Help with an older Macbook?

Reaction score
Hey tech wizards, I'm not very savvy when it comes to my macbook so please be gentle if my questions seem basic.

I have a MacBook (13-inch, Aluminium, Late 2008) 13.3"/D2.4G/2x1GB/250/SD-DL from what my serial number tells me.

Anyway, so this is obviously an older Macbook now but still going strong overall.

-One of the main problems in the computer slowing right down to an almost stop if more than one programme is open at a time which people have said the RAM needs updating? Is this possible or would I need a new Macbook?

-Also I think I'm currently running 10.6.8 (snow leopard?) and many programmes can't update because I need the new OS? Does this need to be upgraded would my macbook cope with it?

-Finally i'm not sure what the **** is wrong with iphoto? Is there a simple way to not use it. My darling iphone seems to hate talking to simple folders which I would like create and drop the photos in and then use an external hard drive to store on?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your MacBook can accept up to 8 GB of memory according to Mactracker and other Mac sites even though Apple specifies 4 GB. More memory will certainly help and possibly a newer and faster hard drive or even a SSD will add speed and life to your MacBook. And, I would not update your version of OS X from Snow Leopard even though you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.