file convertor

Reaction score
Is there any free file converter that will convert bat files so they can be used in pages/hallmark studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is there any free file converter that will convert bat files so they can be used in pages/hallmark studio.

I think you are going to have to add a fair bit more detail as to what you are wanting to do.

- Patrick
=======

OP
R
Reaction score
I want to convert the file so that I can open it preferably in mac pages or hallmark card studio .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you mean DAT files? Maybe bat files were left over from last week's Halloween bats Pigoo afra ged?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

"Bat" files are Windows "batch" files which act like executable files to run certain actions.

What exactly are you trying to do? You can not convert a Windows batch file directly to something that will work with Pages or the Hallmark Studio.

What you can do, however, is go through the batch file to see what it does and then write the same thing using the scripting language of macOS.

Probably a bit complex but refer to this article:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to convert the file so that I can open it preferably in mac pages or hallmark card studio .

That was pretty obvious from what you said in #1post which pretty well said the same thing!!!

What is the name of the file, does it say it's a xfilenamex.bat file?

Where did it come from?

Can you open it with TextEdit orTextWrangker and read any of the text it contains??

Is it a type of script file???

What do you expect it to contain??? Text???, Graphics???

Is it a file that you generated from something else or part of some application, or a file that someone possibly sent you etc? Maybe even from a Windows user???

Your description is still just too vague, at least for me, without providing further details only you can provide.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

Read my reply to him. I'm fairly certain what he wants to do. Unfortunately, you can not directly transform or convert Windows batch files to something that runs in macOS. If he knows how to write a script that mimics the batch file, it may work to do what he wants.

OP
R
Reaction score
The files are on a disc actually there are a number of these files on the disc and they are pictures which when downloaded they can be printed off to use when making Christmas cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The files are on a disc actually there are a number of these files on the disc and they are pictures which when downloaded they can be printed off to use when making Christmas cards.

Is this some commercial disc or somebody's backup that contains the images???

Did you ever use those images from that disc previously???

What is the extension of such images in their Filename???

What is the filename extension when they're downloaded???

Does your Mac give you any indication at all of what application to use when you choose "Open with..."????

Read my reply to him. I'm fairly certain what he wants to do. Unfortunately, you can not directly transform or convert Windows batch files to something that runs in macOS. If he knows how to write a script that mimics the batch file, it may work to do what he wants.

I'm not convinced that his files are actually Windows .bat files, but possibly some other proprietary format that have somehow got renamed inaccurately.

But I dare say, getting all the details is almost like pulling a rotted off tooth here. :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If member rayben is correct about what the files are then it looks like somewhere along the way, the information about what type of file this is has become corrupted. I had this happen before where some files that should have been HTML pages got mistagged as Unix executables.

If we're sure what these files are, try right-clicking one of the files and changing the information so that you choose to open it with the appropriate program.

If that works, the rest of the files can be changed by selecting them, then changing them as a batch.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not convinced that his files are actually Windows .bat files, but possibly some other proprietary format that have somehow got renamed inaccurately.

Well, if they're not Windows batch files, then your guess is as good as any. :) We really won't know for sure until he gets back to us.

Like Sly said above, right clicking on one to open it should give us a clue. And, by the way, Windows batch files can be read and edited with TextEdit since all they are is plain text. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like Sly said above, right clicking on one to open it should give us a clue. And, by the way, Windows batch files can be read and edited with TextEdit since all they are is plain text. ;)

Yep, just as I mentioned in my #8 post.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the file extension is "bat" then it is:

Other than that, I have no idea what kind of files they are especially if they're pictures. Could be a proprietary format as Patrick pointed out.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, just as I mentioned in my #8 post.

- Patrick
=======
I missed that when I re-read the thread earlier. Kudos to you for pointing it out before I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I missed that when I re-read the thread earlier. Kudos to you for pointing it out before I did.

Thanks Sly, i have been trying to get my head big enough so that I could fit it into one of those hats like you wear sometimes. ;)

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Sly, i have been trying to get my head big enough so that I could fit it into one of those hats like you wear sometimes. ;)

- Patrick
=======
No problem giving credit where it's deserved. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

Given some of my recent escapades, I might have to trade a few stylish cowboy hats for some type of crash helmet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Given some of my recent escapades, I might have to trade a few stylish cowboy hats for some type of crash helmet.

LOL. You're not planning on buying a Harley Davidson are you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL. You're not planning on buying a Harley Davidson, are you?
If I did that, SWMBO would have more than enough reason to question my competence.

@Patrick I think they have been doing things like this for some time. IIRC there was someone here locally that had one of those modified machines.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
harley davidson for handicapped - Google Search

Hey, nice find Patrick. It's good to know that if someone is handicapped they can still own a Harley. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.