Ethernet will not connect to internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What is motivating you to use Ethernet instead of WiFi (which you say works)? When we look at the symptoms:

1. No IP issued over Ethernet.
2. No Ethernet connection with three (3) different adapters.
3. No evidence Ethernet ever worked.

I'm thinking that whatever is the "box" from Spectrum, it's not connect to your Ethernet wiring (if that is even what is in the walls--some companies use that same hardware for other kinds of connection other than Ethernet, so just having a RJ45 socket is no guarantee that it's actually Ethernet or connect to any Ethernet devices. And with no Ethernet socket on the "box" from Spectrum, just a wire with some sort of adaptor that may or may not be Ethernet.

At this point I suggest you contact Spectrum to see what they have set up for you and to ask if Ethernet is even possible with your setup. It may be WiFi only. And that cable to the wall may be just a way to get the tv signal from the "box" to your TV, wherever it may be, so not Ethernet at all but some sort of signal to the set top box, or smart tv, depending on what the "box" is doing.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ethernet is much safer than wifi, which was recently upgraded to 5g with the change of providers. The Ethernet is supposed to work, but I have a feeling it was not installed correctly and will call them to fix it. The box is for the TV, but as I understand it, should also work for Ethernet.

Thanks for your help. I will update once I get this figured out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The box is for the TV, but as I understand it, should also work for Ethernet.

I doubt it. I have never seen a cable box either from Spectrum (formerly Charter Communications) or any other provider that had both ethernet and cable TV together.

Even Verizon FIOS Internet and TV use a separate cable box and another device (router-modem) to receive ethernet or transmit WiFi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Ah, I think you misunderstand what the wifi is doing. Originally WiFi used the frequency 2.4gHz for communications. That band got really busy with other things also using that frequency (wireless home phones, remote controllers, BlueTooth devices, etc), so the designers of WiFi moved up to a higher frequency at 5gHz where the bandwidth is broader, so the speed is faster and where there is less congestion, so less interference and signal dropout. But now Cellular is moving to what they call 5G, which is not the same frequency band as 5gHz despite the similarity in naming. The 5G stands for "fifth generation" because the technology involved is the fifth upgrade from when Cellular first started, while 5gHz, is "five gigaHertz" and describes a particular frequency radio band. Cellular 5G uses multiple sets of frequencies, none of which is 5gHz. There are some conspiracy theories about how the frequencies at which the fastest 5G works are somehow harmful to humans (not true), so there are scary stories against it. But 5G is NOT the same as 5gHz in a WiFi router. The signal in a router is very, very low, travels only a few dozen yards before it is essentially undetectable and which is perfectly safe at that level. WiFi doesn't have to work for hundreds of yards, or miles, just a few feet to satisfy your needs inside your dwelling. Ethernet isn't any safer than Wifi. It is, however, faster because it's directly connected instead of being transmitted by radio.

So, in addition to what chscag said, I still don't think you are actually set up for Ethernet, just WiFi and your Spectrum TV signals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, what "box" did your ISP give you, a modem, a router, or a combo (modem & router)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.