clip board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini ,Mac Air Pro, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Go into the Finder by either clicking on the Finder icon in your dock (at the far left) or by clicking on the desktop, choose the Edit menu, and then Show Clipboard.

The Clipboard can only hold one item at a time, but there are several nice utilities that will allow you to save multiple things in the Clipboard, and then paste them into an application in any order that you wish. Here is a free one:

Clipy (free)
https://clipy-app.com
(An advanced clipboard manager that will allow you to copy and store as many things as you like, and then export them in any order that you like. Invaluable for doing research and writing.
Don't let the Japanese on Clipy's home page scare you. This app is entirely in English.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must be an idiot. I can not make the Edit come up either in Finder or on Desktop. I now have 3 clipboard managers on my computer and I can't find out how to make any of them work. For years I just copied and pasted and everything worked. Now I click on Paste Now or Clipy or Copy clip and then nothing happens. I need kindergarten instructions and can't find them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I need kindergarten instructions and can't find them.

You may need only one Multi clipboard Utility Application installed so they don't interfere with each other.

But try a Google search on 'mac Clipy tutorial' such as this:

And at least one hit gives you this:

Hopefully, that might help.

Just change the Google search word for any other Multi-clip utility you might be using, or want to use.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may need only one Multi clipboard Utility Application installed so they don't interfere with each other.

But try a Google search on 'mac Clipy tutorial' such as this:

And at least one hit gives you this:

Hopefully, that might help.

Just change the Google search word for any other Multi-clip utility you might be using, or want to use.

- Patrick
=======
J am on a free trial 14 date on Paste Now. How can I get out of this? Or can I just not buy when free trial is up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
J am on a free trial 14 date on Paste Now. How can I get out of this? Or can I just not buy when free trial is up.
I'll be happy with one clip board management app after I get one to work. I'll set tomorrow aside to getting clip board management working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If you actually mean the Paste - Clipboard Manage‪r‬ application, (I couldn't find any link to "Paste Now" application for Macs), from what I saw and read, I would just Trash it. Especially if it starts off supposedly as a free application, and I sure couldn't find any advantage that it could provide by paying for anything.

It looks like this might be the same app and I believe the same app as found in the App Store??? Neither place has generally good reviews.

Lots of other clipboard managers around that really are free and work better IMHO.

I tend to avoid any that are what I would call over cluttered. I like them plain and fairly simple thank you, like just text and maybe some graphics and free is nice, but I often support such good applications as if they were shareware or pay as you wish or feel good.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just adding a note here to get a link Notification updated and back to rmill777 as he lost the URL, so hopefully, some other members can give him some better help. I am assuming that he will will update this thread.

From a private message I received, he apparently is using or attempting to use PasteNow.app.

I can't help much as I cannot run macOS 10.15 which it apparently requires to run.

BTW: He just happened to mention that he was also100 years of age. and not doing too badly with his Mac and general health I'd say!!! And he also flew B-25s with a little time in P-38s, so he should fit in well with some of you pilots!!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I was disproportionately excited to read this post, as I’ve been frustrated by the lack of a decent clipboard ever since becoming a Mac convert 10 years ago. So I excitedly downloaded clipy and copyclip - but found for both a) I couldn’t work out how to past formatted text from Word, as you can from the default clipboard: whatever i tried it persisted in copying stored clips in plain text and b) I couldn’t get rid of clips once finished with them - it seems to be either wipe the lot, or keep a load of redundant.

Am I missing something vital, or am I yet again disappointed by the clipboard facility in MacOS?

Grateful for any words of wisdom… John

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tried it with CopyClip and could not get it to paste formatted text. It appears that it only works using plain text as you stated. CopyClip 2 is a paid app ($7.99) and offers some features the free version does not have.

With CopyClip, the clips are stored and accumulate but can not be removed one by one. It's all or nothing.

However, consider that both apps you tried are free. If you need something more sophisticated you'll need to keep searching. Here is a list you can go through:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I excitedly downloaded clipy and copyclip - but found for both a) I couldn’t work out how to past formatted text from Word, as you can from the default clipboard: whatever i tried it persisted in copying stored clips in plain text and b) I couldn’t get rid of clips once finished with them - it seems to be either wipe the lot, or keep a load of redundant.

I am an avid user of ClipMenu, the forerunner of Clipy it seems, but I'm not even using the 1.0.x version, and if some things remain the same, when pasting, the application I am using often has an option to "Paste and Match Style" which tends to keep the formatting consistent.
And if I want to remove a single copied item from the ClipMenu menu, it is just a matter of scrolling to the item I want to remove to just highlight it, and then right-click that pops up a small window with an option to "Remove".

IE:
Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 7.05.55 PM.png

with this for an option using a right-click:

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.56.21 PM.png

It sure works well for me, but a shift-click or command+click to select multiple items would have been nice, but I'm not sure that even the later versions have that option, but it certainly is no big deal for me and I seldom remove anything anyway.
It acts as a good memory In case I happened to forget what I might have been doing as I keep all clips saved by Use rather than Date created. ?

PS: That emoji just happened to be in my ClipMenu menu list which makes it very convenient and fast. to use. ?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I am an avid user of ClipMenu, the forerunner of Clipy it seems, but I'm not even using the 1.0.x version, and if some things remain the same, when pasting, the application I am using often has an option to "Paste and Match Style" which tends to keep the formatting consistent.
And if I want to remove a single copied item from the ClipMenu menu, it is just a matter of scrolling to the item I want to remove to just highlight it, and then right-click that pops up a small window with an option to "Remove".

=======
Thank you Patrick - I’ll give that a go
john

Reaction score
However, consider that both apps you tried are free. If you need something more sophisticated you'll need to keep searching. Here is a list you can go through:

Many thanks chscag, I’ll check out that list too
John

Reaction score
Am I missing something vital, or am I yet again disappointed by the clipboard facility in MacOS?

You aren't at all disappointed with the clipboard facility in macOS. You are disappointed in the clipboard facility in Microsoft Word. This is just another one of those instances where Microsoft decided to ignore a standard, and they have provided their own clipboard for Office.

Clipy and other third party applications should work wonderfully with any application that follows Apple's guidelines.

The normal way to paste text into a new application and keep the formatting from the old application when using a Macintossh is:
Command-Option-Shift-V

But Microsoft has to be different. Apparently there are settings in Word that will adjust this behavior. I haven't played with them. This article might help. If not, you need to ask how to do what you want to do in a discussion forum for Microsoft Office.

Reaction score
Thanks Randy - not the first time MS have gone their own way… hadn’t realised that one though! Never had any problems using cmd+V pasting into a document and pasting into Word documents while retaining formating. My frustration has been when using a repeated paste and then I need to use a different, one-off, cut and paste and of course find I have lost the original and then have to go back, find, and re-copy the one I was using all the time ? In my previous life where my employer insisted i used Windows I could easily store and paste frequently used passages, still free to ctrl+c ctrl+v the one-offs without losing the main passage.

That reference, though, is useful, thank you… still learning Mac OS 10 years after transferring!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.