Cool article about i-pads flash incompatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook Pro 15 in. 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4g ram DDR3 and 320gig HDD
I was searching through the internet trying to find out why the i-pod, pad, and phone all do not support flash.

This article shows the authors theory and how this problem will resolve. Pretty interesting :) Click here for article (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Yeah, ushering in HTML 5 and letting Flash become extinct is clearly Apple's strategy. I'm all for the "plug-in free" approach, at the very least it will eliminate waiting to download them, and all the periodic updates. I want to see that lolcat video NOW dammit! :Angry-Tongue:

C

chas_m

Yeah, ushering in HTML 5 and letting Flash become extinct is clearly Apple's strategy.

There is a *reason* Apple now prefers this approach, and its name is Adobe. If Adobe would fix flash, Apple would probably acquiesce (though they would still fight for HTML5 adoption, because its the right thing to do). But this would require Adobe to do something for Apple that they haven't done in almost a decade: get serious when it comes to the Mac platform.

Adobe has made noises like they're going to fix Flash for years and years, but they never do (echoes of Microsoft!). I'm hopeful they got the message when the iPhone became a massive hit without them, but I'm also a little doubtful given some of their recent defensiveness.

If Adobe will get off their behinds and FIX Flash (I mean, when *Firefox* tells you they're stripping it out because it degrades the performance of the browser to unacceptable levels, that tells me I'm not imagining things), make it less buggy and bring its performance to par on all platforms, then I will (and I think Apple would) be glad to have them (and everyone on all platforms would benefit). Till then, Apple will look to find something else to fill the void. And believe me, MS and other companies will be delighted to help them.

If I were Adobe, I'd be nervous. And I would put the Flash team on high alert.

C

chas_m

PS. Good article (the original link). Not mad about their overybusy design, but the content was worthwhile. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I don't think Apple's decision to relove flash support here is purely based on Adobe alone. We all know Apple has a history or moving forward in technology and leaving the old, useless or redundant behind. They did this when they discontinued the use of floppy drives in their Macs, and the same when they left PPC and the same again when they moved to OS X from OS 9.

Be is hard or software or even just pieces of code. And I think they thought flash is one of these things Apple and now also Google think is redundant (cause of Adobe's refual to fix it properly).

And really when you have 2 out of 3 of the biggest names in the internet business (Safari and Google) saying no to flash, then Adobe needs to be worried. And as you said above when Modzilla and their Firefox goes html5 as well then flash will really be dead.

And no flash is not bad. It just means the devs have to make non-flash versions of whatever they are doing now. And they will. And some already are doing this now.

C

chas_m

Be is hard or software or even just pieces of code. And I think they thought flash is one of these things Apple and now also Google think is redundant (cause of Adobe's refual to fix it properly).

And really when you have 2 out of 3 of the biggest names in the internet business (Safari and Google) saying no to flash, then Adobe needs to be worried. And as you said above when Modzilla and their Firefox goes html5 as well then flash will really be dead.

Mobile Firefox and YouTube have already moved in that direction, which should be indicative of their thinking. It isn't just Apple -- the leading internet companies are *all* pretty fed up with inconsistent flash performance and plug-in requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.