clip board

Reaction score
Hi everyone this might seem a little out of the ordinary but where do I find the clipboard on my mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone this might seem a little out of the ordinary but where do I find the clipboard on my mac

Go into the Finder by either clicking on the Finder icon in your dock (at the far left) or by clicking on the desktop, choose the Edit menu, and then Show Clipboard.

The Clipboard can only hold one item at a time, but there are several nice utilities that will allow you to save multiple things in the Clipboard, and then paste them into an application in any order that you wish. Here is a free one:

Clipy (free)
https://clipy-app.com
(An advanced clipboard manager that will allow you to copy and store as many things as you like, and then export them in any order that you like. Invaluable for doing research and writing.
Don't let the Japanese on Clipy's home page scare you. This app is entirely in English.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is also the CopyClip.app in the Mac App store which is what I suggest instead of "Clipy".

The CopyClip app is free.

Reaction score
There is also the CopyClip.app in the Mac App store which is what I suggest instead of "Clipy".

Why do you recommend CopyClip over Clipy? They are essentially the same exact app, except that Clipy has far more functionality, including the ability to save all clipings to a file, and to optionally strip out all formatting from a clipping (i.e. to paste it as plain text) when pasting via a keystroke.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because CopyClip is from the Mac App store and will install without any further fuss. And basically both apps are the same. I use CopyClip and it works well.

Besides, the name "Clipy" reminds me of the infamous Microsoft "Clipy" icon from MS Windows. Whatever. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Because CopyClip is from the Mac App store and will install without any further fuss. And basically both apps are the same. I use CopyClip and it works well.

Hahahaha....
You didn't even bother to check out Clipy before you decided to say that CopyClip was better, did you? They are both exactly the same, only Clipy has way more features. SMH

Even another alternative that I have used for years Is ClipMenu.app:

ClipMenu is sort of the father of Clipy. Clipy is based on the open source code of ClipMenu (whose original developer has stopped developing it), and is a further development of it. See:

I do still keep ClipMenu around for one feature that for some reason hasn't made it to Clipy, and that's the ability to paste everything stored in ClipMenu all at once. That feature is invaluable if you are creating a list that you are drawing from several sources.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm using CopyClip, free version from the App Store (there is a CopyClip 2 paid for version) but whichever you choose they are all huge improvements on the native Clip Board. Clipy is great if you need to do more, like add folders and edit snippets.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Image result for clipy
Image result for clipy
Image result for clipy
Image result for clipy
More images

Office Assistant

Hey Randy:

Doesn't that bring back memories. :)

Reaction score
Doesn't that bring back memories.

It would probably bring back a lot of memories if I was a Windows user. But I use a Mac, and the default digital assistant in Microsoft Office for the Macintosh was Max, not Clipy. Max was a toaster (i.e. original) Macintosh.

A lot of Mac users hated Max, but that was because they couldn't figure out how to turn off or adjust the intrusive digital assistant. The trick, as I recall, was to hold down the command key and click on Max himself. Once you did that you got a full slate of potential configurations and even a choice of other characters.

I preferred The Professor, who looked like Einstein, and he had a different "personality" than Max. He was way more tolerable, and even useful. It was possible to adjust the digital assistant to only appear in instances where you might really need him. (Such as when creating mail merges.) He could be adjusted to be invisible all other times, unless summoned.

It's a shame that Microsoft abandoned this very useful feature, instead of making it easier to figure out and adjust so that it was actually helpful and not an annoyance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do still keep ClipMenu around for one feature that for some reason hasn't made it to Clipy, and that's the ability to paste everything stored in ClipMenu all at once. That feature is invaluable if you are creating a list that you are drawing from several sources.

Interesting Randy, but I have never seen that feature mentioned If I ever wanted to use it, but I doubt I would ever have to paste 80 items which is the total of multi-cliped copied items I have available In all of my ClipMenu folders.

Where do I find the instructions to use the feature??? Thanks... ?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
This is my favorite.
Flycut

Reaction score
Where do I find the instructions to use the feature???

I've never seen instructions for using ClipMenu. I determine features by going through the Preferences.

The feature that I referenced is, I believe:

ClipManu menu --> Preferences --> Export Clipboard History As A Single File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never seen instructions for using ClipMenu. I determine features by going through the Preferences.
The feature that I referenced is, I believe:
ClipManu menu --> Preferences --> Export Clipboard History As A Single File

Thanks, Randy,
I had just tried using that option as it seems to be the only thing available when looking in Its preferences and it worked, but rather an all-or-nothing thing.

It would be nicer If it had some sort of shift+click option to select just a shorter range that might be required.
But I guess the select-and-delete of any surplus Items doesn't take very long when copying and pasting the items from the exported list.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is my favorite.
Flycut

Unfortunately, this user's comment from that site would kill its usefulness for me If it still has the problem:
Bubbalumpkis , 08/12/2014
... but Flycut has a bug that does not allow it to remember your settings after a restart - unless you tell it to save after each clip… It won’t save your preferences whenever they’re changed like most other apps and it took me a while to figure out how to get it to save its preferences. There’re a couple of reports of this problem on the developers GitHub, but it’s still a problem.

I just cannot imagine trying to use a Mac without any multi-clip application utility.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Me neither, it really is invaluable. I can't remember what utility I was using before CopyClip, I think it was a 32bit app so ceased to function in Catalina but its been a long time since I have not had a similar app. I can however still remember the times when I would accidentally overwrite a copied name, phrase, password ect ect. So annoying.:mad:. It's one of the first things I suggest for new users.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I just cannot imagine trying to use a Mac without any multi-clip application utility.
Me neither, it really is invaluable.

I completely agree. I can't understand why Apple doesn't include its own. The suggested apps above really make it unnecessary for me to mention mine - but I shall anyway :).

I use Jumpcut (free). Nothing special about it. It has one function. It copies text. Not photographs or music files. Its Preferences are very basic as well; but it suits me fine. "It just works".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 5.1 3.1 2.1 iMacs,Minis,Lampshade,G4,G3 desktops ColorClassic (PPC),etc
No problem with it at my end. It remembers everything between shutdowns.I still have clips there from weeks ago.
I just wrote this draft reply, and then deleted after copying it.
Shut my computer down, restarted and pasted it here.
It works flawlessly.
Don't know what problem that user had in 2014, but I've never seen it in the two years or so I've used the app.

Unfortunately, this user's comment from that site would kill its usefulness for me If it still has the problem:
- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use Jumpcut (free). Nothing special about it. It has one function. It copies text. Not photographs or music files. Its Preferences are very basic as well; but it suits me fine. "It just works".

It seems that Jumpcut Is just the older name for Flycut, according to one user's comment at the URL above:

Malfhok, 09/19/2020
Simple, Mac-like, and essential!
I've used Flycut since it was called Jumpcut—so first of all, thank you to the communty who forked Jumpcut and kept it alive. I cannot use a computer without a multi-clipboard utility and this is the best.

I must say that I appreciate the simplicity and functionality of ClipMenu and It's not overly elaborate as some multi-clip applications tend to be. And it also "Just works"!!! It is also nice that we have a choice as to which multi-clip application we may want to use!!! Maybe some users may use several different ones??? ?

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.