• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Done Deal - Apple converts to x86 Intel

OP
F

falltime

MadSkillzMan said:
EDIT: Crap, ILM has switched to intel too!

Last I heard, they are using AMD processors.

MadSkillzMan said:
EDIT: that means adobe will lose sales, discreet (now autodesk) Macromedia, alias, maxon...wont the movie industry have issues now because they gotta rely on wintel chips.

Heh, well Hollywood already prefers x86(-64) Windows/Linux machines to Apple.

Heres a few good links:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2005-04-18-amd-usat_x.htm

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983898.html <-We all know who owns Pixar... LOL.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_5620_543^5730~84919,00.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
Personally, I'm fine with the switch to Intel. The Intel iMac probably won't get here till the second half of 06, so I can enjoy my new iMac from now till then without getting the upgrade bug. Also I would think that over the next year there will be very few upgrades to the PPC models so again, I won't have the upgrade bug for at least a year.

Thanks,
Ray

Reaction score
RGertner said:
Personally, I'm fine with the switch to Intel. The Intel iMac probably won't get here till the second half of 06, so I can enjoy my new iMac from now till then without getting the upgrade bug. Also I would think that over the next year there will be very few upgrades to the PPC models so again, I won't have the upgrade bug for at least a year.
You bring up a very good point. If Apple does make the decision to move, I doubt IBM will be throwing any new products their way. The next major product revision will come when they switch processors.

Here is another good article:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23726

Goes to show what a huge implication this switch may have on the PC side of things.

OP
C

Cloudane

From one of those articles...

I guess Apple will move to Intel, and they're relying on a fast, seamless emulator to do it.

Does this remind anyone of the Amiga? :( IIRC that's what the new generation was supposed to do - run off x86 and basically be an emulation.

Amiga is dead now... I hope Apple don't go the same way.

OP
J

jdmiller82

Now before you get all wound up over Apple going x86 and using crappy "pentiums" all that is being said is that Apple is possibly going to use Intel as a chip maker. Meaning that Apple will provide the specifications and intel will produce the product. therefore the real change will occur at intel, as they will be creating new chips that cater specifically to their customer (Apple) Chances are that intel has offered a chip that Apple couldn't refuse. Something along the lines of breaking into the 3Ghz (something Apple is way behind on)

Miller Out

Reaction score
I think Apple is trying to get more of IBM's attention. I don't IBM would want to lose Apple as a customer. I don't believe Apple really wants to move to Intel either. However there may be a slight chance they could port on low end machines, but I think there is too much risk of hacking and cloning.

ed724

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Having read all the links and blogs and whatnot I'm wondering if they've not got it backwards, maybe Apple will be replacing the top end machines and using the Transitive technology to run OSX on Itaniums. If so it would be a strange step indeed but as others have said it would certainly get IBMs attention.

Of course everyone is assuming that it is Apple making the switch and not IBM telling them to get lost, maybe with IBM promising MS, Sony & Nintendo massive development aid they have told Apple that they will not be able to support them anymore?

Going that way would also mean that the other Transitive options (like the Opteron!) would be easy to switch to thus further pitting Intel against AMD in an Apple cold-war.

Amen-Moses

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Do I hear a G6. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
I'm loving this. All these pre-keynote speculations, rumors, opinions and predictions :p Only 30 minutes to go for WWDC to start lol. Here's my take on the possible Intel deal.

If Apple move to Intel for their processor, it will be in such a way that everything on the software front remains as it it. (PPC by Intel?)

But, that's not likely to happen. Maybe a new hardware should be run on Intel processors? - Xserve RAID already runs Intel, I believe, so it shouldn't be too much of a deal for current Mac users.

I'm confident that Apple won't dissapoint, though ;) Boy, is this fun! :p

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

To make an omlette you've got to break a few eggs ...........

I gotta study for a final --- will be interesting to see what Jobs has cooked up this morning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Awesome. Thank you for the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
It's TRUE!!!

AppleInsider WWDC 2005 Live Coverage said:
INTEL RUMORS TRUE: Jobs says there have been two major transitions for Mac: 68K to PowerPC and then Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Now it's time for third transition to Intel-based Macs. Developers will begin to make the transition now. While users can begin to switch next year. Apple is making the move "because we want to make the best computers for our customers."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.