file convertor

OP
R
Reaction score
File 1 is Father_Christmas.bat when I right-click on the icon and click on get information it says open with hallmark but when I try to open it with hallmark it says could not open ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
File 1 is Father_Christmas.bat when I right-click on the icon and click on get information it says open with hallmark but when I try to open it with hallmark it says could not open ?

What version of Hallmark Studio.app do you have installed, and how old is the Father_Christmas.bat and does it give you any other possibly useful information when you do a Get Info on it.

Have you checked with the Hallmark support site for a possible solution???

What macOS version software are you running??? (my apologies if you mentioned that previously).

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a 32-bit application, and if you happen to have Catalina installed, it will not run with that macOS version.

Maybe have a look through some of the hits here:

Some of them might give you an idea as to what the problem might be.

Just a thought... Have fun...

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Can you open Father_Christmas.bat in TextEdit? If you can, what does it look like? If it's a batch file it should be perfectly readable (but not executable on Mac), and we may be able to figure out what it was originally trying to do. If it looks like garbage or a lot of jumbled characters, that's a different issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you open Father_Christmas.bat in TextEdit?

Using the free TextWrangler or BBEdit applications may provide better results as TextEdit doesn't always seem to like dealing with graphic files, which I'm assuming the hallmark studio .bat file is.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, my assumption was that the bat file was a Windows Batch file that executed some steps in Windows to open the app and extract that particular image. That's sort of the simplest approach and I think is more likely than that there is some idiot who decided to use .bat as an extent for an image file when .bat already was being widely used for batch files. Could be the idiot approach, but I'm suspecting the batch idea.

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks for the information have downloaded BBedit will give it a try if it doesn't work I will just do without the files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder if opening the .bat file from within the application might work better as this old 2014 support document seems to suggest???:

How do I open a saved project? (KB040155)

I suspect a proprietary file format is being used here, and not using a standard mac opening method.

But there are still some unanswered questions remaining which makes it hard to deal with the problem.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Patrick:

Sorry, but I'm with Jake on this. As I pointed out in my first reply, the file extension *.bat has always been designated as a Windows batch file. Like Jake, I can't believe that Hallmark Studio would use that file extension for some proprietary graphic file.

Those instructions are likely for the Windows version of Hallmark Studio, not the Mac version.

Hallmark Studio (Hallmark Card Studio) comes in two versions: Windows and Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies and help I've come to the conclusion that the information you have given that the file is hallmark for windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for your replies and help I've come to the conclusion that the information you have given that the file is hallmark for windows.

That sure sounds logical and makes sense, so now all you need is Windows OS and Hallmark Studio for Windows and then you can probably open the file.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That sure sounds logical and makes sense, so now all you need is Windows OS and Hallmark Studio for Windows and then you can probably open the file.

I believe Hallmark Studio was sold on a CD that contained both versions; Windows and Mac. The installation detects which operating system you have and installs the proper version.

Lately though, many programs such as Hallmark Studio are download only with the provision of a disc being an extra cost.

Anyway, I'm glad we can put this one to rest.

Eh Patrick.... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, I'm glad we can put this one to rest.

+1...

It's sort of reminded me of the old PPC Brauderbund sp?? Print Shop and all the confusion when they added a Windows type version.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.