Do I need to replace my SSD?

Reaction score
I have a mid-2012 Macbook Air that has been suffering from a range of issues over the past few months. It freezes and shuts down randomly. It also sometimes shows the flashing question-mark folder upon startup. It also often runs extremely slow even when first turned on (it should be fast as it has 8gb of ram). I have been trying to figure out what the problem is, and I think it may be the SSD for the following reasons:

• I tried erasing the internal SSD from disk utility and installing and running MacOS on an external hard drive. Everything works perfectly on the computer while running MacOS from the external drive (it was on for 24+ hours without shutting down/freezing and without slowness issues).
  • While I was using MacOS from the external drive (it had been on for a few hours), the following message suddenly popped up in the top right corner: IMG_2127.JPG
    It seemed strange to me that the internal SSD would "eject" randomly while I was using the computer.
  • Many of the times I've tried to run the Apple Hardware Tests (by holding down D during startup) the computer randomly shuts down before I'm able to complete the test. Sometimes it even shuts down before I am able to begin the test (while inputting the WI-Fi network details).

I tried opening up the back of the computer and removing the SSD, cleaning the area with compressed air, and then reinserting the SSD, however the problems/issues persist. Do you think I need to replace the SSD? Maybe the issue is the SATA cable that connects to the SSD? Do you think I should replace that?

Note: I also posted on Apple's forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like the SSD is failing. Have you booted into the external drive, and run Disk Utility in Repair Disk or Disk First Aid mode, depending what operating system you are using? You have not told us this. Also how much free space is available on the SSD? Crucial recommends at least 10% free space for the drive to work anywhere near efficiently.

OP
L
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like the SSD is failing. Have you booted into the external drive, and run Disk Utility in Repair Disk or Disk First Aid mode, depending what operating system you are using? You have not told us this. Also how much free space is available on the SSD? Crucial recommends at least 10% free space for the drive to work anywhere near efficiently.

Thanks harryb!

I am running 10.11.6 OS X El Capitan from the external drive. When I run First Aid on the "Internal Physical Disk" the operation is successful, however after all of the checks, it does mention: "Problems were found with the partition map which might prevent booting." I don't know if that's an issue or not.

The SSD is currently wiped (I erased everything before running MacOS from the external drive), however before it was wiped, more than half of the drive was free (60+ GB). Also, as I said, when I try to run Apple Hardware Test (with the external drive disconnected and the internal "Macintosh HD" SSD wiped) the computer still crashes within a few minutes. I assume this is because the AHT files are stored on the Recovery HD which is just another partition of the internal SSD (which seems to be having the problems).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the MBA is a mid 2012 model, it will be not run Diagnostics, which became available on Late 2013 models. Your MBA is either a mode l5.1 or 5.2. Go into the red link below and scroll down until you find the model number and click on the blue reference number. It will download Apple Hardware Test to your Downloads Floder. Drag it to the Desktop, pop in a USB thumb drive formatted Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Drag the image to the thumb drive icon, it will burn onto the drive and be bootable.

Reboot and immediately hold down 'C' and run Apple Hardware Test in full mode. Good luck.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
After many attempts, I was able to run Apple Hardware Test. It didn't find any issues. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think Apple Hardware Test does any testing of the SSD anyway, so it wouldn't detect an issue.

Anyway, does replacing the SSD seem like a fair bet for my problem? Could the issue alternatively be the SATA cable that connects to the SSD?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, it could be either, the cable or the SSD, or, it may even be both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
Being a mid-2012 Air, it would have a blade-type ssd which connects directly to a socket on the motherboard: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Logic+Board+Replacement/10957

A replacement drive is very expensiven for a mid-2012 Air.

If the unit is a mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro, there is a sata hard drive cable for a 2.5" drive. The sata hard drive cables can fail.

I recommend taking the unit to an apple store for diagnosis. Based on posts in other forums, the apple stores are replacing the sata cable for free on the 2012 13" Macbook.

If the apple won't replace the cable, there are cheap replacements on Amazon which is where I got a cable for a 2009 15", 2010 13" MBP, and 2011 13".

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Ferrarr and Audit!

Ferrarr, since the cable is much cheaper I'll try that first. Do you know where I could buy a cable for the mid-2012 MacBook Air? Is this the correct item?

If the unit is a mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro, there is a sata hard drive cable for a 2.5" drive. The sata hard drive cables can fail.
Audit, the computer is a mid-2012 13" MacBook Air (not Pro). I assume it also has a sata cable?

I bought the computer used about a year ago and I think the previous owner already changed some of the hardware (including the SSD). Considering this, do you think Apple would still be willing to work on it for free? I've looked a bit on Amazon but haven't had much luck, do you know if the cables are the same on other version of the MacBook Air (could I buy one of those)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a mid-2012 air, there would not be a sata cable so don't ordering anything yet.

The mid-2012 13" Pro will have a slot on the right-handed side for loading a DVD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry, I missed the fact that you have a MacBook Air, and not a Pro. So no cable in the Air. You also mentioned you opened the back of the MBA, and removed the SSD, cleaned the area and put it back together. Do you remember if there was a cable, or only the connector you disconnected the SSD blade drive from?

I use ifixit.com, to learn all about the Macs I own, and any mac I may be interested in purchasing, here is the link for their repair guides for MacBook Air models, https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Air

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Audit, since there's no SATA cable, do you think I should try replacing the SSD to solve the issues?

Ferrarr, I believe there was only a connector, I couldn't clearly see any cable, although I don't know what it would look like. So I should probably replace the SSD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Audit, since there's no SATA cable, do you think I should try replacing the SSD to solve the issues?

Do you have an external with a bootable or cloned backup you could try booting from and running for a while.

That should bypass the internal drive and give you some idea of the problem if your internal drive is goofy or not.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A replacement ssd for a mid-2012 air would be very expensive as it is proprietary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A replacement ssd for a mid-2012 air would be very expensive as it is proprietary.

Mac Sales (OWC) here in the US carries a complete stock of various sizes for that model and they are not expensive.

You can see what Mac Sales has by going here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Matter of opinion that 'expenisve' bit. For mine I think a240/250GB Flash drive for less than $175 is reasonable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm Canada so I would have to add about 27% to account for exchange on the drive itself and shipping pushes the price up even more for me.

Before spending money on a replacement drive, I would take it to the Apple Store and have them test the unit.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Do you have an external with a bootable or cloned backup you could try booting from and running for a while.

That should bypass the internal drive and give you some idea of the problem if your internal drive is goofy or not.

pm-r, when I boot and run MacOS from an external drive the computer works perfectly. This points to the SSD needing to be replaced, right?

Yes, I'm in the US, so $91.99 for 120gb would work for my purposes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies!

pm-r, when I boot and run MacOS from an external drive the computer works perfectly. This points to the SSD needing to be replaced, right?

Yes, I'm in the US, so $91.99 for 120gb would work for my purposes!

I'd sure agree with that diagnosis — the internal drive is goofy, but not completely kaput dead‚ at least not yet.

Some guides and other info here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2012-how-to-replace-upgrade-ssd-storage.html

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about the connection from the SSD to the logic board, or the bus on the logic board itself? Could one of those potentially also cause a problem like this?

I think Audit13 already mentioned something about that, but there doesn't seem to be any potentially bad ribbon cable involved with your model.

But heck, anything is possible, but more possibly unlikely in your case I would think.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.