Disc utility confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Here I am again,
Hopefully I'll post some pic's of my DU page. I just want to know if I can get rid of any of the mac HD's. This all the SSD so I'm wondering why I have all these drives/partitions? showing up.

Screen Shot  1 pm.png

Screen shot 2 pm.png

Screen shot 3 pm.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's normal with the APFS to have two volumes, the second of which is "Data". What's not normal is to have two "Data" volumes. You should be able to remove the second one safely, but do a backup beforehand just in case. See this discussion on Apple's forums:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I would bet that you tried to reformat the drive or reinstall the operating system. In the process of doing that, the installer changes the format of the drive to APFS, which it is, then creates a Container for the drive, which is has. Those happen if necessary. Then in the Container it creates two Volumes, one named Macintosh HD and the other Macintosh HD - Data. The first Volume is for system files and is separate because it has very high security on it. The second holds User data.

But if you reinstall and point to Macintosh HD as the installation location, it repeats the process and creates a new Volume named Macintosh HD - Data, as you have it. At this point it's hard to tell which of the "Data" volumes is the "real" one so the easy solution in the Thread Lifeisabeach gave is a little risky, IMHO. You might delete the Volume the system is using to hold your current data. If you have a good backup, it may be better to reinstall and then let Migration Assistant return your files for you. If you choose to do that reinstall, use the Disk Utility in the installer to repartition the drive, erase and create a new Container and then let it create the two volumes from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At this point it's hard to tell which of the "Data" volumes is the "real" one so the easy solution in the Thread Lifeisabeach gave is a little risky, IMHO. You might delete the Volume the system is using to hold your current data.

Actually the screen caps provided make it easy to see which is the “real” one. The first “Data” volume has a good bit of space used while “Data 2” only has a few hundred kB used (effectively none). The volume size is irrelevant here, just the used space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually the screen caps provided make it easy to see which is the “real” one. The first “Data” volume has a good bit of space used while “Data 2” only has a few hundred kB used (effectively none). The volume size is irrelevant here, just the used space.
True, but if on boot the drive that is merged with Macintosh HD is Macintosh HD - Data 2, DU probably won't be able to delete the Volume. And if it can be deleted, when it reboots will the system expect it to be there or will it just pick up with Data 1? I doubt the latter, as the process would then bypass the security of the system in protecting data with User permissions. I suspect the system will boot, but then not allow for any login because it doesn't see any /User folder to attach because it's looking for Disk 2. Could be wrong, but I'm betting the security will jump in somewhere in that process.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Since there doesn't seem to be any much user data I'd be inclined to erase and reinstall the macOS from scratch. Is this a new device?
Time Machine might be the best option for reinstalling user data.
Reinstall the macOS from the Restore Partition and user data at setup from TM, or am I missing something.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
By the way my DU display is a little puzzling too. Since the first BS update it looks like this;
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.26.05 am.png Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.26.18 am.png Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 8.26.29 am.png
Viewed in CCC it still looks the same as always, Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "com.apple..." volume is a where the system snapshots are kept from TM when the TM drive is not available. You can see the snapshot reference in your screenshot of the Volume. I have that Volume on my system, just like yours.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks for the replies but I'm simply confused by them. I've never been good at understanding computers and I think I've exceeded my level of incompetence. :)
What about if I just do the upgrade to BS? Would it just sort itself out with that?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to 'about this mac' and see here that it looks right. Is there an explanation for this?

About this mac.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True, but if on boot the drive that is merged with Macintosh HD is Macintosh HD - Data 2, DU probably won't be able to delete the Volume. And if it can be deleted, when it reboots will the system expect it to be there or will it just pick up with Data 1? I doubt the latter, as the process would then bypass the security of the system in protecting data with User permissions. I suspect the system will boot, but then not allow for any login because it doesn't see any /User folder to attach because it's looking for Disk 2. Could be wrong, but I'm betting the security will jump in somewhere in that process.

It won't be a problem. Or rather it shouldn't be. I've actually been through this once myself. I think I have a post about it, but good luck rooting that out. LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to 'about this mac' and see here that it looks right. Is there an explanation for this?
That does not look right. There should only be ONE "Data" Volume.

Let me take a go at making it easier for you to understand. In the days before Apple changed things, a drive was "partitioned" into sections that could each be mounted into the operating system and accessed by the User (most of the time). Those mounted partitions looked like drives to the user, each one had a separate icon, different name, etc. Sometimes the multiple partitions were not available to the user and, as such, were "hidden" from the user. But when the right keys were pressed at boot time, the system would use those hidden partitions to boot into recovery so the user could restore the system, for example.

OK, Apple changed things in Sierra and on by changing how the hardware is formatted and used. Now, with what is called APFS (which is Apple File System) the hardware, instead of having partitions, is divided into "Containers" and inside the Containers are "Volumes" that are roughly the equivalent of what used to be partitions. If you look at your screenshots from Disk Utility, you see the hardware name is, "Aura Pro X2 Media." Indented under that name is "Container disk1" and under that is "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data 1" and "Macintosh HD - Data 2." What Apple did, starting with Catalina, I think, was to create two of these Volumes at the time the system was installed. On one, the "Macintosh HD" Volume, the installer put the system folders, what you can see as /System, /Library, and /Applications. On the Macintosh HD - Data" Volume the installer put /Users. But then, to keep the system looking like it used to, it merges the two volumes into one logical volume in Finder and on the Desktop so there you only see "Macintosh HD" and none of the details of the two Volumes it has merged. Disc Utility can see the separate volumes because it is the tool the User uses to add and delete volumes. Unlike previous partitions, in APFS all of the Volumes have access to all of the unused space in the Container, which is why you see the same 886GB Available on all three of the Volumes in your screenshot. As any of the volumes use that space, it disappears from all three "Available" numbers because it is shared. A bit like having multiple taps on a gallon bucket. All three taps theoretically have a gallon of liquid available to them, but as one opens to take some out, all three have less available.

So what I think happened with you is that in some installation or, more likely, re-installation, you pointed to the Volume named Macintosh HD as the install drive. That is how it would have worked in the old structure. However, by doing that in APFS, it did what it is programmed to do--put the system folders on the "Macintosh HD" volume and create a "Macintosh HD - Data" Volume. But because there was one there already, it added the "1" and "2" to keep the names separate.

Now, when the system boots, it makes the merged Volumes (Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data) the "boot" drive logically, just as it would have done with a partition in the old scheme. And there are some things you cannot do to the boot drive, including deleting it. (After all, that's like trying to change the engine in your car as you are driving it--no can do.)

What you "SHOULD" see in Disk utility is more like what Rod showed--1 Macintosh Volume and 1 Macintosh HD - Data volume.

What Lifeisabeach suggested was to eliminate one of the "Data" volumes. That may be possible if the one you eliminate is NOT the one that the boot process has logically merged with the Macintosh HD Volume. It almost looks from your post #10 that both Volumes are mounted. Do you show disks on the Desktop? What shows there? If there is one named Macintosh HD and another with "Macintosh HD -- Data..." on the Desktop (Not in disk utility, on the Desktop), then the one on the desktop probably could be removed using Disk utility. Doing that will erase everything on that Volume, so make sure you have anything from it that you need before you try that.

As for installing BS, that won't fix it unless you do a full repartition of the hardware and let the installer create a new Container and in the Container a new Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, again erasing everything on the drive totally. If you just install over what you have, it will leave what you have. If you install and point to "Macintosh HD" as the install location you most likely will end up with "Macintosh HD - Data 3" as a new Volume. We had some poster here a few months ago with that situation. He, as I recall, did a clean install and partitioned the entire hardware again to get back to just the two Volumes.

Did that help any?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, I thought it was a snapshot from either TM or CCC. DU is full of surprises these days. So the snapshot is effectively the Macintosh HD? Sorry, I don't mean to horn in on this thread. I'll send a PM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, I thought it was a snapshot from either TM or CCC. DU is full of surprises these days. So the snapshot is effectively the Macintosh HD? Sorry, I don't mean to horn in on this thread. I'll send a PM.
The snapshots have always been on Macintosh HD. It's just that in the new scheme, they appear in DU as a folder on the System drive, but available to the user (not greyed out like Macintosh HD is). I don't know what you can do with them, however. The icon looks like a drive, so maybe they are mountable? Haven't tried, don't want to do that experiment.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That does not look right. There should only be ONE "Data" Volume.

Let me take a go at making it easier for you to understand. In the days before Apple changed things, a drive was "partitioned" into sections that could each be mounted into the operating system and accessed by the User (most of the time). Those mounted partitions looked like drives to the user, each one had a separate icon, different name, etc. Sometimes the multiple partitions were not available to the user and, as such, were "hidden" from the user. But when the right keys were pressed at boot time, the system would use those hidden partitions to boot into recovery so the user could restore the system, for example.

OK, Apple changed things in Sierra and on by changing how the hardware is formatted and used. Now, with what is called APFS (which is Apple File System) the hardware, instead of having partitions, is divided into "Containers" and inside the Containers are "Volumes" that are roughly the equivalent of what used to be partitions. If you look at your screenshots from Disk Utility, you see the hardware name is, "Aura Pro X2 Media." Indented under that name is "Container disk1" and under that is "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data 1" and "Macintosh HD - Data 2." What Apple did, starting with Catalina, I think, was to create two of these Volumes at the time the system was installed. On one, the "Macintosh HD" Volume, the installer put the system folders, what you can see as /System, /Library, and /Applications. On the Macintosh HD - Data" Volume the installer put /Users. But then, to keep the system looking like it used to, it merges the two volumes into one logical volume in Finder and on the Desktop so there you only see "Macintosh HD" and none of the details of the two Volumes it has merged. Disc Utility can see the separate volumes because it is the tool the User uses to add and delete volumes. Unlike previous partitions, in APFS all of the Volumes have access to all of the unused space in the Container, which is why you see the same 886GB Available on all three of the Volumes in your screenshot. As any of the volumes use that space, it disappears from all three "Available" numbers because it is shared. A bit like having multiple taps on a gallon bucket. All three taps theoretically have a gallon of liquid available to them, but as one opens to take some out, all three have less available.

So what I think happened with you is that in some installation or, more likely, re-installation, you pointed to the Volume named Macintosh HD as the install drive. That is how it would have worked in the old structure. However, by doing that in APFS, it did what it is programmed to do--put the system folders on the "Macintosh HD" volume and create a "Macintosh HD - Data" Volume. But because there was one there already, it added the "1" and "2" to keep the names separate.

Now, when the system boots, it makes the merged Volumes (Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data) the "boot" drive logically, just as it would have done with a partition in the old scheme. And there are some things you cannot do to the boot drive, including deleting it. (After all, that's like trying to change the engine in your car as you are driving it--no can do.)

What you "SHOULD" see in Disk utility is more like what Rod showed--1 Macintosh Volume and 1 Macintosh HD - Data volume.

What Lifeisabeach suggested was to eliminate one of the "Data" volumes. That may be possible if the one you eliminate is NOT the one that the boot process has logically merged with the Macintosh HD Volume. It almost looks from your post #10 that both Volumes are mounted. Do you show disks on the Desktop? What shows there? If there is one named Macintosh HD and another with "Macintosh HD -- Data..." on the Desktop (Not in disk utility, on the Desktop), then the one on the desktop probably could be removed using Disk utility. Doing that will erase everything on that Volume, so make sure you have anything from it that you need before you try that.

As for installing BS, that won't fix it unless you do a full repartition of the hardware and let the installer create a new Container and in the Container a new Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, again erasing everything on the drive totally. If you just install over what you have, it will leave what you have. If you install and point to "Macintosh HD" as the install location you most likely will end up with "Macintosh HD - Data 3" as a new Volume. We had some poster here a few months ago with that situation. He, as I recall, did a clean install and partitioned the entire hardware again to get back to just the two Volumes.

Did that help any?
Yes it certainly did help. I'm just really wary about trying to do anything about it, in case I make a mess of the whole laptop. Does it matter if I leave it as is?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem about you joining in Rod. I might even learn something. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it certainly did help. I'm just really wary about trying to do anything about it, in case I make a mess of the whole laptop. Does it matter if I leave it as is?
You didn't say if either of the Data Volumes was visible on the desktop. If so, that one would be the one to delete as it is not merged with the System Volume.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the late reply, trouble with something or other with the site and my email address. Anyway, there are no drives visible on the desk top.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try the settings in Finder preferences under the General Tab. Be careful though if you tick Hard Disks it will show Macintosh HD if nothing else. You definitely do not want to delete that. But if the Macintosh HD-Data appears right click it and check Get Info to confirm it is the right one one. Just to be sure.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I checked how you said and two drives showed up on the desktop. I'll put up a screen shot of both after right clicking.

Attachments

• HD Data.png
    HD Data.png
    314.9 KB · Views: 32

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.