Help with Installing a Clean Version of Mac OS

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Is the device you have updated a spinning disk HDD? If so and you have updated to Monterey it's filing system will have been updated from HFS+ to APFS which does not work as well (fast) on the old HDD's as it is primarily designed for SSD's.
As well as that it's likely that the device is working hard to sync data from iCloud as well as initialise Spotlight and so on. It's not unusual for a new macOS to take a little while to settle after erasing and reinstalling a new macOS.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
There is no HDDs in any of my computers. I am using a 500GB SSD in both computers.
I did sign in with my Apple ID so maybe it is still syncing. I’m a windows guy and when I upgrade from an HDD to an SSD it’s always noticeably faster immediately regardless of which processor it has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... and you have updated to Monterey it's filing system will have been updated from HFS+ to APFS which does not work as well (fast) on the old HDD's as it is primarily designed for SSD's.

Just curious, but can a user force which format will be used with the particular macOS version and a particular Drive volume, whether it be solid state or rotary hard drive???

From what I read it seems like the Mac user doesn't have any such control as to which Drive format should be used and I am wondering if that is true or not. And it also seems to depend on whether the drive is internal or external as to which format it will be formatted to.

Can the macOS actually dictate and create the appropriate formatting regardless of what the user might want???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just curious, but can a user force which format will be used with the particular macOS version and a particular Drive volume, whether it be solid state or rotary hard drive???
Not really. Apple converted to APFS with High Sierra and has required that for the boot drive since then. APFS actually first appeared in Sierra as an option, but was default in HS and beyond. For external drives, you can still select HFS+ if you want, but TM requires AFPS.
Can the macOS actually dictate and create the appropriate formatting regardless of what the user might want???
Yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.