lifetime and are willing to live with a horrible usability experience, just don't get it.

Thanks again for the tips and info, this has been very helpful. I really don't need a laptop since I stay at home 99% of the time and the specs on the MBP aren't that much better than either iMac. And the iMac fits my desk with a lot less hassle and a lot less adapter cables. Now it's just going to be deciding between the 3.0Ghz and 3.7Ghz systems. The 580X GPU falls between the NVidia 2060 and 2070 so I'd have the option to do some gaming if I didn't want to use my Win10 rig. But at $500 more not sure it's worth it or if I'd even use it for gaming. I may delay and see if the iMac's go on sale, the Mac Mini is adequate for right now. I think part of it is I'm just bored from being on lock down and want some new toys to play with.

A couple of posters mentioned refurbs, I have looked at them but don't see any deals there. I have an Experimax store not far away and looked at what they have plus some online places.

krs

Reaction score
Have you considered a 2018 Mac Mini?
It should be more than adequate to drive your existing displays and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than your other options.
May not be great for games - all depends which games you want to play.

Asfar as the Mini is concerned- are there any rumours about a newer version on the horizon?
That may be another option if you don't need to get a new Mac right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.