Help with Installing a Clean Version of Mac OS

mtm5062

Reaction score
So my Mac fell off my desk and the screen cracked (See pic 3). I opened it up and it had a 1TB HDD. I want to replace that with a 500GB SSD. I do not need the data from the HDD and I want to install a clean OS on the SSD. I downloaded Mojave from The Mac Go -World of Mac and used TransMac to make a bootable USB. When I try to install it using Alt I keep getting pic 2 - support.apple.com/mac/startup. How do I install it so that it works and then update it to the latest OS?

Also where do you recommend buying a new screen (LM270QQ (SD) (B1)? I checked eBay and other sites, but that are all like $400+.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6417.jpg
    IMG_6417.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6418.PNG
    IMG_6418.PNG
    166.4 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Does the iMac work with the old HDD installed? If yes, put it back in and create the bootable USB installer in the iMac.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
There has to be a way to install a fresh copy of Mac OSX on the new SSD right?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There has to be a way to install a fresh copy of Mac OSX on the new SSD right?
Yes, you grab the macOS installer from the App Store and then use a Mac or Windows (through TransMac) to create a bootable USB-installer that you can boot into.

Once you boot into the installer, you can use Disk Utility to format the SSD and then install macOS.

Not sure about the site you linked to, but I've only done this with installer from the official App Store.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
I only have access to a Windows. What's the best way to get the installer if I cant access the App Store?

I couldnt get Disk Utility to come up, just the attached pic. Maybe the installer I got was bad?

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
So I followed this step by step and created the Ventura bootable USB using a Mac. How to Create macOS Ventura Bootable USB Installer [macOS Ventura Tips]

I plug the USB into the broken Mac and it sees it, but as soon as I click it I get the same error.

What else can I try? I feel like this iMac can still be saved and upgraded with an SSD but I am doing something wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_6437.jpg
    IMG_6437.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6438.jpg
    IMG_6438.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7

krs

Reaction score
Well, do start with, a bootable macOS USB created using "Trans Mac" doesn't (always) work.
Maybe people who have used that method can post if it worked for them or not.

Second point - what is the model of the iMac that fell off the desk?
Does that Mac even compatible with macOS Ventura?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Okay, I can see that you have turned on the computer with the USB connected and have the Online Recovery and the USB visible on screen. I assume you clicked on the arrow below the USB resulting in the second screen shot.
That second screen shot confirms that the computer can recognise it but the circle with the diagonal line means it can't run it.
That suggests that either the computer you have is unable to run macOS Ventura or, the USB installer is faulty.
If you have the time you might want to simply use the Internet (Network) Recovery option. This only requires that you connect the device to a viable WiFi network and it will download (in most cases) the macOS that come with the device when new. From there you can upgrade to the latest compatible macOS available via the App store.
Be aware that Network Recovery is slow at best and may drop out before completion requiring more than one try. I suggest leaving it over night once it seems to be progressing.
Alternatively you can check the compatibility of your device : macOS compatibility: Find out the latest version your Mac can run
You could then obtain a USB bootable installer of that macOS in the same way you did with Ventura.
As you can see on the linked page you need generally a Mac model later than 2017.

PS. I would suggest that in future you create a backup, Time Machine which is free and built in although not technically bootable will allow you to boot into the Recovery Partition so that even if you do not wish to restore old data from it you would be able to access Disk Utility and Reinstall MacOS directly from the UI.

Last edited:
OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
Well, do start with, a bootable macOS USB created using "Trans Mac" doesn't (always) work.
Maybe people who have used that method can post if it worked for them or not.

Second point - what is the model of the iMac that fell off the desk?
Does that Mac even compatible with macOS Ventura?
I used my buddys brand new macbook so I didn’t need to go the Windows Trans Mac route.
It’s an A1419 from 2015 I believe. I’m a windows guy and I just assumed Ventura will work on any Mac. I can try the same process with Big Sur. Should I try an older OS and then update it once it’s installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Rather than stab in the dark for a system that works, if you know the model of the Mac, you can look at what it can run. MacTracker is an app that will tell you the latest version of macOS each machine will run.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
Rather than stab in the dark for a system that works, if you know the model of the Mac, you can look at what it can run. MacTracker is an app that will tell you the latest version of macOS each machine will run.

Thank you. It looks like it will only accept Monterey. I’ll go back to my buddy’s house and get Monterey and El Captain on 2 USBs.
Where’s the best place to buy a new screen since this one is trash?

Attachments

• IMG_6442.png
    IMG_6442.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 7

krs

Reaction score
Thank you. It looks like it will only accept Monterey. I’ll go back to my buddy’s house and get Monterey and El Captain on 2 USBs.
I would also make a USB installer of Mojave since that is the last macOS that will run 32-bit applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
So I created a bootable USB of Monterey and it looks like it’s going to install but it gets stuck on the attached screen. I tried with and without internet and it keeps getting stuck with “Less than a minute remaining”. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6464.jpeg
    IMG_6464.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long did you wait? An Apple minute is not a realtime minute.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
It was stuck on that for 2 hours so I restarted and tried again and now it’s the same. I’ll leave it overnight and see what happens.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Generally speaking once you get that message it shouldn't take two hours. Others may chime in with different experiences. I think something is a bit odd here. Have you run the Disk First Aid option in disk utility? I would try that to see if there are any disk-related issues. It's also possible that the installer did not download properly.

Last sentence edited to clarify that the installer may not have downloaded properly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, as Sly said, "hours" is more than normal. I've seen the 1 minute warning take about 15 real minutes, but not much more.

OP
M

mtm5062

Reaction score
Phew! So I let it go overnight and got it working running Monterey 12.6.5. I am pretty disappointed in the speed of this vs my Dell Optiplex 7040.

The Dell blows the upgraded iMac away. Did I do something on the iMac to make it slower?

Dell Specs:
Samsung 500GB SSD
16GB RAM
Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20ghZ

iMac Specs:
Samsung 500GB SSD (Same as the Dell)
32GB RAM
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

A speed test on the Dell gets 680 Mbps
A speed test on the iMac gets 213Mbps

I would think the iMac would be faster but it is not as responsive and pretty sluggish. The Dell boots up 3x faster as well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.