• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well it's definitely confirmed.. wow :)

Reaction score
ha...
<@trent_> for the last 5 years, all versions of Mac OS X have been compiled to run on both PowerPC and Intel hardware, Steve Jobs is giving his keynote speech right now using a Pentium 4 with Mac OS X on it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
livatlantis said:
To all interested, this is treasure: http://appleinsider.com/wwdc2005.php

Disappointing. This won't fix most of the problems people complain about with mac performance - in particular games. Drivers still have to be optimized for the OS, just look at Linux performance compared to Windows in many games.

Jobs has been right most of the time in the past, maybe they know something we don't. Maybe IBM just brushed them off and refused to make competitive parts for them. It's sad to a degree though, now there is only one viable hardware platform for home PC use. The x86 architecture has finally dethroned its last opponent.

=-Lonerider-=

Reaction score
It's about time Apple recognizes the superiority of the x86 processing world. I really would have loved to see AMD processors used in a Mac, but I guess Intel is a step in the right direction. The quad-core Opertons are going to offer some sick performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
no word on supporting us users that just bought a high power mac for 2k?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
MadSkillzMan said:

What are you expecting of them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
MadSkillzMan said:

In a few articals that I read, all the companies look like they are still going to produce software for both the PPC and the Intel, but I probably wouldn't hold my breath on Leppard supporting the PPC.

But I understand what you are saying. Apple throws out that they are switching from PPC to Intel, but says nothing on a legacy (PPC) support roadmap. I guess you can bet that for the next year Mac sales are definately going to be down.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I am very curious as to what they plan to do about that.. I know they have a lot of money saved up, but that's a huge loss for investors, for everyone, for one whole year of waiting... I look forward to some press releases by Apple about all of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
You know, the worst part of this is I just purchased my machine like 1 month ago, and it started this big switching campain with my family and friends. You can bet that now they are going to wait since none of them have systems that are ready to die and will need to be replaced in the next year :(

OP
K

Kokopelli

Figure they have 5 billion plus in the bank. Apple can have a couple of repressed quarters. As long as they don't drop more than 60% and recover to their current levels by 2010 they should be fine. (Not based on any hard data, just a WAG. But it will take them quite a while to burn through 5 billion.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
im with RGertner...my gfs family was gonna switch, our horse driver was gonna swtich..all because of the good thigns my mac can do.

Thatd be so wrong to not let Leppard support PPC. I mean, the G4's were put out back when everything was OS9. And OSX runs on them.

Steve would be likle starting over! How many of us who just dropped a whole bunch for a PPC machine are actually gonna want to buy another machine from this company in the near future?

and this whole DRM thing...personal computing is collapsing upon itself lol really, i always figured windows would drive DRM up, lose all its customers, and theyd come to mac.

This is the part where you grab steve, smack him in the back of the head with a newspaper, and in a firm voice say "NO!"

OP
C

Cloudane

I bought a Powerbook a year ago feeling fairly confident that it wouldn't be made obsolete as quickly as PCs do. And they just made it completely, utterly obsolete... 1 more year and I'll be using a "classic" Mac. I really feel sorry for the people who bought Macs closer to the present, especially G5s...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
Cloudane said:
I bought a Powerbook a year ago feeling fairly confident that it wouldn't be made obsolete as quickly as PCs do. And they just made it completely, utterly obsolete... 1 more year and I'll be using a "classic" Mac. I really feel sorry for the people who bought Macs closer to the present, especially G5s...

Ditto this thought...thank god I switched only to a mac mini and nothing more expensive like I had considered (I was seriously thinking of buying the wife and I iMacs or PMs...buy did I make the right decision!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Cloudane said:
I really feel sorry for the people who bought Macs closer to the present, especially G5s...

Why? It's not like they are just completely dropping support for the G5 and the G5 is still an amazing processor.

OP
C

Cloudane

Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction, but I believe Apple will want to strongly discourage PPC if they think Intel is the future of their sales. You don't think they themselves will put the G5 down at every opportunity they can once their Mac-branded PCs are out?

I really, truely hope that those who are being optomistic are correct, and really wish I could think the same way. But all I can think about is OS/2 and AmigaOne.

Reaction score
They will not be mac branded PC's, I have from a very reliable source who went to school with me who is now an engineer and Intel, that the new processor will not make other macs obsolete in any way other than the fact that they will be older, than the new ones, and they will be completly compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
BeOS was PPC and X86. Lets hope osx isnt another BeOS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.