can't get writeable access to an external HD...

Reaction score
I have a typical WD external hard drive... it was writeable before, but now, because I had been using it for backup on a windows machine, it's read-only... but I won't be using it for the backup on that windows machine anymore, so need to make it writeable again.. have not found a way to do this on my mac...

so it occurred to me I had to connect it again to the windows machine where I had been doing the backup to make it writeable again.. and indeed on that machine I was able to remove the contents np, and save a file to it (& rename the HD..) but when I connected it to my mac again I was again denied write-access.. it remains read-only on my mac... how do I make it writeable on my mac, please (I'm on 10.6.8..)
(do I maybe need to do it in unix? what would be the command(s)? I can't find a way to format it on the mac.. (on windows you right-click on it and one option is "format", I see no such option on the mac when I right-click on it..)

thank you...

OP
K
Reaction score
never mind, found solution.... (disk utility...)

thank you...

M

MacInWin

Glad you sorted it, but as a further help, if the drive was formatted NTFS (for Windows) then it will be read-only to OS X unless you get a third party NTFS driver for it. ParagonNTFS is the one that is recommended most often here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.