deleteing files in the trash

Reaction score
I moved time machine backup files to the trash to delete them. They won’t delete and I can’t move them because they just copy. How can I get rid of them?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not delete Time Machine backup files by moving them to the Trash as they are protected. You have to delete Time Machine backups from within Time Machine. Select a backup from within Time Machine and press delete. The system will ask you for your admin password first and then delete the backup. You must do that for each backup you wish to delete.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try clicking on them and select "put back". If you can't do that because it won't allow you to move the files, you might have to delete the entire backup sparse bundle and start Time Machine from the beginning again. In other words, you might lose all your past backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How do I get them out of the trash?

Well, first give Chscag suggestion a try - just wondering if 'put back' will require your backup drive to be attached or whether you will be given an option - not sure?

Of course, you could go into the 'Terminal' and into the trash folder and delete from there - will it work? Plus, deleting stuff from the terminal is so terminal - ;)

Another option is to give a program like Trash Without a try - website HERE - use it occasionally and believe that it simply allows you to select files and then just uses terminal commands - has not always worked for me and had to go through the Terminal anyway - let us know if any of these suggestions helps? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.45.23 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
I downloaded trash without. Moved items from trash to trash with out now I have a window
/Volumes/Dad?.Trashes/
won't go away. Just returns when I hit OK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded trash without. Moved items from trash to trash with out now I have a window
/Volumes/Dad?.Trashes/
won't go away. Just returns when I hit OK

OK - relative to the Trash Without app, look @ my screen capture and the arrow, did you select that to delete your file/folder(s)? If not, then give it another try.

Also, I don't completely understand the name '/Volumes/Dad?.Trashes/', i.e. just kind of a weird name - you might have to end up going into the 'Terminal' to delete this item (and delete files w/i it and then the file) - let us know. Dave :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 9.50.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 9.50.18 PM.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 31
OP
D
Reaction score
The files in the trash only show up when my external hard drive is connected.
When I disconnect from the external hard drive they disappear.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That's right. IIRC the trash file is stored on each drive separately. That's why the files do not show if the drive is disconnected.

C

chas_m

Trash Without seems like a fantastically bad -- bordering on dumb -- idea to me. Maybe if it were renamed Asking for Trouble ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is the 'Terminal' . Where is it and how does it work?

Well, if you don't know, then you may not want to because potential dangers lurk for the ignorant!

First, the Terminal is an app located in your Utilities folder in Finder -> Applications. Apple OS X is UNIX based (Linux is also based on UNIX), and the Terminal app allows you to communicate w/ your computer at a much deeper level w/o a GUI interface; commands there are powerful and often irreversible, so beware - ;)

Second, by entering and knowing (WELL!) these commands can allow you to do many actions that require numerous steps and/or may not be easily done w/ a GUI interface. As an example, I just went into the app on my MBPro (see attached image) - my Terminal opens in my user folder; I entered the 'ls' command (see arrow) which listed the folders (the period before some are 'hidden' folders) in that directory - notice the hidden folder '.Trash' - after a 'cd' command to enter my trash folder, another 'ls' command (half way down that screen) shows a portion of the contents of my Trash folder on the laptop; from there I could use the 'rm' command to delete one or more items in the trash.

If you mounted that drive described w/ the weirdly named trash item, then you would have to learn how to migrate to that volume and then how to use the appropriate commands. SO, unless you want to buy a book or two and/or google numerous articles on UNIX terminal commands, stay away. I'm an amateur here and rarely go into the Terminal; other members are command line pros and may 'chime in' - I believe that you have 'screwed up' some of your Time Machine backups probably by trying to delete them incorrectly - not sure. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 5.57.49 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the help. I don't think I will go any further I am not tech savvy. I will just live with junk in the trash. The forum is a great place to get help.
Thanks again

M

MacInWin

That's not the best decision because the files still exist on the drive and the space isn't free for you to use, which I presume was why you deleted them in the first place. Terminal is not a good idea, so you might need to do what chscag said in post #4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.