Browser Upgrade

krs

Reaction score
Also, how do you explain their advertisement?
Have you never come across an advertisement that promises more than is actually delivered? Or is misleading?
I see those all the time.
LOL, so why are you even concerned then if you have nothing formatted to APFS?
I'm interested in a lot of things that don't affect me directly, aren't you?
And in this case, I'm going to end up with APFS eventually, so this is not just an academic interest.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That is true and tbh I'd rather have it right than fast.

I think you are right about the two type of utilitiies possibly needing very different information from Apple. The discussion that was linked to suggested as much. Its still been a long wait given that APFS support started in High SIerra.

I stoped using DW before APFS came about because I just couldn't justify the cost. As other utilities improved I was seeing less and less need for it. Once the cost of the program reached the cost of a new hard drive I pretty mucch gave up on it.

krs

Reaction score
That is true and tbh I'd rather have it right than fast.

I think you are right about the two type of utilitiies possibly needing very different information from Apple. The discussion that was linked to suggested as much. Its still been a long wait given that APFS support started in High Sierra.
I don't know how proprietary Apple thinks APFS is and what unique benefits it provides compared to other file systems, but when I ran a Product Management group at a high tech company we certainly would not provide internal design documents to any external company.
If the external company provided a complimentary product to ours that we deemed was beneficial to support our product sales and if we had no interest to provide that product or capability ourselves, we would create a "watered-down" document to allow that company to do the development, but the creation of that document had a very low priority.
I have no idea where Apple stands with all of that when it comes to APFS, but in the past I have seen Apple incorporate features into macOS where one previously needed software from a third party essentially putting that third party out of business.
Maybe Apple feels that they have built all the recovery mechanisms required into APFS and disk utility (or will when they have completed that development) and DW or the other programs are no longer necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't know how proprietary Apple thinks APFS is and what unique benefits it provides compared to other file systems,

I sure hope they supply more information than what I could find with a search on 'APFS support' at the developer site. But of course I don't have full access as I'm not a paid developer, but they did supply this:
What's New in Apple File System
What's New in Apple File System - WWDC 2017 - Videos - Apple Developer

But I think any software developers are going to need a wee bit more than that!!! :Smirk:
I guess the info is in there somewhere, but not for general public use or access, and then again maybe only for certain developers, if and when Apple allows such access.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.