Exchange account asking for Password continuously.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a Microsoft account, accompanying email address and some apps like Skype and have had for years but recently I get repeatedly asked for my Exchange password on my iPhone. Entering it correctly achieves nothing and after a few tries clicking OK or Ignore the notification eventually goes away, till next time.
Today I discovered a current article from MS (Feb 2024) addressing the issue. There is a full explanation of it at the top of the below attached web page article but basically it all boils down to a change in authentication protocol.

Scroll down to the "If you use Apple Mail" and you will see how simple it was for me.
Simply delete the Exchange account from both Mail, and in my case Spark on my iPhone, add a new Outlook account using my @live.com (IMAP) address in both, verify with MS Authenticator (if you have that) if not download it. After a minute or two all my @live.com emails appear in both Mail and Spark in my new "Live" inbox. This change is mirrored on all my devices.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Very useful info for those who have an account similar to yours, Rod.

Why all these changes, eh? Well, if it keeps Microsoft happy.....

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I had the same request yesterday, first time, and currently only the once!! Though I have not made the changes you suggest.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, according to the article the protocol will change for Exchange accounts too, just not stated when. Previous to this article there were a lot of posts suggesting deleting and re adding, removing business accounts, removing calendar apps and so on. None helped me. This is the first time MS has suggested swapping to Outlook.com. So far this has worked for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.